Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Bicycle insurance

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Following the recent theft of my crappy bike I realise I actually NEED to have a bicycle.

any tips or recommendations or experience of bicycle insurance greatly appreciated.

It's NOT going to be a 'good' bike, only worth a couple of hundred quid but I am currently jobless and running on fumes in my bank account. I live near 'Big' tesco in Hove and haven't had any problems having a shitty bike chained up there but in the last 10 years I've had 4 bikes stolen from ever more improbable and secure locations elsewhere. The ***** around here will literally steal ANYTHING.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Following the recent theft of my crappy bike I realise I actually NEED to have a bicycle.

any tips or recommendations or experience of bicycle insurance greatly appreciated.

It's NOT going to be a 'good' bike, only worth a couple of hundred quid but I am currently jobless and running on fumes in my bank account. I live near 'Big' tesco in Hove and haven't had any problems having a shitty bike chained up there but in the last 10 years I've had 4 bikes stolen from ever more improbable and secure locations elsewhere. The ***** around here will literally steal ANYTHING.

I have my bikes insured as part of my home insurance - it added virtually nothing in price, and covers them whether they are at home or not.

The most important purchase you can make, though, is a really good bike lock - not some easy to cut chain. Much more expensive, but worth the investment.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I have my bikes insured as part of my home insurance - it added virtually nothing in price, and covers them whether they are at home or not.

The most important purchase you can make, though, is a really good bike lock - not some easy to cut chain. Much more expensive, but worth the investment.

Completely agre with this. The bikes are on the house insurance.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Jeez, four bikes stolen in ten years in Hove?!
That is not good, I live and cycle in Hove and always worry my bike is going to get stolen...even when padlocked up with two decent locks.

Definitely house insurance is the way to go. Always take reference of your frame number as well.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

At home I've got a ground anchor fixed into the ground with resin and run a cable with a heavy duty padlock through it. The last cable was a 10ml steel cable ... snip.

Looking at an 'onguard mastiff' 14ml chain that looks pretty heavy duty, 5kgs for 1m of chain and lock. £50 ... does that sound familiar to anyone? The d lock will have to do when I'm out and about.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
At home I've got a ground anchor fixed into the ground with resin and run a cable with a heavy duty padlock through it. The last cable was a 10ml steel cable ... snip.

Looking at an 'onguard mastiff' 14ml chain that looks pretty heavy duty, 5kgs for 1m of chain and lock. £50 ... does that sound familiar to anyone? The d lock will have to do when I'm out and about.

A good D lock, especially in tandem with a cable, is a great choice.

Look at number 3 on the list from this link - only about £35, and Gold Security Level.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/690/buyers-guide-choosing-the-best-bike-lock

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You're going to hate me for this.
Don't spend X, Y & Z on one big b*stard lock.

If you're leaving an expensive bike for a period of time you'd be better off spending the same amount of money on 3 different, decent locks, combo, chain and D.

The thought of having to break through 3 locks, despite probably only taking a few secs more, is more off putting than just one mahooosive chain.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I use Yellow Jersey insurance. I tipped my bike over recently and buggered one of the shifters and they had it replaced and sorted within a week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here