Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can Lee Mason get any more incompetent?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He’s fourth official at the Newcastle vs Man City game tonight.

As half time approached the commentator on 5 Live started laughing and said, “Lee Mason is struggling to hold the board indicating the amount of added time above his head...I think he needs to get back in the gym!”

One job :facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He’s fourth official at the Newcastle vs Man City game tonight.

As half time approached the commentator on 5 Live started laughing and said, “Lee Mason is struggling to hold the board indicating the amount of added time above his head...I think he needs to get back in the gym!”

One job :facepalm:

He could partner up with Moss in the gym...one on weights the other the treadmill

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s really not a laughing matter. The quality of referees, they’re not fit for purpose.

Apparently the stadium announcer said,”The referee has indicated there will be a minimum of..........”

....and then there was a long pause as Mason tried to lift the board above his head.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I watched Holstein Kiel v Jahn Regensburg on Thursday , great game 3-2 , but it stuck out a country mile the difference between the average German ref and the average Prem ref with a BMI of about 45 . The German ref was always up with the game , either ours need to get their fat arses down the gym once in a while or issue them with binoculars because it is a damn disgrace to the best league in the world ( currently being ruined by lousy decisions from piss poor refs ) .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s really not a laughing matter. The quality of referees, they’re not fit for purpose.

Agree.......it would be funny if it wasn’t so serious. Can’t believe the EPL are allowing these unfit (in both senses) for purpose refs anywhere near their beloved ‘product’.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There was a shot on Sky with Lee Mason in the foreground, Steve Bruce just behind him....comical opportunity to compare a couple of the largest bellies in professional football.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agree.......it would be funny if it wasn’t so serious. Can’t believe the EPL are allowing these unfit (in both senses) for purpose refs anywhere near their beloved ‘product’.

Perhaps they are the best of the rest?

There is probably a massive shortage of good referees. It can't be a popular job that seems to only offer abuse from players, fans and the media.

Perhaps they should get some of the refs from the Women's league?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Despite my running being ravaged by illness and injury and Jon Moss being professionally involved in sport I reckon I could probably match him on a bleep test. Most of the running thread would kick his arse all day long for speed and endurance.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I watched Holstein Kiel v Jahn Regensburg on Thursday , great game 3-2 , but it stuck out a country mile the difference between the average German ref and the average Prem ref with a BMI of about 45 . The German ref was always up with the game , either ours need to get their fat arses down the gym once in a while or issue them with binoculars because it is a damn disgrace to the best league in the world ( currently being ruined by lousy decisions from piss poor refs ) .

They should be fit enough. That’s got to be the first requirement for the job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Precisely. So incompetent they can't even work out whether they want to sabotage VAR or simply manipulate it to further their own position of pre-eminence. The ****s

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps they are the best of the rest?

There is probably a massive shortage of good referees. It can't be a popular job that seems to only offer abuse from players, fans and the media.

Perhaps they should get some of the refs from the Women's league?

Pay them more but make then servants of the game, not 'the most important person on the pitch'.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Maybe they should supply the fattest refs with mobility scooters? Some of the those scooters are very fast nowadays.
They could also be fitted with lots of cameras at different angles, could speed up the VAR process.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
At the top end, Premier League referees are salaried so they get paid a regular wage with match fees on top of that. Referees in the top-flight of England can earn as much as £70,000 per year. They are paid a basic yearly retainer of between £38,500 and £42,000 based on experience, and then are paid £1,150 per match on top of that.

Top Champions League referees get £5500 per game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I fully take on baord the fact that officiating at a football match at any level is something of a thankless task, but those at the very top are paid hansomely enough for what they do. The quality is absolutely awful as others have said.

A much lower level in the pyramid l know, but those that officiate in the Sothern Combination League are absolutely appalling. I was watching a game between Peacehaven and Horsham YMCA last season, and witnessed the linesman warming up, he looked woefully unfit, and must have been at least 70. I remarked to a friend of mine that this guy isn't going to last the match, and sure enough after only about 20 minutes he had to indicate that he needed to come off!

I also found out after the game, that the young lad with the whistle was just 19! and with very little experience indeed.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I fully take on baord the fact that officiating at a football match at any level is something of a thankless task, but those at the very top are paid hansomely enough for what they do. The quality is absolutely awful as others have said.

A much lower level in the pyramid l know, but those that officiate in the Sothern Combination League are absolutely appalling. I was watching a game between Peacehaven and Horsham YMCA last season, and witnessed the linesman warming up, he looked woefully unfit, and must have been at least 70. I remarked to a friend of mine that this guy isn't going to last the match, and sure enough after only about 20 minutes he had to indicate that he needed to come off!

I also found out after the game, that the young lad with the whistle was just 19! and with very little experience indeed.

Should be bloody easy for them now with VAR , but they’ve got even bigger fools checking that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here