Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Britain's Best Breakfast - Teenage Brighton Fan cycling for charity

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wanted to draw the attention of the wider NSC community to the 'Cycling in search of Britain's Best Breakfast' thread, as I fear the thread title might put the non-cyclists off, and it's a brilliant effort by a teenage Brighton fan who's attempting to turn his own tragedy into something really positive.

You can read his story here

And you can donate here.

I suspect it's something a lot of people here will want to get behind.

Mods: please feel free to delete or merge if necessary.

I have tried to combine your thread title and the original within the confines of the field length and merged the two threads. Would you and [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] like me to make this a sticky at the top of the board?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jeremy - so sorry to hear your story. One thing I will say about this great forum is, despite the petty differences in opinion we all divulge in, there are a number of great people in this family, who always look after one of their own. If ever you’re feeling down or lonely and want to reach out to ‘strangers’ pls pls pls TALK to people on here. It’s a place you can be honest and air your feelings without judgement and with support. Stay strong brother.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I have tried to combine your thread title and the original within the confines of the field length and merged the two threads. Would you and [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] like me to make this a sticky at the top of the board?

I think that's a great idea but I will defer to [MENTION=35013]SeagullsD123[/MENTION] on that

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016

Yeah that would be ideal - thanks for all the help

SeagullsD123

Dec 29, 2016
Jeremy - so sorry to hear your story. One thing I will say about this great forum is, despite the petty differences in opinion we all divulge in, there are a number of great people in this family, who always look after one of their own. If ever you’re feeling down or lonely and want to reach out to ‘strangers’ pls pls pls TALK to people on here. It’s a place you can be honest and air your feelings without judgement and with support. Stay strong brother.

Thanks mate does seem like a amazing community from the support so far, the internet ain't all bad...

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
A little something donated from the other side of the world.

Good luck young man.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hugely moving story, and an inspirational idea to raise money. Good luck with it sir.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It would be a fantastic and fitting finale to Jeremy's journey if the club would allow him to complete it by riding into the AMEX 10 minutes before kick-off on a match day.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi All,

Not a big poster in here but love to read the discussion. I'm a 19-year-old called Jeremy who used have season ticket with my late dad. This club still remains so important to me and some of my happiest memories with my dad were following Brighton on the road.

In April 2017, my Mum, Clare, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. The disease meant that she was eventually unable to walk, move her arms, hold her head up unassisted, eat or drink though her mouth or even speak. While not really understanding the gravity of the situation at first, as my Mum quickly lost her independence, life became incredibly tough for us all. To add more fuel on the fire, my Dad, Giles, was then diagnosed with a brain tumour in late 2017. This left me and my sister in complete shock and despair as, at the start of the year, all was absolutely fine, and by November both our parents were terminally ill with conditions that aggressively attacked the body.

Devastatingly in September 2018 my Dad passed away and after battling bravely with MND for two years, my Mum passed away in 2019. Finishing school made it tough to properly grieve my parents as life was just so busy and school was naturally an escapist environment. Once covid hit and exams were cancelled, it really gave me the ability to catch my breath and perhaps plan some adventures before university.

When my Dad's brain begun to shut down, football remained a real common language and while he couldn't always remember what he had for lunch he did manage to remember there's only one Glenn Murray.

A bit further down the line, I've found myself with a real urge to raise some money for both the MND Association and the Brain Tumour Charity, who lead research into my parents' conditions. On Monday I'm setting off on my bike with a tent and a couple of essential items in search of the best breakfast this nation has to offer! It's a challenge I would never have seen myself undertaking this time last year, but, with a bike to my disposal and life in Britain opening up again, all seemed like a brilliant way to raise money for two charities incredibly close to my heart.

You can find out a little bit more about my challenge here and I live over in Kent but I'll travelling along the South Coast up until the New Forest so any breakfast recommendations would be much appreciated! You can find out a little bit more about the challenge here... https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TourdeFullEnglish

Bloody hell Jeremy, that's an awful lot to deal with at such a young age – you and your sister deserve a tonne of admiration as well as support!

Do you have a Twitter account? That would be one way to help raise a load of money, spread the word of your challenge and also get some decent breakfast recommendations.

Bit random, but I'm quite partial to breakfast from Cotê and McDonalds – although rarely on the same day.

Massive good luck and I'll follow the journey with interest.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
More (pedal) power to you, Jeremy - good luck - a brilliant thing to be doing

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I’d absolutely echo this. My inbox is always open to anyone struggling or just in need of a chat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here