Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Throwback to April 1989

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Who else was there when we last beat Man City in the league? :)
April 1st 1989

Was a terrific match! We won 2-1 with goals from Alan Curbishley (with a retaken pen) and a late OG from Ian Brightwell.

Ballboy Keith Cuss got sacked for heading the ball into the West Stand

City had a couple of yet-to-be-famous Galllagher brothers in the away end.

There were yellow inflatable bananas galore

Madonna was at #1 with Like A Prayer

I was 13. Lovely stuff!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was there for that one - sat up in the West Stand with my Dad.

Only time Curbishley missed a penalty for the Albion as I recall, just as well City encroached on it!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
During the late stages of the game, I did mention to my son that some of us have seen Brighton beat City in the top division before with 4-1 wins in 79 and 81 so it was nothing new.

So, anyone else seen all of our 6 wins against Manchester City

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
April 1st 1989

Really is that fact Liam was 17, doubt he traveled home and away.
I’m going urban myth.
I was living in Manchester at the time and working aged 19 and couldn’t afford to get down, how’s a popstar wannabe gonna be able to afford it.

We used to go to the same indie clubs at the time, no way would he back in time for Berlin’s

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
April 1st 1989

Was a terrific match! We won 2-1 with goals from Alan Curbishley (with a retaken pen) and a late OG from Ian Brightwell.

Ballboy Keith Cuss got sacked for heading the ball into the West Stand

There were yellow inflatable bananas galore

Madonna was at #1 with Like A Prayer

I was 13. Lovely stuff!

Yes I was there, but Keith Cuss didn't head the ball. He allowed the ball to hit his head to protect his hands.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I’m going urban myth.
I was living in Manchester at the time and working aged 19 and couldn’t afford to get down, how’s a popstar wannabe gonna be able to afford it.

We used to go to the same indie clubs at the time, no way would he back in time for Berlin’s

Ha ha - don’t shoot the messenger - Noel must’ve been making it up then when he mentioned on the box a couple of years ago?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Met the Kool Cats that day (by then handing out cards entitled 'Mayne Line Motorway Service Crew') , we didn't cover ourselves in glory!

Edit: In hindsight it may have been earlier than '89.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was there, a couple of weeks before my 14th birthday. I can remember very clearly the Cuss incident and the Ian Brightwell own goal but not the retaken penalty.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I’m going urban myth.

One bit of trivia that sticks in my mind from when oasis were being interviewed back in their peak was that they had a target of doing a whole season of watching every city game home and away which they managed to achieve so that may well have been that season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
During the late stages of the game, I did mention to my son that some of us have seen Brighton beat City in the top division before with 4-1 wins in 79 and 81 so it was nothing new.

So, anyone else seen all of our 6 wins against Manchester City

I was at the 1981 game with my Dad, and the FA cup one :clap2:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One bit of trivia that sticks in my mind from when oasis were being interviewed back in their peak was that they had a target of doing a whole season of watching every city game home and away which they managed to achieve so that may well have been that season.

The game was 1989, Formed in 1991 and did not really hit their peak until 1995, so I smell billy big bollox, trying to seem like right on football dudes.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh I remember the game and the Cuss incident.

It was one of those games where packed Goldstone were willing the ref to blow his whistle to end the relentless City onslaught.

The Cuss header bought the biggest cheer of the day. The City player closest was livid.

I turned to my mum and asked "can he do that?" She just smiled

Brilliant days

D

Deleted member 2719

I was there for that one - sat up in the West Stand with my Dad.

Only time Curbishley missed a penalty for the Albion as I recall, just as well City encroached on it!

Blimey, impressively detailed knowledge of that, do you have a diary........serious question?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't remember.

It's possible. I would have been back from Uni for Easter and therefore almost 99% likely that I would have gone, but I have no recollection of it at all.

Back then, City were just another football team.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The game was 1989, Formed in 1991 and did not really hit their peak until 1995, so I smell billy big bollox, trying to seem like right on football dudes.

Oh I see what you mean now.
You are thinking they said they did a season of going to all games but probably didn't.
Fair enough.

It would be another thing that I can add to the list of things that oasis said they did that I thought was pretty cool but actually was bullshit they made up to create an image for themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here