Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
think there is an element of be careful what you wish for with this ...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How could it be worse than the Traitorous 6 trying to form the ESL? Genuine question.

To be fair I don't understand enough about the intricates of it - I would just be cautious of government involvement via a regulator into football. Maybe I am wrong just seems dangerous

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To be fair I don't understand enough about the intricates of it - I would just be cautious of government involvement via a regulator into football. Maybe I am wrong just seems dangerous

Yes, It's always good to be wary of Gov't intervention. In this case, self-governance has proven itself not fit for purpose, imo.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How could it be worse than the Traitorous 6 trying to form the ESL? Genuine question.

whats positive about government involvement in sport? really cant see this being productive in the long term. it wouldn't have the powers to delve into systemic issues (ownership, finances), while ineffective at football governance covered by FA, EPL and FL. and ultimately what could have been done about the teams wanting to form ESL? times government has stuck its nose in are wildly disliked (all seater, drink rules, ticketing rules etc)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are good regulators and bad ones.

Would it be anything other than a sounding board? It's very hard to stop powerful club owners from doing what they want.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
As an old cynic I am sure this will be a useless gesture and if it were to come to pass it would soon become just another sinecure for the mateocracy. That said, it should annoy some rich people that I am jealous of so I signed it anyway.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Gary Neville and lots of ex-players and respected journos have sent an open letter calling for an independent regulator for football:

https://gary-neville.medium.com/an-open-letter-e5b4749fb50a

There's also a petition for a parliamentary debate on the matter:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584632

If it gets to 100k signatories, there has to be consideration of a parliamentary debate. It's currently at 68k and rising fast.

Sorry to use this thread as a portal, but I sent you a PM on 4th May and don't know if you've seen it. Have you received it? Cheers, JS.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As there are two threads, I'll post here what I posted on the other.

I've signed the position but wonder exactly who would be suitable for this role. I'm guessing they will need to have some legal expertise, be financially astute and, of course, be a lover of the game from a fans perspective. They would also need to be balanced when dealing with the needs of poor clubs as well as rich.

I'm not sure anyone would actually be able to do the job!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
whats positive about government involvement in sport? really cant see this being productive in the long term. it wouldn't have the powers to delve into systemic issues (ownership, finances), while ineffective at football governance covered by FA, EPL and FL. and ultimately what could have been done about the teams wanting to form ESL? times government has stuck its nose in are wildly disliked (all seater, drink rules, ticketing rules etc)

Governments don't need to be inherently inefficient, ineffective and distant. Governments can legislate for the benefit of specific communities, or even the people at large. As we're posing genuine questions on this thread, how do you think Germany has arrived at the 50+1 model of ownership? Do you think this was dreamed up by their football authorities and/or communities, or is it a more widespread feature of their culture?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Governments don't need to be inherently inefficient, ineffective and distant. Governments can legislate for the benefit of specific communities, or even the people at large. As we're posing genuine questions on this thread, how do you think Germany has arrived at the 50+1 model of ownership? Do you think this was dreamed up by their football authorities and/or communities, or is it a more widespread feature of their culture?

sure, they dont have to be ineffient of ineffective, its just an unfortunate side effect. you say government can legislate, thats not being asked for here though is it, an independent regulator doesnt have law making power. Germany arrived at 50+1 ownership due to their culture, with their FA ennforcing the rule not government (and with a number of exceptions).

so what is it we want a government appointed regulator to do, and that the FA cant do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here