Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football Independent Regulators

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Below is a link to the petition for the Government to introduce an independent regulator for football.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584632

The Government should use the recently established fan led review of football to introduce an Independent Football Regulator in England to put fans back at the heart of our national game. This should happen by December 2021.

More details
1. Like a referee, an independent regulator would safeguard our beautiful game impartially. This doesn’t currently exist.
2. An Independent Regulator could protect the game against another attempt at a super league or other efforts to put money ahead of fans.
3. Water companies, energy providers and the media all have an independent regulator. Football matters to millions and should also have a regulator of its own.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
104,000 signatures!

Below is a link to the petition for the Government to introduce an independent regulator for football.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584632

The Government should use the recently established fan led review of football to introduce an Independent Football Regulator in England to put fans back at the heart of our national game. This should happen by December 2021.

More details
1. Like a referee, an independent regulator would safeguard our beautiful game impartially. This doesn’t currently exist.
2. An Independent Regulator could protect the game against another attempt at a super league or other efforts to put money ahead of fans.
3. Water companies, energy providers and the media all have an independent regulator. Football matters to millions and should also have a regulator of its own.

Let's hope that any regulator is far more competent than most referees.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would like to see an FA/regulator overseen emergency fund set up for clubs who are in trouble.
If a club is in financial trouble, a team of independent accountants is sent in to access the problem and act quickly to save clubs. No points deduction, just an assessment of how the club could be saved. As part of this, the FA, PFA, and Premier League to set up an emergency fund type thing that would bale out clubs to prevent them folding, like Bury. Maybe a percentage of transfer fees could be added to this fund, a percentage of each new tv deal, and the above organisations to contribute x amount as well. To have a club go under for the want of £2 million is unbelievable when you consider the amount of money paid in wages.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've signed the position but wonder exactly who would be suitable for this role. I'm guessing they will need to have some legal expertise, be financially astute and, of course, be a lover of the game from a fans perspective. They would also need to be balanced when dealing with the needs of poor clubs as well as rich.

I'm not sure anyone would actually be able to do the job!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would like to see an FA/regulator overseen emergency fund set up for clubs who are in trouble.
If a club is in financial trouble, a team of independent accountants is sent in to access the problem and act quickly to save clubs. No points deduction, just an assessment of how the club could be saved. As part of this, the FA, PFA, and Premier League to set up an emergency fund type thing that would bale out clubs to prevent them folding, like Bury. Maybe a percentage of transfer fees could be added to this fund, a percentage of each new tv deal, and the above organisations to contribute x amount as well. To have a club go under for the want of £2 million is unbelievable when you consider the amount of money paid in wages.

So that would include all those that recklessly spent money they could not afford, this fund might have to help Derby and Sheffield Wednesday I assume.

Sorry but disagree

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Independent regulators" rubber-stamped the franchising of Wimbledon 90 miles up the M1.

Just because they're independent, doesn't necessarily mean they're competent. And if this government is in ANY way involved in setting it up, then sorry, I'm out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"Independent regulators" rubber-stamped the franchising of Wimbledon 90 miles up the M1.

Just because they're independent, doesn't necessarily mean they're competent. And if this government is in ANY way involved in setting it up, then sorry, I'm out.

I completely agree. It would be like the appointment of Paul Dacre being made head of Ofcom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here