Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Indonesia public holidays:

Eid: 2 days officially. Unofficially can be a week. All the others officially one day.
Prophet Muhammad's birthday
The Ascension of the Prophet Muhammad
Islamic Sacrifice Day
Islamic New Year
Hindu New Year
Christmas Day
Ascension Day
Lunar New Year 1 January
Chinese New Year
Labour Day 1 May
Life, Death and Enlightenment of Buddha day
Pancasila (Indonesian ideology) Day
Independence Day

And how many days annual leave is standard ? I would rather take days off that suit my life than have yet more enforced because of a religion. America has a similarly long list and the average employee pays with less annual leave.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I understand your point but if you have the power to decide what to allow and what not to allow then you should have the courtesy to explain why.
A new thread would have done it if you are not able to post on the thread whilst preventing any other users to do so.

The message I got was seemingly addressed to me only:
maltaseagull, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

PS. It's bears in this context not bares

The message you got is default text generated by the software if a thread is moved permanently off the Board. Everybody would have seen the same. A thread can be locked - with an explanation as to why - but remains available to read ( but not post on) however if it contains problematic content this is not always the best solution.

Thanks for the heads up on “bares” and “bears” in this context. I’ve no idea why but that is a blind spot for me and I generally end up googling it to ensure I use the correct spelling. So that was genuinely useful for me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Kick ALL religion out of schools, government and bank holidays. Then it’s fair like France.

More than happy to rename bank holiday days like Christmas that were re-branded by the christians in order to remove the religious bit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-december-archaeologists-claim-83910.html?amp

100 % this. All religious activity should be banned in schools and public institutions (although I’m indifferent about the rebranding bit as it just replaced something equally primitive).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Britain is a Christian country , if we had bank hols for Eid , we would be morally obliged to do it for Jewish, Hindu, and all other major religions - this would mean an extra 4 -6 bank hols a year . It’s not going to happen.

What happens in America which I personally feel is more inclusive, is that Christmas greetings are often referred to as happy holidays rather than happy Christmas as it coincides often with other religious holidays notably Hanukkah for Jewish people . Perhaps we could follow that example .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The thread you're talking about put several posters at risk of contempt of court (essentially risking the conviction of those charged) or being reported to people higher than the NSC mods for Islamophobic hate speech.

People are very lucky the thread was binned, rather than that plus a load of bans.

Please think about that instead of playing the victim all the time.[/QUOTE]

Really?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The message you got is default text generated by the software if a thread is moved permanently off the Board. Everybody would have seen the same. A thread can be locked - with an explanation as to why - but remains available to read ( but not post on) however if it contains problematic content this is not always the best solution.

Thanks for the heads up on “bares” and “bears” in this context. I’ve no idea why but that is a blind spot for me and I generally end up googling it to ensure I use the correct spelling. So that was genuinely useful for me.

Thanks for your reply and explanation.
May I suggest that there should be an alternative template available?

"This thread has been closed as it contains problematic content"
By using my user name it seemed that I had done something wrong, but apparently I am always playing the victim :)

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
No...but equally companies should not be allowed to block muslim's leave requests for Eid celebrations

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. Having worked in a global function for most of my working life you just work around public holidays nation by nation and you and your staff do the same and if their beliefs/culture mean they need to take a day off that’s up to them.........we shouldn’t have Eid (or, for example, Thanksgiving) as a BH in the UK any more than they should have Good Friday off in Riyadh.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Agree with this.

Let’s go back to calling Christmas the mid-winter feast and ensure all bank holidays are secular. I’m sorry if that pisses off the Easter Bunny.

The last thing we need to do is keep letting religion denote our holidays. Faith should be a private matter and not forced on us all.

Ps I will defend anyone’s right to practise a faith, just don’t expect me to join in.

Amen to that. :thumbsup:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for your reply and explanation.
May I suggest that there should be an alternative template available?

"This thread has been closed as it contains problematic content"
By using my user name it seemed that I had done something wrong, but apparently I am always playing the victim :)

KeegansHairPiece, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I think you might have been the only one to take it personally to be honest. The template message is pretty generic covering several possible reasons. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. Having worked in a global function for most of my working life you just work around public holidays nation by nation and you and your staff do the same and if their beliefs/culture mean they need to take a day off that’s up to them.........we shouldn’t have Eid (or, for example, Thanksgiving) as a BH in the UK any more than they should have Good Friday off in Riyadh.

Of all the Bank Holidays you could haven chosen Good Friday is the least inappropriate in Riyadh. All Fridays are non working days.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Agree with this.

Let’s go back to calling Christmas the mid-winter feast and ensure all bank holidays are secular. I’m sorry if that pisses off the Easter Bunny.

The last thing we need to do is keep letting religion denote our holidays. Faith should be a private matter and not forced on us all.

Ps I will defend anyone’s right to practise a faith, just don’t expect me to join in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easter is actually a pagan festival of the harvest hence eggs, bunnies and the date changing. Christians just used Easter to celebrate optimus prime rising from the dead.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wouldn't have any particular objection to it replacing one of the existing May bank holidays (don't think we need an additional one this time of year, I'd put an additional one in around October time)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All religious holidays should be banned, complete re think is in order, I thought we were a progressive species and no longer required deities to keep us in check.
We now have big business, governments, banks, and social media to do that.....

Lets get rid of the christian calendar while we are at, let's adopt The International Fixed Calendar and get paid fairly for a months work extra we all do, plus we all know exactly what day our birthday is (this has nothing to do with the fact I was born on a sat honest)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Britain is a Christian country , if we had bank hols for Eid , we would be morally obliged to do it for Jewish, Hindu, and all other major religions - this would mean an extra 4 -6 bank hols a year . It’s not going to happen.

What happens in America which I personally feel is more inclusive, is that Christmas greetings are often referred to as happy holidays rather than happy Christmas as it coincides often with other religious holidays notably Hanukkah for Jewish people . Perhaps we could follow that example .
It is no longer a Christian country, its much more becoming an atheist and agnostic country. 53% of our population consider themselves Christian, but 10 - 15% of these people only say it due to being christened at a young age and don't believe in god.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In Victoria we get one for a horse race and one for the footy grandfinal.

Bugger the religious nonsense, allocate bank holidays based on what people actually do.

Oh and we get one for the Queen's Birthday too.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
With 5% of the UK population and rising identifying as Muslim, is it time to give serious consideration to adding an additional bank holiday to mark Eid each year?

The date would need to be flexible each year depending on when Eid falls, but making it a bank holiday would allow those wanting to celebrate Eid would not necessarily need to use annual leave to do so.

I presume this is a joke? Just in case it's not .... NO. Why should the 95% of us who are not Muslim want a holiday for their religious festival? What about the Hindus? What about the Buddhists? Remember this is ENGLAND.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Easter is actually a pagan festival of the harvest hence eggs, bunnies and the date changing. Christians just used Easter to celebrate optimus prime rising from the dead.

Excellent news. The Bunny is Back!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The problem is that the date for Eid-al-fritr is decided by the siting of the crescent moon & can’t be precisely determined in advance.
Declaring a bank holiday without notice would be chaotic & damaging for many businesses so for that reason - no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here