Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Fight of the century: The Gypsy King v AJ in Saudi Arabia.....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It will be humid. The coastal cities like Jeddah get some relief from sea breeze, but in August even that’s pretty much irrelevant. It’s just hot hot hot. 50 degrees is not uncommon. There’s absolutely no way this could be outdoors, beyond possibly some kind of hybrid indoor/outdoor space with AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add to the sustainability of the event you mean!

I'm also one of the rare breed who thinks that Joshua will win this. I reckon the Ruiz cock up was the best thing that happened to him. I think he'll get himself properly in shape for this and take it on points.

Not going to pay to see it though. Will listen on the radio

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It will be humid. The coastal cities like Jeddah get some relief from sea breeze, but in August even that’s pretty much irrelevant. It’s just hot hot hot. 50 degrees is not uncommon. There’s absolutely no way this could be outdoors, beyond possibly some kind of hybrid indoor/outdoor space with AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Riyadh is not humid. More of a ba stard dry heat that drops during the night. Thus outdoor sport/dining continues through summer evenings. So different to the unbearable Dubai (and even Jeddah) in that respect where 5 mins outside between June and September and you're a sweating mess.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm not sure that Fury should be fighting at all given his mental health. In 50 year's time people will look back at Boxing and think " Why on earth did they allow that "?

This.

In a supposedly civilised world, it baffles me why there is demand for a contest where one bloke ties to beat another bloke unconscious.

Weird.

Add in the support from some quarters for a confirmed homophobic misogynist and it's even more bizarre.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This.

In a supposedly civilised world, it baffles me why there is demand for a contest where one bloke ties to beat another bloke unconscious.

Weird.

Add in the support from some quarters for a confirmed homophobic misogynist and it's even more bizarre.

You need to separate the glitz of the big contest from the wider community. I have a couple of friends who did White Collar Boxing. Pre-pandemic it was raising an absolutely huge amount for charity. Both of them got very, very fit with regular training and sparring and lots of gym work and road running and both made friends for life with their opponents rather than hating them.

Boxing clubs are also a great way to instill discipline in young working class kids. Fishersgate club is just back and two friends' kids who have been at a total loose end during lockdown suddenly have a focus again.

It's then only natural that if you're good you want to test yourself and that means an amateur career looking to get to the Olympics and then pro. They know what they are getting into.

And those of us who like watching it understand that it's brutal. Yes, fundamentally it's a night on the beers in front of the telly or ringside appreciating the brutality. We all know, fans, boxers and trainers.

That doesn't make Fury attractive to me personally. There's a lot of love for him on here but to me he's a dodgy geezer with woeful attitudes who has put a promising career up his nose and in his belly and surrounded himself with gangsters. AJ fits the model I describe above better but also isn't as pure as his image.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No....it won't.
Deliberate ploy from the Wilder camp to get a substantial pay-off, to step aside and let this happen. Wilder then has a warm up fight himself ( possibly Ruiz? ) before challenging the winner in 2022.

Fury signs to fight Wilder. AJ will have to settle for Usyk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57216611

Not really the fights any of us want to see.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Real chance the fight never happens or not with both fighters in their ‘prime.’

No dead cert either fighters get through these fights in my opinion

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Some of the greatest heavyweight title fights of all time took place on PPV in some of the unlikeliest of places

Exactly
Who will ever forget The Rumble in Manila or The Thriller in Uganda

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here