Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Article - Brighton's Stat Attack - do we (just) need a striker?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
True, but my point is that there are other ways. Had Knocky made the same kick on from the Championship that Grealish and Zaha did, we'd have had a player who coaches may look to double up on, leaving more space for our strikers to operate in. If one of the midfielders had Ward Prowse's talent in deadball shooting opportunities, we could knock it around until the foul came. If we had a big strong bloke who could batter the defenders about a bit, they may be more worried about him and more likely to make an error. The best we had was Lamptey, who did create the kind of chaos that can make a chance in space. The good thing is that I think Potter knows this. He wants a player who can disrupt. Unfortunately, since TL's injury, he's seen late cameos from AJ as his best chance of this and it just hasn't worked. Okay we may be missing someone to provide these impacts too, but not all of the options are as expensive as a 20 goal striker.

Izquierdo could have been that "Knocky style" player. We'll never know how Potter would have used a fully fit Izzy but him and Lamptey in the same team together at full crack.....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Izquierdo could have been that "Knocky style" player. We'll never know how Potter would have used a fully fit Izzy but him and Lamptey in the same team together at full crack.....

Well we'll never know l guess, but for me at least, Izquierdo, odd cameo and great goal apart, peaked before he picked up that injury. Certainly though Potter would have utilized him in a totally different way to his predecessor, and maybe to the player's advantage.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Roberto Zamora, said "we lack a goal scorer".
That's all we need to know. It's easy to over complicate things at times, it really is that simple.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I am coaching against us I will pack the box when defending, this causes more congestion, less space and less 'big chances'.

The reason that coaches will do this is because we are little threat from outside the box. As is mentioned in GB's article, Bissouma has a shocking shooting record, so as long as the opposition keep a bit of an eye on Gross, we are okay.

Our midfield needs to be more of a threat (step forward Mac Allister) but also our forwards need to make more of their chances.

As much as he maybe statistically similar to his peers I just don't feel like Maupay is the answer. Decent backup striker yes, the focal point of our attack? no.

A forward is not going to solve all our problems, I agree that we need more goals from midfield. The question is, where do we start?

for me it should be:

1. On the training ground - practice finishing more!! Muscle memory is your friend here, it will increase confidence and decision making.
2. Sign a more intimidating focal point striker - If we can.
3. Sign a goal scoring midfielder - if we can.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Really interesting article.

I agree with the premise that the back line & Sanchez need little adjustments, just a 3rd keeper I imagine, one toward the end of his career would be ideal in a squad full of youngsters.

It’s definitely evolution for the squad rather than revolution and the OP nails it in terms of fixing the goal scored column.

My conclusions are probably similar.

1. We need a No.9 to compete with Maupay but someone very different to give Potter tactical flexibility.

A goal a game striker needs to be signed. The lad from Trossard’s Genk seems ideal; Onuachu. Taller than Burn but fast and seemingly a natural goal scorer. What a sub for Maupay he’d be. Failing that, Edouard or Toney would be handy. I think Abraham is 100% off the table due to price/salary.

2. We need another March, perhaps Sessegnon who appears a lot more deadly in front of goal.

3. In Caicedo, we’ve got a player with astonishing goal scoring and assist stats from his 4 would cup qualifiers; astonishing because he is a defensive midfielder. Realistically, it could be quite a few years before he is ready but we have a long term Bissouma replacement with the talent to get more goals and assists.

4. Lallana or Groß (the pivot or director midfielder) need more goals other than penalties. They must do more.

5. Tross is too inconsistent in front of goal. AJ or Mac Allister should be given a good run instead of him in the front 3.

6. We need to lose a number of squad players. Izzy, Tau, Andone (but for the injuries), Connolly (loan the lad) should be moved on.

7. The potential of Moder needs to be realised. Has the potential to be our most likely scorer from centre midfield but when will he be ready?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really interesting article.

7. The potential of Moder needs to be realised. Has the potential to be our most likely scorer from centre midfield but when will he be ready?

The summer is going to be really interesting. Biss has done a great job at CDM and is almost in that Kante class but he just shoots too often. If we get a big offer I suspect we'll take it because he'll want to go to a really big club, but if Moder comes in to replace him we could see the team both concede and score more goals.

Or is Moises the man in which case Moder will have to pick up scraps from Lallana and the wingbacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here