Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Who's the Bloke Who Shouts "Awaaay!!"?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Every game, it's always the same. Whenever a corner is taken, and the ball is arcing menacingly over the penalty box, some unseen voice bellows, at deafening volume, "Awaaay!!" .

Not just any old voice, this one has all the menacingly strangled articulation of a barking mad drill-sergeant. Doesn't matter where the game's being played either: Southampton or South Shields; Celtic Park or Fratton Park. And for all I know, Portslade or Port Said; same voice, everywhere.

Surely, all this unsettlingly feral bellowing does seem a tad superfluous. Ask yourself: how many times do seasoned professional defenders really need reminding of the required direction in which the ball must be propelled in order to prevent a goal? Might they otherwise turn to face the wrong way and head it triumphantly into their own net?

I've decided it has to be the same bloke, there at every game. Somehow able to travel simultaneously, Santa-like, to all points of the globe in order to deliver this very sensible advice to the halfbacks – and indeed halfwits - of the world. .

And don't tell me it's actually only the home goalkeeper. Were that the case, he might expect in exchange from his defenders, when facing a penalty kick, or a swerving cross, a sarcastic chorus of "Catch it!". Doesn't happen.

If you don't believe me, listen to Match of the Day tonight.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
78614576-D1E9-4EC6-A664-8C72EA525309.gif

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ben Roberts still at Withdean shouting it?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Always was FDM for me. Thought it just carried through........to present day?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Duffy used to do it,then I couldn't hear anyone do it,but now someone is doing it so I would guess Sanchez?
Or maybe Dunk is finding his voice,he seems much more like an on the pitch leader this season.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I always assumed it was Dunk. I didn't see the game last night - was someone bellowing it then, if so - it can't have been.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Steve Harley used to sing “away away” so I guess like most things over the years it’s been shortened

One of the keepers I played with used to shout “keepers” followed by “oh, shi*” followed by “sorry lads”

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I always assumed it was Dunk. I didn't see the game last night - was someone bellowing it then, if so - it can't have been.

Well, it might have been. He was sat in the stands drinking pg tips. Hope he didn’t spill any and scald himself in his enthusiasm.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In a similar vein did anyone hear the absolute ****ing foul mouthed ****ing rant at Ali J by one of our bench last night. Didn't sound like Gpott so we assumed it was Billy but happy to be contradicted. Not even an apology by Sky. You possibly had to be sans crowd noise.

When I played I always screamed out whenever a corner was cleared even though almost every time the last one out was me:lolol:

Hope this helps.

:lolol:

This has brought back tremendous memories of playing ex pat football. I played centre back alongside a German called Gerald who called the line. His "OUT, OUT" was so loud it could have been followed by "shvine-hoond" except he always shouted it from about a yard behind me.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
In a similar vein did anyone hear the absolute ****ing foul mouthed ****ing rant at Ali J by one of our bench last night. Didn't sound like Gpott so we assumed it was Billy but happy to be contradicted. Not even an apology by Sky. You possibly had to be sans crowd noise.

No, what did he shout, please?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here