Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oh Tomer.........

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This just made me feel really sad. Perhaps it's because I really loved him as a player and greatly respected his bromance with King Kayal.

Meanwhile, Wellington Phoenix's Israeli forward Tomer Hemed is facing scrutiny from Australia's A-league over two goal celebrations during his team's match with Melbourne City on Sunday.

After scoring a goal Hemed ran to a group of supporters and draped himself in the Israeli national flag. After a second goal he put on a kippah, covered his face with one hand and pointed to the sky.

Phoenix general manager David Dome told New Zealand media that the club had already spoken to Hemed, and that they would look at the issue in more detail "over the next couple of days".

"We respect people's rights for their expressions but at the same time we have to be very sensitive to what is going on in the Middle East and the human tragedy that is happening there," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-57141238

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This just made me feel really sad. Perhaps it's because I really loved him as a player and greatly respected his bromance with King Kayal.

Meanwhile, Wellington Phoenix's Israeli forward Tomer Hemed is facing scrutiny from Australia's A-league over two goal celebrations during his team's match with Melbourne City on Sunday.

After scoring a goal Hemed ran to a group of supporters and draped himself in the Israeli national flag. After a second goal he put on a kippah, covered his face with one hand and pointed to the sky.

Phoenix general manager David Dome told New Zealand media that the club had already spoken to Hemed, and that they would look at the issue in more detail "over the next couple of days".

"We respect people's rights for their expressions but at the same time we have to be very sensitive to what is going on in the Middle East and the human tragedy that is happening there," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-57141238

He's celebrated literally EVERY A-league goal he's scored, in exactly the same fashion, with the same group of Israeli fans. There has not been any issue with it, until he did it this week, perhaps insensitively given current events.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When he was here he could do little wrong I'm my eyes, not a lot has changed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So sad, and all done in the heat of the moment, and with the best intentions. We know that Tomer has no truck with the arabs in Israel, from his strong friendship with Beram Kayal in his Albion days.

But, even more sadly, l guess l can see the club's point of view too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This thread is going to end up in the Bear pit.

#FreePalestine is all I have to say on this matter.

There's an awful lot more to say but for the sake of keeping this out of the Bear Pit I won't say it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] 's post draws a line under this as it appears Tomer didn't do it in response to recent events. You could argue that he might have been best advised to celebrate in a different way for the time being but no doubt he would've got stick for that too.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
it appears Tomer didn't do it in response to recent events.

From the description 'After a second goal he put on a kippah, covered his face with one hand and pointed to the sky.' it would suggest it's some kind of stop aimlessly firing rockets at the Israeli population statement.

Desperate situation in Gaza though.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Religion eh..?

Still killing more than it saves.

As it has always been.

I wonder what the answer is..? Tricky one that

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
From the description 'After a second goal he put on a kippah, covered his face with one hand and pointed to the sky.' it would suggest it's some kind of stop aimlessly firing rockets at the Israeli population statement.

According to post 2 on this thread, he's done exactly the same celebration throughout his time in the A League.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's an awful lot more to say but for the sake of keeping this out of the Bear Pit I won't say it.

Although it appears I could say what I really want to and keep it out of the Bear Pit given a mod has done the correct thing and CLOSED the Bear Pit. Was an utterly stupid idea anyway ... The Bear Pit I mean, not what I think about the current situation with Gaza and Israel.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I don't see anything wrong in discussing sensitive issues. It's only a few who spoil it for others. The key is always to measure tone and be respectful in disagreement.

The Bear Pit is for those who cannot do that or choose not to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Bear Pit is for those who cannot do that or choose not to.

Not any more:-

Temporarily closed to allow all the usual suspects who hang out in here, squabbling like 7-year-olds, never convincing anyone of their point of view and repeatedly reporting the posts of "the other side" to chill out for a while.

Seriously - you act like f**king children and should be embarrassed at yourselves.

This will re-open at some future time. Or maybe it won't.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Not wrong - although the inhabitants usually were. :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The sooner the cowards of Hamas stop hiding behind the skirts of women and children to lob rockets into Israeli towns and settlements, the sooner Israel will stop massively retaliating. Same as it ever was

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here