Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rental scheme areas aside. Current UK law is that use of privately owned electric scooters is illegal, except on privately owned land with the owners permission.

If you was able to make the laws that made their use legal, in bullet points, what laws would you make?

P.S. Yes, I know there's already an electric scooter thread. This is a thread designed specifically for legislation ideas.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve almost hit two of these idiots on scooters one with no lights on a roundabout and another just shot out in front of me. It’s a good job I’m happy plodding along at the legal speed limits.

I’ve seen the OB pick and choose who they want to take away the scooters from so hardly consistent, it seems if your an office bod everything’s lovely and a youth wearing a hoodie is danger to society, should be banned from the road someone will be killed otherwise.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Make them legal with the proviso that the owner has suitable third party insurance the same for electric bikes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I’ve almost hit two of these idiots on scooters one with no lights on a roundabout and another just shot out in front of me. It’s a good job I’m happy plodding along at the legal speed limits.

I’ve seen the OB pick and choose who they want to take away the scooters from so hardly consistent, should be banned from the road someone will be killed otherwise.

Ok. So first bullet point for you?

• Illegal to be used on public roads.

What about use on pavements and cycle lanes?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Make them legal with the proviso that the owner has suitable third party insurance the same for electric bikes

Ok. For use on the road only? Or something else?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
They are motorised traffic and should be subject to the same legislation. Same as mobility scooters, able to use pavements if very low speed. Otherwise registered, on the road, compulsory insurance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Compulsory Insurance
Compulsory Helmets, Yellow Safety Vest
Compulsory Lights and Mirrors
Only for use in cycle lanes/roads - Banned from pavements
Speed limitation 15mph

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They are motorised traffic and should be subject to the same legislation. Same as mobility scooters, able to use pavements if very low speed. Otherwise registered, on the road, compulsory insurance.

I'm quite liking this idea. Simple and to the point.

Would surely have to be limited to 8mph for pavement use though. And possibly 15.5mph for use one roads, the same as electric bicycles.

My biggest concern is how vulnerable it potentially makes the user on the road, given the current lack of suitable cycle lanes. Also, if you require compulsory insurance for road use, do you extend that requirement to electric bike users?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Third party insurance compulsory for electric bikes? Since when?

Make the scooters subject to the same rules as bicycles. Not allowed on pavements, must have lights at night, must obey road signs, traffic lights, etc. - and bloody well rigidly enforce them - and for bikes too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Compulsory Insurance
Compulsory Helmets, Yellow Safety Vest
Compulsory Lights and Mirrors
Only for use in cycle lanes/roads - Banned from pavements
Speed limitation 15mph

Again, when making things compulsory, as in helmets in your case, do you extend that requirement to electric bike users?

Compulsory helmets law for cyclists (not just electric) in Australia resulted in a reduction in cycle use. That wasn't the intention of the law.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I really like these scooters and wouldn't mind one myself,I do however think we need some legislation.
The main points of legislation I would like to see is..
To ride a scooter on the road,some sort of licence should be required.
The rider should also be required to wear a helmet and be visible,either with a light or reflective jacket.
The scooter should also be required to have lights.
I would also like it made law that all scooters sold in the UK must make a constant noise while in use to alert pedestrians to their presence.
The scooters should also have a separate mode for use in pedestrian areas which limits the amount of available power ensuring the scooter can go no faster than walking pace,failure to engage"pedestrian mode"whilst on a pavement or pedestrians area would also be an offence.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I really like these scooters and wouldn't mind one myself,I do however think we need some legislation.
The main points of legislation I would like to see is..
To ride a scooter on the road,some sort of licence should be required.
The rider should also be required to wear a helmet and be visible,either with a light or reflective jacket.
The scooter should also be required to have lights.
I would also like it made law that all scooters sold in the UK must make a constant noise while in use to alert pedestrians to their presence.
The scooters should also have a separate mode for use in pedestrian areas which limits the amount of available power ensuring the scooter can go no faster than walking pace,failure to engage"pedestrian mode"whilst on a pavement or pedestrians area would also be an offence.

Some good ideas there, many of which I agree with.

Playing devils advocate for a bit though (and perhaps with my cyclists hat on), when do we require cars to only be available in high vis colours?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Some good ideas there, many of which I agree with.

Playing devils advocate for a bit though (and perhaps with my cyclists hat on), when do we require cars to only be available in high vis colours?

Cars are festooned with lights (including daytime running lights) and often are brightly coloured, my fear is actually that we’ve made lights so ubiquitous that we stop registering what they mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Anyone can get hold of one, Ive seen a couple of shops pop up and sell them.....notified on local facebook.,
This means any age can get hold of one if they have cash, therefore you could have ( and do have) a 14 year old on the road.

There should be a minimum age, licence held, same as motorcycle, insurance and lights.
There are already to many idiots going across the roads without stopping or looking, especially around colleges.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not on pavements, never on pavements.

Why?

How about?... If only used on a limited mode.

As suggested above by Pint of Ale and a Burger.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Again, when making things compulsory, as in helmets in your case, do you extend that requirement to electric bike users?

Compulsory helmets law for cyclists (not just electric) in Australia resulted in a reduction in cycle use. That wasn't the intention of the law.

Yes, if it reduces the use of electric cycles then will have to live with that, but the safety issue needs to be in place as head injuries are life changing and at times people need to be protected from themselves.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cars are festooned with lights (including daytime running lights) and often are brightly coloured, my fear is actually that we’ve made lights so ubiquitous that we stop registering what they mean.

I'm with you there! Stand out by NOT wearing a high vis jacket is fast approaching :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here