Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Saxons OUT

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/12303602/england-saxons-to-be-renamed-england-a-by-rfu-as-better-representation-of-our-team

saxons.JPG

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Oh Dear, I guess we should think about changing the countys name then, Northumberland and the others with connections to their past will soon follow suit.

I am sorry, I think of myself as progressive, but I really do not get why we cannot reach back in history and be proud of our roots, christ sake Saxons were immigrants.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was a terrible name: it was a terrible name in 2016 and I'm still shocked it was chosen in the first place. I suspect it was chosen to wind up the Welsh but (to use the current jargon) the optics were awful.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was a terrible name: it was a terrible name in 2016 and I'm still shocked it was chosen in the first place. I suspect it was chosen to wind up the Welsh but (to use the current jargon) the optics were awful.

Is that a problem then? :wink:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Angles have been banging on about this injustice for centuries and centuries. And don’t even mention the Jutes! Thank goodness we are finally recognising our diversity.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Angles have been banging on about this injustice for centuries and centuries. And don’t even mention the Jutes! Thank goodness we are finally recognising our diversity.

we try not to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh Dear, I guess we should think about changing the countys name then, Northumberland and the others with connections to their past will soon follow suit.

I am sorry, I think of myself as progressive, but I really do not get why we cannot reach back in history and be proud of our roots, christ sake Saxons were immigrants.

North Humber Land is land north of the Humber.

Where’s the reference to Caledonia or Vikings?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
As Sussex is derived from the South Saxons maybe it is time for the name of the 2 counties to be renamed to reflect the diversity of the current residents

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given that the same faces turn up on these threads every time, some kind of WhatsApp group would be easier.

el punal

I wonder what the thoughts are on Rugby’s Middlesex Sevens tournament????

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

The optics, WTF?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here