Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Saxons OUT

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Always thought if English nationalists harped on about being Jutie-Fresians instead of Anglo-Saxons I'd find them less annoying.

They’d scrapped Jutie- Friesan when I last went abroad. Ciggies were expensive.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
FFS and so it goes on and on and on , everyday another change or cancellation

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely that would be just as inaccurate as calling an England team "Saxons"?

Yes - I wasn’t considering it an exact parallel, just something that people rightly or wrongly might be offended by if they were over sensitive.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It used to be called England 'B', Emerging England, England XV. It took the RFU 6 years from 2000 in deciding the reserve side needed a separate, distinct identity before overwhelmingly going for Saxons over England Aces and England Bloods in 2006.

It begs the question if they needed an identity then why do they not need one now? I reckon they didn't have the imagination to try and come up with anything better.

If you are looking for an indigenous creature that bridges the white and black colour divide then maybe the England Grey Squirrels is a goer?

Or badger!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Couldn’t agree more from every point of view.

If I were living in France and supporting French Rugby and they called their team “Les Normands” (the Normans), would I be offended? Absolutely not.
It would to the French, to them the Normans were not seen as French but more English.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I just don't get it, sport uses these nicknames to be more appealing to supporters not to reflect historical accuracy. I am not aware of anyone being offended at the name Saxon both through the media and personally. To me this is more a marketing exercise put together by a trendy on-vogue consultancy.

Where does it stop are we as the seagulls excluding other avian species, do all towns with Saxon names need changing, what about the red rose on the shirts that's a bit divisive? I understand somethings need to change but this seems change for change sake

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It would to the French, to them the Normans were not seen as French but more English.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Norman invasion in 1066 was actually just another Scandinaviam invasion but bt another route - i.e. it was Scandinavians who had occupied that part of France and then decided to cross the Channel............ but I stand to be corrected. I might actually try to find out myself.

When I was at School - Worthing High School - the House names were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings. I was a Jute.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I just don't get it, sport uses these nicknames to be more appealing to supporters not to reflect historical accuracy. I am not aware of anyone being offended at the name Saxon both through the media and personally. To me this is more a marketing exercise put together by a trendy on-vogue consultancy.

Where does it stop are we as the seagulls excluding other avian species, do all towns with Saxon names need changing, what about the red rose on the shirts that's a bit divisive? I understand somethings need to change but this seems change for change sake

Now you come to mention it as a Yorkshire resident the red rose is a bit Lancastrian for my taste. Red rose out

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Norman invasion in 1066 was actually just another Scandinaviam invasion but bt another route - i.e. it was Scandinavians who had occupied that part of France and then decided to cross the Channel............ but I stand to be corrected. I might actually try to find out myself.

When I was at School - Worthing High School - the House names were Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings. I was a Jute.

Yes,that's what I heard too.
The Normans were the descendants of a Viking named Rollo who helped out the French with a bit of cash in hand contract work separate from his Viking mates and was given the land in France as reward where he settled.
Accounts from the time describing the Normans state that they were not French folk and were physically different from other people in that they were bloody big blokes with huge chests and shoulders which can also be explained by there Viking ancestry.
William the conqueror was the great grandson of Rollo,so yes,in a way the Norman invasion was a type of Viking invasion.
It's fascinating how much impact Vikings had both directly but also indirectly years after the peak of the Viking age.
But I must add I am not a proper historian this is just what I heard,so it's worth people having a look themselves to get the most accurate facts.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Couldn’t agree more from every point of view.

If I were living in France and supporting French Rugby and they called their team “Les Normands” (the Normans), would I be offended? Absolutely not.

Depends where. Les Bretons might be :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's fascinating how much impact Vikings had both directly but also indirectly years after the peak of the Viking age.

they also established the Russian state, and as Norman descendants featured prominently in the Crusades.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Makes complete sense they need to have a name that reflects our rich and diverse heritage as such I propose the the Saxons are henceforth known as the CelticRomanisedBritonSaxonAngleDuteDanishNormanScottishWelshDutchGermanGreekSpanishFrenchAfricanWestindiesIndianPakistaniBangladeshEnglish Collective peoples team apologies for any countries missed

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think it's disgusting that this place is named North Stand Chat, using the dated word "Stand" is clearly extremely prejudiced language to those with physical disabilities, who cannot in fact, stand. It's 2021, FFS.

Also, "chat" is the French word for "cat", which clearly is non-representational of the canine community.

I therefore propose the forum be renamed North Exist Domestic Pets

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ugo Monye made some very interesting comments about this recently. By not finding talent in state schools, rugby is really missing a trick. Monye himself was considered one of the fastest players in the World Seven series when he was a youngster, yet (by his own admission) he wasn't even the fastest at his school. His point was that there is lots of untapped talent out there.

Rugby is getting better at this, but if you look at recent England squads, there is still a disproportionately high number of former private school pupils.

There is a lot of untapped talent out there... when my son played at the Worthing Academy both at the club and at the 6th form College they hardly knew what they had.......... A multi county championship sprinter and an amazing athlete but they suppressed him ai always thought. I know it’s a team game and all that but he chose sprinting and fair play to him he is trying to get the qualifying time for the Brits but I have always thought there was as an amazing
winger or outside centre there if he’d met the right coach.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Normans were the descendants of a Viking named Rollo who helped out the French with a bit of cash in hand contract work separate from his Viking mates and was given the land in France as reward where he settled

Hmmm, not quite right...
The vikings raided much of the French coast similar to Britain, they went on to siege Paris, and got paid off. This happened several times and gradually they took control, The French did not have the strength to remove them, again much like here in York. The French ultimately gave them an area to settle, titles and tried to assimilate and tame them, as much as you can with a wolf....

Allegedly part of my family tree goes back to the invasion and a distant family member was given land in Devon and Somerset as reward, they originate from near Caen, I did the ancestry dna test and got 24% Scandinavian, 46% Western European , just 10% British and a mix of odds and sods. Makes perfect sense to me after recently finding my grandmothers great grandad came over from Frankfurt in 1851...

Why did I vote Brexit ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here