Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Southgate at The Amex tonight?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To us, dunk is an excellent CB

to the premier sides, he is a decent CB but prone to making stupid foolhardy decisions.

None of us knows how he got on when he was with the England camp....a lot of the players in there play for top notch sides including European sides...dunk plays for a team who have just avoided relegation again.

Dunk didn’t come through the England set up from a junior and he is really visible now as he is a decent player in a poor premier side.

Yes he is a good player, but in front of MacGuire, Stones etc...nah.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Reading this thread fills me with dismay. We’ve turned into a bunch of bitter, national-team hating moaners just because Southgate hasn’t chosen Dunk since his one and only call-up a couple of years ago.

Who knows how Dunk fit into the England dressing room during that call-up? Perhaps he didn’t impress Southgate as much as we’d have hoped. Dunk has been excellent for us but in 4 years in the PL we’re still the same 16-17th place side we started at, irrespective of our playing style. All of those England players in contention for the Euros squad are in teams higher than us, bar Pope. They’re all in teams who win more than us. As brilliant as Dunk is, he’s part of a non-winning side more often than not.

We shouldn’t mourn this. If Lewis had jumped ship to Chelsea or any team higher than us, he could have been impossible not to pick due to playing at the highest level in a winning side. Sadly, Lewis also shot himself in the foot massively last week getting the red card. His decision making was incredibly poor and he missed the chance to give Southgate something to think about last night if there are any last minute injuries to Maguire etc.

I wish it had turned out differently for Lewis personally, but I don’t blame Southgate. He’s taken us further than any manager since Venables and restored pride in our national side for the first time in my 30 years on this earth. I’m behind him all the way, even if Lewis won’t be along for the ride.

You say we are a bottom of the table team but that gives a false impression of Dunk and our defence .Our GD is -5 for a reason compared to all the teams around us till Aston Villa in 11th place .As we miss loads of chances to score that is good .There are only 5 teams with a better goals against then us .Even Leicester are worse with 44 against .Man Utd the same on 42 .So you need to look at that rather then our League position as regards Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here