Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Strimmer advice

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Morning Chaps

Can anyone recommend a decent strimmer where the cutting wire doesn't keep breaking off every 30 seconds.

Cheers all

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Morning Chaps

Can anyone recommend a decent strimmer where the cutting wire doesn't keep breaking off every 30 seconds.

Cheers all

How much strimming do you have to do? Would it be too much to use a pair of shears like we did in the olden days?!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I got a petrol four in one multi tool from Aldi middle aisle around 5 years back. Had a strimmer, bush cutter, pole saw and hedge trimmer - Was £100 odd, still going strong.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely it's the quality of the cutting wire rather than the strimmer that's the issue here?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I bought a Black & Decker cordless one on Amazon Black Friday event last (via NSC). Reduced from £149 to £90 and added an extra battery for £20. One battery on normal power gives up to 30 min cutting and I cut some really tough thistles and other weeds with it. I'm pleased and recommend it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If bought this from Amazon a couple of years ago: Worx 20V Max Cordless Grass Trimmer – WG157E. Currently £75, but I think I paid less.

I used to hate strimmers because of the cord problem, but this has been perfect despite having to work around rough stone walls. Battery lasts pretty well, and it's easy to get out for occasional use.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Morning Chaps

Cheers all

I got this, admittedly the lawn mower first (which was the best reviewed I could see) and then the strimmer and later the hedge trimmer neither of which I needed the battery for as they are all interchangeable. Used the strimmer several times and the wire has been faultless

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PX79XNF/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=8eee484028db427bb7c531346e47b5ea&hsa_cr_id=2565865910302&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=b88e71ea-965c-43f3-bd49-c34aa6c1d540&pd_rd_w=SXtDj&pd_rd_wg=WCqiy&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_1_title

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Morning Chaps

Cheers all

The bloke next door to me is quite decent at it, and as of yet I haven’t seen him break down whilst doing it

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Get yourself one of these baby's. strimmer.jpg

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Bosch do one with plastic blades (like a flymo) rather than nylon string, I've had mine for a few years

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Surely it's the quality of the cutting wire rather than the strimmer that's the issue here?

The quality of striimming nylon in the modern day .... if anything needed it’s own thread this does..

Obviously not thread for strimming as such

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Morning Chaps

Cheers all

In reference to my earlier post on this thread, it was a serious question! The amount of people who spend a lot of money on strimmers in order to cut round a couple of posts, numbers many. If you've got huge banks to do, then you would require a strimmer.
How much "strimming" is there to do?
We always bought Echo petrol strimmers for commercial use. However, there are electric cordless strimmers which are getting better (like electric cars on a miniature scale), but at the moment, nothing beats a good old non-ecofriendly petrol one with 3mm chord.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here