Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you think Wellbeck will stay next season

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
After the Leeds game he was talking to journalists about our progression next season.

He was talking as if it’s a given he’ll be here.

We are a very good fit for him too don’t forget. My verdict is he’s staying.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bloody hope so, worth at least a two season contract for his professional attitude while here, you only had to see him celebrate on Saturday night to know his passion is still there. He brings so much to the squad, and just how much would we have to pay to get a player of his calibre to the club ?

Complete no brainer, sign him up to an extension...

NOW

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends how important salary is as I am 100% certain that another club will offer him more. Saying that I think we are good for each other, we have handled his fitness well imo, like we have done with Lallana. Any doubts, they don’t play.

I can see it being a stressful wait but hope he puts pen to paper shortly.

Hard to call as he is a desirable player for non top six clubs imo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hindsight suggests he should have had a caveat heavy second year contract extension when he originally singed.
Chances are he would have hit every metric set down and it would be a moot point now.

For me it would be nice if he stayed on, for one more year, but that would be down to someone else leaving in order for a marquee signing to arrive.

I still can't see that happening.
I can't see the club going again with the same strike force.
So I can see him gone.

I also can't see myself being right. :lol:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It must be a plus that our medical staff and GP clearly have an understanding of the player and his physical condition.

I presume at the end of the day as ever it will come down to money and term of contract, the last month or so he has put himself into the shop window with goals, performance and minutes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why not? He seems very happy.

He's had a fair few seasons on Man.Utd. and Arsenal wages, so he should be pretty well off, and even if we are paying less than he was on before, it'll still be shedloads. So long as him and his agent don't get greedy hopefully he can have another happy year with us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I also can't see myself being right. :lol:

This.

Not if we continue to spell his surname wrong :moo:

Also this.

It made me google his surname...

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Welbeck

"Recorded in several spellings including Allcraft, Holdcraft, Holdcroft, Holcroft, Holecroft and possibly others, this is an English surname. It is locational either from what would seem to be a 'lost' medieval village called Holcroft since this as shown below is the first recorded spelling of the surname, or topographical for somebody who lived at a small farm (croft) in a hollow or valley (hol). Surnames from 'lost' villages are a feature of the surnames lists of the British Isles. It is estimated that at least three thousand surnames do originate from such places, of which the only public reminder of the former existencein the 21st century, is the surname itself. As to why these places disappeared has been the subject of many books but essentially it was through changes in agricultural practices, and such natural disasters as the famous plagues of the 13th to the 17th century. Examples of recordings include Johannes de Holcroft in the Poll Tax register fro Yorkshire in 1379 and George Holdcroft who married Elizabeth Courtney at St James Clerkenwell in the city of London, in 1668."

Not quite sure how "Holcraft" turned into "Welbeck" but I guess there's some logic in there somewhere..

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I really hope so. He's our best striker.

Everyone talks about an "upgrade" on Maupay. I don't agree. We need a striker better than Maupay and Welbeck, to be our main guy. But we still need Maupay and Welbeck.

It's a long season and we have strikers who shouldn't be on or around the first team (yet) - namely Connolly and Zeqiri.

So with the Bissouma money, an attempt at a goalscorer would be essential - the main guy, with Maupay and Welbeck getting lots of action too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hopefully. He seems a sensible, mature sort of bloke who, as pointed out above, doesn't need to chase the money now, so fingers crossed.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
More likely than not.

I think his injury record, age and his underwhelming spell at Watford will prevent other clubs blowing us out of the water wage wise.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why not? He seems very happy.

He's had a fair few seasons on Man.Utd. and Arsenal wages, so he should be pretty well off, and even if we are paying less than he was on before, it'll still be shedloads. So long as him and his agent don't get greedy hopefully he can have another happy year with us.

Not sure you're thinking like a footballer

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Depends how important salary is as I am 100% certain that another club will offer him more. Saying that I think we are good for each other, we have handled his fitness well imo, like we have done with Lallana. Any doubts, they don’t play.

I can see it being a stressful wait but hope he puts pen to paper shortly.

Hard to call as he is a desirable player for non top six clubs imo

Feeling positive he will stay. He risks being second fiddle at clubs that could throw some money at him. I get the impression that for him, with his career fast moving into his 30s he wants to play. Some clubs might be able to offer more money, but not sure they'll be able to offer as many minutes. We're an ideal fit, have already shown a lot of faith in him when there wasn't a queue lets be fair. Expecting this one to be sorted out fairly quickly.

Stumpy Tim

I really like him on the left of the front three, but not particularly as the main front man. Definitely want him to stay, but really want a better focal point up top. If Welbeck can get 8-10 goals from the left that would be a great return, especially if we can get 10-15 from someone else.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This.

Also this.

It made me google his surname...

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Welbeck

"Recorded in several spellings including Allcraft, Holdcraft, Holdcroft, Holcroft, Holecroft and possibly others, this is an English surname. It is locational either from what would seem to be a 'lost' medieval village called Holcroft since this as shown below is the first recorded spelling of the surname, or topographical for somebody who lived at a small farm (croft) in a hollow or valley (hol). Surnames from 'lost' villages are a feature of the surnames lists of the British Isles. It is estimated that at least three thousand surnames do originate from such places, of which the only public reminder of the former existencein the 21st century, is the surname itself. As to why these places disappeared has been the subject of many books but essentially it was through changes in agricultural practices, and such natural disasters as the famous plagues of the 13th to the 17th century. Examples of recordings include Johannes de Holcroft in the Poll Tax register fro Yorkshire in 1379 and George Holdcroft who married Elizabeth Courtney at St James Clerkenwell in the city of London, in 1668."

Not quite sure how "Holcraft" turned into "Welbeck" but I guess there's some logic in there somewhere..

Yup, makes no sense whatsoever :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here