Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Britain's Best Breakfast - Teenage Brighton Fan cycling for charity

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Hi All,

Not a big poster in here but love to read the discussion. I'm a 19-year-old called Jeremy who used have season ticket with my late dad. This club still remains so important to me and some of my happiest memories with my dad were following Brighton on the road.

In April 2017, my Mum, Clare, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. The disease meant that she was eventually unable to walk, move her arms, hold her head up unassisted, eat or drink though her mouth or even speak. While not really understanding the gravity of the situation at first, as my Mum quickly lost her independence, life became incredibly tough for us all. To add more fuel on the fire, my Dad, Giles, was then diagnosed with a brain tumour in late 2017. This left me and my sister in complete shock and despair as, at the start of the year, all was absolutely fine, and by November both our parents were terminally ill with conditions that aggressively attacked the body.

Devastatingly in September 2018 my Dad passed away and after battling bravely with MND for two years, my Mum passed away in 2019. Finishing school made it tough to properly grieve my parents as life was just so busy and school was naturally an escapist environment. Once covid hit and exams were cancelled, it really gave me the ability to catch my breath and perhaps plan some adventures before university.

When my Dad's brain begun to shut down, football remained a real common language and while he couldn't always remember what he had for lunch he did manage to remember there's only one Glenn Murray.

A bit further down the line, I've found myself with a real urge to raise some money for both the MND Association and the Brain Tumour Charity, who lead research into my parents' conditions. On Monday I'm setting off on my bike with a tent and a couple of essential items in search of the best breakfast this nation has to offer! It's a challenge I would never have seen myself undertaking this time last year, but, with a bike to my disposal and life in Britain opening up again, all seemed like a brilliant way to raise money for two charities incredibly close to my heart.

You can find out a little bit more about my challenge here and I live over in Kent but I'll travelling along the South Coast up until the New Forest so any breakfast recommendations would be much appreciated! You can find out a little bit more about the challenge here... https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TourdeFullEnglish

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wow, that’s quite a set of events to have to go through at such a young age. My deepest sympathies and condolences for your losses. I have much admiration for you turning your grief into a challenge like this. I’ll certainly be making a donation and looking forward to hearing some updates as you make your way through it.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Two causes very close to my heart too, and I also cycled a decent stretch of the Welsh coast when I was about your age (before you were born...).

Donation sent, good luck, enjoy yourself and please come back and tell us where the best breakfasts were!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Deeply sorry to read what you've been through. Good luck with the cycling and life in general.

I've put a few quid in the tin. If you find Britain's Best Breakfast, let us know.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry to hear about your parents. Good on you for coming out the other side positive and fighting!

Good luck with it. Will you be passing through Hastings? Do you have a route already planned?

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Wow, that’s quite a set of events to have to go through at such a young age. My deepest sympathies and condolences for your losses. I have much admiration for you turning your grief into a challenge like this. I’ll certainly be making a donation and looking forward to hearing some updates as you make your way through it.

Thanks for writing Brian really appreciated

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Two causes very close to my heart too, and I also cycled a decent stretch of the Welsh coast when I was about your age (before you were born...).

Donation sent, good luck, enjoy yourself and please come back and tell us where the best breakfasts were!

Thanks mate plan is to do the Welsh coast as well. Flattest route I could find through Wales...

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Sorry to hear about your parents. Good on you for coming out the other side positive and fighting!

Good luck with it. Will you be passing through Hastings? Do you have a route already planned?

Thanks for your kind words. Heading south down Hailsham and into Brighton so sadly missing Hastings. I intend to head along to Portsmouth, onto the Isle of Wight, back through the New Forest up to Bristol, around the coast of Wales, up to Morecambe, through Yorkshire over the Northumbrian coast and then essentially head as far north into Scotland with whatever time I have left!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What an inspiring story. It takes true strength of character to turn such personal tragedy into something so positive. I reckon your mum and dad would be hugely proud of you.

I always wanted to cycle around Britain with just a tent but unlike you I never actually got of my arse and did anything about it so the best of luck and I hope you have a real adventure. I will make sure I stop by your page and make a donation so good luck and be sure let us know how you get on.

All the best to you and your sister.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for your kind words. Heading south down Hailsham and into Brighton so sadly missing Hastings. I intend to head along to Portsmouth, onto the Isle of Wight, back through the New Forest up to Bristol, around the coast of Wales, up to Morecambe, through Yorkshire over the Northumbrian coast and then essentially head as far north into Scotland with whatever time I have left!

Brilliant stuff! Sounds like a great adventure.

Good luck.

P.S. As you're dropping down South onto Hailsham, I can recommend Arlington Tea Gardens as a lovely cafe stop in that area.

Last edited:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
The Tenth Hole, Southsea do good breakfasts. As does The Highbury Cafe in Cosham.

Good luck!

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
What an inspiring story. It takes true strength of character to turn such personal tragedy into something so positive. I reckon your mum and dad would be hugely proud of you.

I always wanted to cycle around Britain with just a tent but unlike you I never actually got of my arse and did anything about it so the best of luck and I hope you have a real adventure. I will make sure I stop by your page and make a donation so good luck and be sure let us know how you get on.

All the best to you and your sister.

Thanks a million Bry really appreciated - You never know maybe one day!

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Teenage Brighton fan raising money for MND & Brain Tumour charities

I wanted to draw the attention of the wider NSC community to the 'Cycling in search of Britain's Best Breakfast' thread, as I fear the thread title might put the non-cyclists off, and it's a brilliant effort by a teenage Brighton fan who's attempting to turn his own tragedy into something really positive.

You can read his story here

And you can donate here.

I suspect it's something a lot of people here will want to get behind.

Mods: please feel free to delete or merge if necessary.

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
The Tenth Hole, Southsea do good breakfasts. As does The Highbury Cafe in Cosham.

Good luck!

Will do my best to stop by at the Tenth Hole before the ferry over to the Isle of Wight. Any other recommendations very welcome!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here