Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giroud

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And that proves my point exactly.

We may very well be but I would be amazed if you found anyone on here who didn’t want TB as owner. Or was not proud of the way we pulled together during the dark years of the nineties.

We are the lifeblood of the club. As rands we may have differing opinions on many things but I think you will find that on the above two issues we are totally united.

Have you read Build A Bonfire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a couple of people - not many but a few ("neilbard" to mention one) - who are quite outspoken about that if TB cant take the club to the next step, he should leave it to other investors. And then there's the sentiment who time and time again complains about the club not signing star players or investing heavily in this or that. Indirectly you could say they are also asking for someone with bigger pockets, because the main reason (there's a few others= these star players never arrive is because the club cant afford them.

Yes I have read Build a Bonfire, since I want to know everything about the club.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our record over many decades of signing big-name forwards isn't great. Justin Fashanu is an obvious example.

Look at our best strikers -

Peter Ward from non-league
Bobby Zamora from Bristol Rovers reserves.
Glenn Murray from Rochdale and then plucky little Bournemouth reserves.
Michael Robinson out of favour at Man City
Dean Saunders from plucky little Swansea.

There are good players out there in the areas where our recruitment people are looking. And there always have been.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our record over many decades of signing big-name forwards isn't great. Justin Fashanu is an obvious example.

Look at our best strikers -

Peter Ward from non-league
Bobby Zamora from Bristol Rovers reserves.
Glenn Murray from Rochdale and then plucky little Bournemouth reserves.
Michael Robinson out of favour at Man City
Dean Saunders from plucky little Swansea.

There are good players out there in the areas where our recruitment people are looking. And there always have been.

In 4 weeks time we'll know the name of the exciting 20 something striker the club is interested in, for around £20m.
In 8 weeks time we'll know what sort of season to expect.

As said before being lied about, it's an annual dance I'd like, just this once, to last through to the smoochy number at the end despite the price going up to nearly £30m.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’m not sure that’s true, I think they just want TB to open his wallet and stop being such a cheapskate

Yeah!
How much has he put into the club since he took over from DK?

Real cheapskate.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No thanks. Too old, too expensive.

He’s 35 in September, declining and just not as good anymore.

We don’t have players at a high enough level in the rest of the side to be able to carry a luxury passenger. It would be the same as what was happening towards the end of Murray’s time with us. We kept him on at least a season too long to the detriment of the overall team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Serious question: out of all the people we're not going to sign, why does Giroud get brought up so much?

Due to him being on the bench a lot over the last years (and remarkably much during his whole England stay) I dont think people are really aware of his quality or status in football.

This is a guy with 100+ caps for France, 44 goals (second highest, between Henry and Platini), he won the last World Cup, and despite playing very sporadically in Chelsea this season he scores every 108th minute...

There is just no chance that his next and possibly final career move will be to join Brighton trying to help the club reach the top 10.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
He is an excellent focus in attack and scored goals.
Age maybe a downside with Welbeck too but split 90 minutes between those two and I think we will be headed up the table.
Wage is high of course.
Abrahams likely to earn as much but otherwise the same assets and age on his side.....?

Yes - job share with Welbeck

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Due to him being on the bench a lot over the last years (and remarkably much during his whole England stay) I dont think people are really aware of his quality or status in football.

This is a guy with 100+ caps for France, 44 goals (second highest, between Henry and Platini), he won the last World Cup, and despite playing very sporadically in Chelsea this season he scores every 108th minute...

There is just no chance that his next and possibly final career move will be to join Brighton trying to help the club reach the top 10.

I forget that sometimes it's necessary to shove a wire coat hanger into my ear to get myself into the same state of mind as some people on here.

What they'd have to do to get into my state of mind, I dread to think. I expect it involves large quantities of scotch.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

He’s been a quality player no doubt but he is 35 in 4 months time and I just don’t think he is what we need for what he would cost.

When you’re a mid/lower Premier League club, you just can’t afford to carry players who might be a bit of a luxury and not able to contribute to the overall team effort. We saw this towards the end of Murray’s time. Murray might have been a better finisher but as an attacking and defensive unit we’re better with Maupay/Trossard/Welbeck.

I agree that we’re also not what he would want at all. He will want to play with better players and probably in a slightly less physically intense league now where he doesn’t have to play every week. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him finally end up at Roma with Mourinho. I think he would be as successful in Italy as Zlatan has been going back there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The OP was spot on with the rumour we signed Lamptey from Chelsea.

Which OP are you referring to. Can you link? I don’t think anyone’s saying we are in for Giroud as a recent rumour are they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here