Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Secure our borders properly until the pandemic is over

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its weird, we have a government that spent years obsessing about supposedly "taking back control" and expends a massive amount of energy creating a hostile environment to immigration, yet when it has comes to the genuine threat from Covid we're 15 months in and we still haven't got a grip of our borders

The Indian variant is here, according to Sage it appears more transmissible than the Kent strain and is set to be become the dominant variant. The good news is it doesn't appear to evade the vaccines. That said, it does increasingly look like June 21 now will not happen

I'm afraid we're in this position because of Johnson, he got better but just doesn't learn and takes huge unnecessary risks.

Good piece from Sky's Economic Editor Ed Conway...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...tbreak-of-indian-coronavirus-variant-12306393

Yes he dithered and delayed and waited the best part of 3 weeks to put India on the Red list because he had an different agenda centred around an International trade visit with his mate Modi

So do we really our lives back this Autumn???

If the answer is yes, the solution (and unpopular one) is to continue to suspend all International Leisure travel until things are under control GLOBALLY and further tighten the border which mean tighter controls on incoming passengers. Unfortunately, only proper hotel quarantine is really effective....

Evidence suggests it also what the public wants...

Capture.PNG

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It's not going to be under control globally for years and years. So, while the Government delayed too long on India, it's a no from me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes it is weird. European nations havent locked down like others in Asia, so continue to have reoccuring infection. i dont know why really, the air industry possibly though limited travel isnt enough to sustain them really. you cant blame a visit to India, that doesnt explain other countries not limiting Indian travel until the end of April. people will have a different opinion in the summer when they want to go on holiday, everywhere in europe currently has a far higher rate than UK.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed. Pull up the drawbridge and slam down the portcullis gate asap.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s a shame that the Home Secretary can’t get her way. There is nothing she enjoys more than cutting away the rope ladder that allowed her family into this Country, she’ll also be happy to stab Boris in the back in the future when she’ll surely describe this current period as a time where she pleaded with Boris to secure the borders properly.

It seems that the Indian variant was seeded by 122 carriers as the Country failed to be put on to the red list for fear of ruining Boris’ Brexit summit on the sub-continent. As per usual, they’ll be only one man to blame if the Indian variant takes hold; the imbecile at the helm.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Its weird, we have a government that spent years obsessing about supposedly "taking back control" and expends a massive amount of energy creating a hostile environment to immigration, yet when it has comes to the genuine threat from Covid we're 15 months in and we still haven't got a grip of our borders

The Indian variant is here, according to Sage it appears more transmissible than the Kent strain and is set to be become the dominant variant. The good news is it doesn't appear to evade the vaccines. That said, it does increasingly look like June 21 now will not happen

I'm afraid we're in this position because of Johnson, he got better but just doesn't learn and takes huge unnecessary risks.

Good piece from Sky's Economic Editor Ed Conway...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...tbreak-of-indian-coronavirus-variant-12306393

Yes he dithered and delayed and waited the best part of 3 weeks to put India on the Red list because he had an different agenda centred around an International trade visit with his mate Modi

So do we really our lives back this Autumn???

If the answer is yes, the solution (and unpopular one) is to continue to suspend all International Leisure travel until things are under control GLOBALLY and further tighten the border which mean tighter controls on incoming passengers. Unfortunately, only proper hotel quarantine is really effective....

Evidence suggests it also what the public wants...

View attachment 136740

So you want to Ban international travel for 5-10 years?

Then when after that time frame a new variant another year or so and repeat.

You failed to answer a couple of times from other people, when would you end this?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1393614537610436612[/tweet]

Every single person who catches, suffers from or (unfortunately) dies from the Indian variant is a direct stain on this Government and it's continued wretched actions throughout this pandemic.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So you want to Ban international travel for 5-10 years?

Then when after that time frame a new variant another year or so and repeat.

You failed to answer a couple of times from other people, when would you end this?

I'm not advocating 5-10 years, but we're still deep in this pandemic globally and only around half of UK population has had at least 1 jab

If we really want some normality to return this Autumn we need to limit International travel to a bare minimum this summer season and maintain strict controls on all high risk countries.

By October things should be in a better place, but we're not there yet.....

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'm not advocating 5-10 years, but we're still deep in this pandemic globally and only around half of UK population has had at least 1 jab

If we really want some normality to return this Autumn we need to limit International travel to a bare minimum this summer season and maintain strict controls on all high risk countries.

I doubt that much of the world will be much different in October. Africa, India, South America, aren't vaccinating all that fast. If the worldwide state of the pandemic is the deciding factor in releasing lockdown, then you will have to talk about 5-10 years. There is virtually no chance that the global pandemic will recede significantly by October.

And of course if the number of children vaccinated is an important factor (though I think you're the only one who thinks so) then no countries will be anywhere near done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I doubt that much of the world will be much different in October. Africa, India, South America, aren't vaccinating all that fast. If the worldwide state of the pandemic is the deciding factor in releasing lockdown, then you will have to talk about 5-10 years. There is virtually no chance that the global pandemic will recede significantly by October.

And of course if the number of children vaccinated is an important factor (though I think you're the only one who thinks so) then no countries will be anywhere near done.

Well vaccinations have been approved for children in US, I suspect vaccination of children is closer than we think. Probably end of 2021 for UK and most of Europe

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Europe will probably be ok for travel next year but I think people planning trips further afield without fear of them being canceled at the last minute or going into quarantine when they get home could be years away.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

What you are asking for originally is 5/10 years away.

No one is saying we should allow unchecked travel and the traffic light system works.

Why shouldn’t we be able to travel to USA/Europe Etc given they are high take up on vaccine and are on the same page as us?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
126 planes have landed here from India since they were put on the red list! Absolutely disgusting!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
126 planes have landed here from India since they were put on the red list! Absolutely disgusting!

Personally I start with putting countries on the red list in a timely manner and not delaying for political reasons as we did with India

Also properly segregating Red / Amber / Green passengers in airports, for example LHR T1 green, T2-4 Amber, T5 Red etc. Airports are a disaster waiting to happen, government all at sea on travel, where's the clarity and leadership?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1394961417791541250

Meanwhile looks like we a matter of days away from the India variant becoming dominant in the UK. Everything crossed for the weeks ahead, it will pivotal...

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European

And every single passenger on board will have to go through hotel quarantine. I also suspect there may be more (or at least just as much) freight being carried than there is passengers on these flights too.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
And every single passenger on board will have to go through hotel quarantine. I also suspect there may be more (or at least just as much) freight being carried than there is passengers on these flights too.

It's an absolute outrage. International travel should be banned except in absolute extreme circumstances. They may still have to quarantine, but they still mingle with other passengers at the airport, they still share a plane with air hostesses, who don't have to quarantine. Its a farce.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's an absolute outrage. International travel should be banned except in absolute extreme circumstances. They may still have to quarantine, but they still mingle with other passengers at the airport, they still share a plane with air hostesses, who don't have to quarantine. Its a farce.

All of who have tests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here