Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] I’m Feeling Nervous

el punal

No, not Albion or football related. Today will be the first time I’ve travelled on a train and a bus since February 2020. I’m meeting up with a friend to celebrate today’s easing of Covid restrictions in a pub in Winchester - all booked and boxes ticked!

Being cocooned at home for the past fifteen months and being only very local in my travels, apart from a wonderful trip to Brighton recently by car, I have lived like a hermit. Nervous excitement and trepidation spring to mind for today’s proceedings. Has anyone else experienced the same, or am I being a complete tw*t? (No, don’t answer that last bit!). :drink:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No, not Albion or football related. Today will be the first time I’ve travelled on a train and a bus since February 2020. I’m meeting up with a friend to celebrate today’s easing of Covid restrictions in a pub in Winchester - all booked and boxes ticked!

Being cocooned at home for the past fifteen months and being only very local in my travels, apart from a wonderful trip to Brighton recently by car, I have lived like a hermit. Nervous excitement and trepidation spring to mind for today’s proceedings. Has anyone else experienced the same, or am I being a complete tw*t? (No, don’t answer that last bit!). :drink:

You'll get over it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've travelled by bus at least two or three times a week for the past year - everyone is masked, there's sanitiser on every bus and everyone is socially distanced. I've not had any nerves about it

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It’s understandable but once you get going it will be fine. I sometimes think the thought is worse than the action.

el punal

I've travelled by bus at least two or three times a week for the past year - everyone is masked, there's sanitiser on every bus and everyone is socially distanced. I've not had any nerves about it

I’m not nervous about the Covid related stuff, it’s just about going out and about for the first time in yonks. Still, with the first pint down me I’ll be right as rain! :cheers:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd be less concerned on a bus now, with people distancing, surfaces cleaned, than before.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Depends on the pub in Winchester. There’s one called the Albion very close to the station....... not that I’ve ever been in there.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Trains are okay, still get dickheads who think the rules don't apply to them, but, just as pre-Covid, public transport would be great, if it wasn't for the public. Majority of people are fine though.

There is a cracking little boozer right by the station in Winchester where you can settle your nerves. It's called The Albion, so you'll feel right at home.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

There's going to be an awful lot of this for those that haven't been off out to work during the past 14 months. It's only natural and will pass soon enough. My parents have been shielding throughout but since having both their jabs they're started going out again. My mum went in a shop for the first time since March 2020 last week. Said she found the whole experience very odd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends on the pub in Winchester. There’s one called the Albion very close to the station....... not that I’ve ever been in there.

Trains are okay, still get dickheads who think the rules don't apply to them, but, just as pre-Covid, public transport would be great, if it wasn't for the public. Majority of people are fine though.

There is a cracking little boozer right by the station in Winchester where you can settle your nerves. It's called The Albion, so you'll feel right at home.

Hands down, the most expensive pint I’ve ever bought, outside of hotel bars. :eek:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

What I will say as someone with similar trepidation to you is that in my experience most businesses and hospitality are really going the extra mile to make their customers feel safe and covid compliance.

Our local pub we went to last week made you sign a covid code of conduct before entering, temperatures were taken, you were only allowed to leave your table to go to the toilet or to leave at the end of your meal/drinks, all servers wore high grade face masks as well as visors and gloves and did not touch any of the food or drinks, tables were very well spaced out too.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Off to London on Friday for a long weekend with the missus - will be the first time weve been anywhere except work and the kids sports activities since all this began. Feeling weirdly excited but also slightly apprehensive, even though I know we will probably be safe as we are both jabbed, and restaurants / theatres / transport etc are going to be sticking to strict rules etc.
Going by coach as the trains were stupidly expensive (over £100!) and off to see Les Mis on Saturday night....cant wait.

Will be (hopefully) a weekend of relative normality again after what feels a VERY long time of putting things on hold!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just go off with a bang. Go out now to your local store, pull out your penis and thump your chest like Tarzan. Everything else is going to feel real easy. Its like if you're afraid of heights, you should start parachuting before climbing that ladder.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’m not nervous about the Covid related stuff, it’s just about going out and about for the first time in yonks. Still, with the first pint down me I’ll be right as rain! :cheers:

Which of course is the whole issue.

Once you have alcohol, your guard is down. This affects everyone and one of the joys/ pains of life.

At the end of the day we all need to be careful and cautious and realise that as much as we all want this to have gone away, it hasn’t and there are still people who by choice or circumstance have not been vaccinated yet.

Enjoy your day, but just be sensible.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

You will not be the only person feeling like this and it is quite understandable given the year that we have had. I hope that you can enjoy the day as best you can. Whilst there is clearly a desire to return to normal it has been a long time since anyone can remember what normal was, I think some trepidation is to be expected.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here