Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing the knee - Tuesday

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Any mods want to clarify the position on racism for this board? Only I can't help noticing that a race baiting thread from someone who has previously been banned three times for racist posts (under this username alone) has only been moved to a sub forum. Are we now to assume this board does not condone racism only to the point where repeat offenders are allowed to continue posting and their 'input' just moved?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any mods want to clarify the position on racism for this board? Only I can't help noticing that a race baiting thread from someone who has previously been banned three times for racist posts (under this username alone) has only been moved to a sub forum. Are we now to assume this board does not condone racism only to the point where repeat offenders are allowed to continue posting and their 'input' just moved?

I brought up "Fred Oliver" last week: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387723-Yet-another-stabbing-in-London/page4

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] replied:

Posters are permanently banned as a very last resort. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said we cannot police every post. I've seen casually racist posts from that user that were worth a short time off and I've issued some of those short bans. Ultimately there is an infraction system where if someone carries on getting infractions the added up points ban them permanently anyway. There are all sorts of reasons for bans too - as a rule of thumb just don't be a dick, particularly if your dickishness has been called out.

So maybe another 5-10 bans for racism and then this guy is gone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I brought up "Fred Oliver" last week: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387723-Yet-another-stabbing-in-London/page4

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] replied:

Posters are permanently banned as a very last resort. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said we cannot police every post. I've seen casually racist posts from that user that were worth a short time off and I've issued some of those short bans. Ultimately there is an infraction system where if someone carries on getting infractions the added up points ban them permanently anyway. There are all sorts of reasons for bans too - as a rule of thumb just don't be a dick, particularly if your dickishness has been called out.

So maybe another 5-10 bans for racism and then this guy is gone.

Can you show me the racism in the OP? I saw a question.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ask Dick Swiveller. I have not mentioned any racism in the OP.

Nice whitewashing though. Someone banned three times for racism asks if you guys should boo the stance against racism. "I saw a question".

If some KKK leader stands on some square saying "should we hang some black people?" would you scratch your beard and think "hmm, I see nothing wrong in this, the man is merely asking a question"?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Really? That is what you are going with? Put aside the fact you think someone who has been banned for racist trolling started this thread with other intentions, what have you seen in ANY of his posts that show that the bans have had any effect?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really? That is what you are going with? Put aside the fact you think someone who has been banned for racist trolling started this thread with other intentions, what have you seen in ANY of his posts that show that the bans have had any effect?

As you didn't report the post (and neither did anyone else) I can only assume you didn't see enough in it either.

I personally don't think NSC should be banning people for what they think

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think knee taking (or similar gesture of concern and solidarity) will have run its course when there is objective, measurable evidence of improvements in race relations.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As you didn't report the post (and neither did anyone else) I can only assume you didn't see enough in it either.

I personally don't think NSC should be banning people for what they think
So the answer to my question is - NSC does not condone racism but will only give out repeated short term bans because you don't think people should be banned permanently for what they think or say. And when they come back and post threads like this, it is fine because they are only hinting at what they think?

1.png

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I think knee taking (or similar gesture of concern and solidarity) will have run its course when there is objective, measurable evidence of improvements in race relations.

This gesture may be well intentioned, but millionaire footballers are the last people in this country that should get a free pass for making a meaningless gesture.

Once they (and the other millionaires supporting the gesture) Estart showing their financial donations to programmes that send impoverished black children to the same schools they send their own children to then they will at best get a boo from me.

Till that point is reached.........booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This gesture may be well intentioned, but millionaire footballers are the last people in this country that should get a free pass for making a meaningless gesture.

Once they (and the other millionaires supporting the gesture) Estart showing their financial donations to programmes that send impoverished black children to the same schools they send their own children to then they will at best get a boo from me.

I don't think it is a simple dichotomy.
There are millionaires supporting the gesture and there are poor people; while it continues, it obviously keeps the matter in the public eye and enables suggestions (like yours) to be aired.
In my opinion booing it is just a crass response, but of course no doubt you thought it through before drawing a different conclusion....

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don't think it is a simple dichotomy.
There a millionaires supporting the gesture and there are poor people; while it continues, it obviously keeps the matter in the public eye and enables suggestions (like yours) to be aired.
In my opinion booing it is just a crass response, but of course no doubt you have thought it through and come to a different conclusion....

Let’s see now things are opening, I guess you will be expecting all the musicians/groups at gigs, actors in theatres, the ballet dancers, the opera singers etc. all to start taking the knee before they perform. If you don’t then there is already a dichotomy........on my tissue opera singers and ballet dancers are 1/10 that they won’t take the knee.

Yep, the poor working class attending football matches need lessons that the rich upper class attending the arts don’t need.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Let’s see now things are opening, I guess you will be expecting all the musicians/groups at gigs, actors in theatres, the ballet dancers, the opera singers etc. all to start taking the knee before they perform. If you don’t then there is already a dichotomy........on my tissue opera singers and ballet dancers are 1/10 that they won’t take the knee.

Yep, the poor working class attending football matches need lessons that the rich upper class attending the arts don’t need.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

I am not sure what your guesswork or booing achieves... maybe you can explain.
What does 'on my tissue....' mean?
Also what has 'taking the knee' got to do with 'lessons' to the poor working class?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so we should accept racism until footballers pay for better education ???

booing this gesture is just simply a voice in favour of racism.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hope the knee keeps being taken for as long as it really, really annoys the racists. The more annoyed they get by it, the more we do it. Let's flush these ****ers out.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

The last time I witnessed racism at a football match was QPR away(boxing day if I recall)2001/2002 season. I called the **** out for it and he ****ed off at halftime. I have been fortunate since then,I haven’t witnessed it at a football match since then. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, social media in particular seems to be triggering a resurgence.
When was the last time you witnessed first hand racism at a football match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The last time I witnessed racism at a football match was QPR away(boxing day if I recall)2001/2002 season. I called the **** out for it and he ****ed off at halftime. I have been fortunate since then,I haven’t witnessed it at a football match since then. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, social media in particular seems to be triggering a resurgence.
When was the last time you witnessed first hand racism at a football match?

I am not sure 'taking the knee' is focused exclusively on racism at football matches, but for the record I witnessed some extreme racist chanting when I went to see Albion at Turf Moor in April 2018. It was all directed specifically at Bong but it was quite disgraceful and there was a lot of it....

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I am not sure 'taking the knee' is focused exclusively on racism at football matches, but for the record I witnessed some extreme racist chanting when I went to see Albion at Turf Moor in April 2018. It was all directed specifically at Bong but it was quite disgraceful and there was a lot of it....

Indeed it does certainly still go on inside stadia,fortunately for myself the incident I highlighted was the last time I personally witnessed it at a game. To be honest, if the players are comfortable with the kneeling thingy,that’s their call, I believe with Zaha and the fella at Forest speaking up about it ,it’s days may be numbered. I would much rather the PL and the EFL redouble their efforts with the kick it out campaign.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Indeed it does certainly still go on inside stadia,fortunately for myself the incident I highlighted was the last time I personally witnessed it at a game. To be honest, if the players are comfortable with the kneeling thingy,that’s their call, I believe with Zaha and the fella at Forest speaking up about it ,it’s days may be numbered. I would much rather the PL and the EFL redouble their efforts with the kick it out campaign.

I agree with your comments about opposing views - the knee takers versus Zaha and Lyle Taylor; but to a certain extent it keeps the matter on the agenda.
Booing the action (the subject of the thread) seems a bit vacuous to me.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I remember our lot in the North Stand didn’t cover themselves in glory during the early eighties, Vince Hilaire was always subjected to monkey chants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here