Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
With 5% of the UK population and rising identifying as Muslim, is it time to give serious consideration to adding an additional bank holiday to mark Eid each year?

The date would need to be flexible each year depending on when Eid falls, but making it a bank holiday would allow those wanting to celebrate Eid would not necessarily need to use annual leave to do so.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Be careful what you post on this topic. You may be denied access to the page with no explanation or right of appeal.
I would like to know who made the decision to block my access to a thread. Democracy lol.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Why exclude Sikhs, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus though? Why only celebrate Islam? I think it would open a can of worms if this was to happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why exclude Sikhs, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus though? Why only celebrate Islam? I think it would open a can of worms if this was to happen.

I agree. Whilst we have 3 current days linked to Christianity (xmas, Good Friday and Easter Monday), that's really just a legacy. Let's be honest, the vast majority of people that enjoy those holidays don't do so for religious reasons.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

24ACD6AC-8488-44D4-B9A2-DBE53F855297.jpeg

https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39293/1_bsa36_religion.pdf

The size of the British Islamic population is greater at a growing faster rate than the other religions you mention.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I agree. Whilst we have 3 current days linked to Christianity (xmas, Good Friday and Easter Monday), that's really just a legacy. Let's be honest, the vast majority of people that enjoy those holidays don't do so for religious reasons.

56% of the UK identify with being Christian, but 10% of those don’t believe in God.

Work that one out. :shrug:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Be careful what you post on this topic. You may be denied access to the page with no explanation or right of appeal.
I would like to know who made the decision to block my access to a thread. Democracy lol.

You're posting on a privately owned forum, where the owner bares the full burden of any legal action brought. The thread you (and every other member) have been denied access to was centred on a current legal case. The decision was taken by the moderating team to protect NSC, the owner and all of us who enjoy this site and the hundreds of other topics that don't have the potential to cause issues.

Of course, if you are willing to cover any legal costs arising we could possibly open it up again so you can post on it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With 5% of the UK population and rising identifying as Muslim, is it time to give serious consideration to adding an additional bank holiday to mark Eid each year?

The date would need to be flexible each year depending on when Eid falls, but making it a bank holiday would allow those wanting to celebrate Eid would not necessarily need to use annual leave to do so.

Holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks inc Bank Holidays so everybody would lose a day's annual leave to gain an extra bank holiday unless you expecting the economy to lose millions by everybody getting another day off

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst an atheist, I just took my kids out of school for Eid as my wife is Turkish. I joined them for a long lunch and played traditional Eid dinosaur crazy golf and had some kebabs. With a Jewish mother, I have also blagged Jewish holidays off in the past. Any excuse to spend a day with the family. My brother-in-law is a Hindu but I've been told it's taking the piss to have a day off to hang out with him on Hindu holy days. Honestly believe capitalism can still live with everyone having more days paid leave. Just look how in the depths of the current health and economic crises, the rich and powerful can still amass ever increasing wealth and award themselves endless lucrative and superfluous government contracts.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Living in the UAE where pluralism sits alongside Islam as the state religion, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, etc. are working days.

The 2 Eids (Eid Al Adha and Eid Al Fitr) usually result in 3 day holidays for both private and public sector. There are other Islamic holidays in addition.

Private companies can do what they want to do unofficially ad-hoc for celebrants of non-Islamic holidays as some do with Christmas Day in the UAE.

But those are exceptions to prove the rule. Other than that, it's the same rules for everyone regardless.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Where is Jedi on the list? I’d have guessed it would be higher than 5% and we could have a lovely day off in early May tagged onto May Day / Jack in the Green festivities for a longer break.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I’m with you on this, happened to me once and I had no idea why, no accountability from the mods, they can just remove you from threads without so much as a PM to confirm why, a bizarre practice, surely the only reason to remove someone from a thread must mean they’ve done something ban worthy otherwise you’re just removing someone from a thread for a different opinion to the general tone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where will it end?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I’m with you on this, happened to me once and I had no idea why, no accountability from the mods, they can just remove you from threads without so much as a PM to confirm why, a bizarre practice, surely the only reason to remove someone from a thread must mean they’ve done something ban worthy otherwise you’re just removing someone from a thread for a different opinion to the general tone.

Only that wasnt the case, the entire thread was closed, no one has access. Probably the same thing happened to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here