Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is this absurd, or am I just getting old?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Even as a remoaner, Lib Dem, lefty-loony snowflake etc, I find this utterly ridiculous. Ok, they were "alarmed and uncomfortable" at the lack of inclusion, but where does it end and how do these people get through the day without being upset by things at every turn?

I'm inclined to believe it's all faux-outrage, but then am I just too old and ignorant at 40 to accept the world is different now and people like myself and the train conductor need to move with the times?

Also, I can't stress enough how alarmed and uncomfortable I am at myself for sharing a story from The Sun. I hang my head in shame.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14947...ce=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not reading the Sun. Sorry.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I saw this yesterday on Twatter. Utterly ridiculous woke snowflake pandering to a woke snowflake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its the digital era. People **** less, and if you trust rising depression rates they laugh less, everything is oh-so-comfy so they also fear less. But people still want or need to be emotional and being upset about random shit is the easiest way of feeling anything at all, making it one of if not the dominating emotion, along with numbing melancholy.

Its also not unique for any particular group. "Leftists" are going to moan about toilets being gendered or the use of the words "he" or "she". "Rightists" spot a muslim or gay person on TV and moan about the destruction of some kind of homogeneity that never was. "Centrists" pick the raisins out of both cakes and can choose freely what they want to be upset about. And the rest of us who fit into none of these categories can moan about the moaning.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So basically: “It’s political correctness gone mad!”

it is literally. the outcome will be messages becoming bland or curt for fear of offending. good morning ladies and gentlemen replaced by good morning. its simple enough but to detriment of language idioms.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I'm older than you and I think it's fair enough. The passenger doesn't fit into the binary categories that were used and they're simply pointing that out.

Contrast the measured language used in both the original tweet and the response from the train company with the incendiary language used by the Sun though. To me that's where the real problem lies.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
How are they meant to announce it gawd know

Reminds me of my old classics teacher, if we were referred to women as "ladies" he would correct us that it is "women" not ladies, Point being how many of us would identify ourselves as gentlemen (or ladies?) so the announcement wouldnt have "applied" to me either. Dont think I would have been uncomfortable or alarmed though at being left out of their announcement, Certainly wouldnt have complained though, nor expected any female companion who isnt a lady to complain either about her lack of inclusion either

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Even as a remoaner, Lib Dem, lefty-loony snowflake etc, I find this utterly ridiculous. Ok, they were "alarmed and uncomfortable" at the lack of inclusion, but where does it end and how do these people get through the day without being upset by things at every turn?

I'm inclined to believe it's all faux-outrage, but then am I just too old and ignorant at 40 to accept the world is different now and people like myself and the train conductor need to move with the times?

Also, I can't stress enough how alarmed and uncomfortable I am at myself for sharing a story from The Sun. I hang my head in shame.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14947...ce=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

I am seemingly of a very similar demographic to you, and my initial thoughts are "Oh **** off and grow up". Non-binary does seem to be the fad-du-jour for self-conscious youths and I fully expect it to quickly fade into the background, like western communism or boot cut jeans.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am seemingly of a very similar demographic to you, and my initial thoughts are "Oh **** off and grow up". Non-binary does seem to be the fad-du-jour for self-conscious youths and I fully expect it to quickly fade into the background, like western communism or boot cut jeans.
The thing I have never understood about "non-binary" is that the language since forever has used "male" to signify people who have a Y chromosome and "female" for people who do not. There is no third option.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I tend to ignore nonsense like this, it has no bearing on my life at all. Luckily, ludicrous little twerps like these two are few and far between. But live and let live, we all did silly things in our breakfast years.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
You can tell the pandemic is coming to an end in this country. This sort of bollocks all went quiet when people had real problems for a while.

"Alarmed and uncomfortable". Yeah course you were mate. I'm sure it's not just an opportunity for you to get some attention.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I refuse to kowtow to this sort of thing. I expect I’ll get in trouble for it at some stage.

Heavy duty black bin bags,
No matter what your gender,
Come and get your black bin bags,
Whether bi or straight or bender.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here