Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is this absurd, or am I just getting old?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Meh, whatever. Each to their own and all that – if they are offended, or even if they are making a point about the modern world, then fair enough to them.

Personally, I've got more important things to worry about :shrug:

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm probably not going to believed here, but when my wife has used ladies and gentlemen in class the kids have pointed out to her that this is now offensive.

She's so set in her ways after teaching for 20+ years, that she forgets about it.

I personally think what's going on at the moment in this country is ridiculous, where does it end?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm probably not going to believed here, but when my wife has used ladies and gentlemen in class the kids have pointed out to her that this is now offensive.

She's so in her ways after teaching for 20+ years, that she forgets about it.

I personally think what's going on at the moment in this country is ridiculous, where does it end?

It ends with the human race dying out as we eventually become utterly unable to cope with any kind of adversity whatsoever.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I wonder if a memo has really been sent out telling their employees not to say "ladies and gentlemen"? Will it provide alternatives and if so, what are they?

"Good afternoon dear passengers" is safe I guess, but somewhat sterile.

"Good afternoon humans" is also safe but kind of HAL-like in its detachment.

"'Sup y'all" whilst safe might confuse those that are not as down with the kids as us NSC bods.

My personal preference would be "Good afternoon w*****s and those that lie a lot" but it might be a tad controversial...

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I can understand thinking "Oh thats nice they dont want me to have a good afternoon" in a slightly exasperated way and then maybe (as the original tweet did-) simply point it out and maybe they could additionally say that maybe "good afternoon everyone" may be better- its always better to criticize constructively and give a solution that works from your point of view and help educate rather than just complain.

but why would it make you alarmed or uncomfortable in any way? That I don't understand, what is alarming or unsettling about someone saying Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentleman, Boys and Girls. Hardly words to instil fear and loathing

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My big issue with this is that the complainant is essentially pointing the finger at the wrong kind of person. A train conductor who has innocently greeted his passengers in a friendly manner, but using language that a minority of people object to, is surely not worthy of complaint versus someone whose motives are clearly rude, derogatory and discriminatory? Taking on these ‘easy’ targets instead of those who are genuinely opposed to the non-binary cause will ultimately alienate many reasonable people, in my view.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Once again it never ceases to amaze me that certain people manage to get more cross about some nonsense like this than they do about Government corruption or child poverty.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How are they meant to announce it gawd know

Reminds me of my old classics teacher, if we were referred to women as "ladies" he would correct us that it is "women" not ladies, Point being how many of us would identify ourselves as gentlemen (or ladies?) so the announcement wouldnt have "applied" to me either. Dont think I would have been uncomfortable or alarmed though at being left out of their announcement, Certainly wouldnt have complained though, nor expected any female companion who isnt a lady to complain either about her lack of inclusion either

I'm quite happy with Ladies, both in the workplace and as a sign for public lavatories.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My big issue with this is that the complainant is essentially pointing the finger at the wrong kind of person. A train conductor who has innocently greeted his passengers in a friendly manner, but using language that a minority of people object to, is surely not worthy of complaint versus someone whose motives are clearly rude, derogatory and discriminatory? Taking on these ‘easy’ targets instead of those who are genuinely opposed to the non-binary cause will ultimately alienate many reasonable people, in my view.

In a nutshell.

Tabloids love this sort of thing to get their readers 'outraged'.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If you don't like it don't get on the bloody train and stop boring the rest of us with this shit.

They are oh so desperate to be offended and discriminated against. Basically you are genetically either a man or a woman. If you choose to live your life in a different way good luck to you but why should the rest of us have to be involved or indeed care? If you want to live as a non binary how does being referred to as something else really adverse effect you particularly when its not actually directed personally to you?

This sort of crap detracts from people who have real issues of discrimination or prejudice and trivializes real problems.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I haven't read the article but if there is something I should be getting offended about on other people's behalf I'm available between 3.30pm and 4pm today.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can't read it as it's The Sun. Which I do find offensive...

Also, as it's The Sun we can't know if it's accurate or not.

What was supposed to have happened ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"Good afternoon humans" is also safe but kind of HAL-like in its detachment.

No doubt all pet dogs and other animals that regularly travel on trains are at this very moment composing emails complaining about their exclusion from your proposed greeting.

They are expecting at the very least a 500 word apology and free biscuits

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And several hundred NSC clicks on that link will please the Sun website’s advertisers and further fuel the beast.

Not from me. I will never click on a Sun website, but gathered what the story entailed from other posts.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suppose 'Good afternoon, everyone' would be the catch all really.

I shouldn't worry about those who complain. By the time they reach their forties they'll probably all be massively right wing anyway.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't get it, but I'm increasingly aware that a lot of my kids generation see gender issues very differently to me.
In a very similar way to my parent's generation seeing homosexuality very different to the way my peer-group did.
And how their parents generation saw racial prejudice in a very different way too.

It's progress.
It will grind the gears of the reactionary older generation, because we don't get it.
But in 50 years time, most people will look back at us as being laughably ignorant.

But yeah, attention seeking twats, is my immediate reaction.
But that is because I am old and increasingly out of touch,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here