Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Left Wing Back

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It's well documented that we need to strengthen in this area, to give competition to Solly.
The 'Athletic' have mentioned Callum Styles of Barnsley who has had some raves reviews. If they don't get promoted via the play offs then I can see us potentially making an offer.
However, I see that Ryan Bertrand of Southampton has decided ' in the last 48 hours' to reject the offer of a new contract there. Other clubs have shown an interest. Could we attract someone like him?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It's well documented that we need to strengthen in this area, to give competition to Solly.
The 'Athletic' have mentioned Callum Styles of Barnsley who has had some raves reviews. If they don't get promoted via the play offs then I can see us potentially making an offer.
However, I see that Ryan Bertrand of Southampton has decided ' in the last 48 hours' to reject the offer of a new contract there. Other clubs have shown an interest. Could we attract someone like him?

Ryan Bertrand is one of a number of Southampton players on £70k+ per week contracts. If he's rejecting a new offer, which I'd be surprised if worse than his current one, then presume he's shopping around for a better offer. Not sure we're quite in the market for £70k+ per week left backs...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ryan Bertrand is one of a number of Southampton players on £70k+ per week contracts. If he's rejecting a new offer, which I'd be surprised if worse than his current one, then presume he's shopping around for a better offer. Not sure we're quite in the market for £70k+ per week left backs...

Actually Southampton have no money, the owners are unwilling to invest any more money, so i would guess is his new contract offer is either the same or less.
Southampton are nailed on relegation next season Ralph is not happy and maybe off in the summer along with Ings and Ward-Prowse...

sinking ship

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bertrand has been playing left back in a 4-4-2 rather than left wing back. Admittedly a bit restricted from there but his cross accuracy is 17%, which is worse than Dan Burn's who is our worst. He has one assist all season and created one big chance. Saints have conceded 62 goals compared to our 41 this season and he earns more than either of our incumbents.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Actually Southampton have no money, the owners are unwilling to invest any more money, so i would guess is his new contract offer is either the same or less.
Southampton are nailed on relegation next season Ralph is not happy and maybe off in the summer along with Ings and Ward-Prowse...

sinking ship

I suppose that's true given the nett spend is so low given the huge fees they've reaped for certain players. In actual fact they've not really spent anything on transfer fees for a good 5 years that hasn't come from sales.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Bertrand has been playing left back in a 4-4-2 rather than left wing back. Admittedly a bit restricted from there but his cross accuracy is 17%, which is worse than Dan Burn's who is our worst. He has one assist all season and created one big chance. Saints have conceded 62 goals compared to our 41 this season and he earns more than either of our incumbents.

Is that a no then? :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If Wolves don't take up their option (he's on loan with option to buy), Rayan Ait-Nouri seems like the kind of player who might be on our radar.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I suppose that's true given the nett spend is so low given the huge fees they've reaped for certain players. In actual fact they've not really spent anything on transfer fees for a good 5 years that hasn't come from sales.

Ever since Markus Liebherr died back 2010 the ownership got passed on to his daughter I think and obviously the investment has gone down year on year. The family have finally lost all interest in the club and are making things difficult for Ralph to operate is what I have heard and he is on his way out.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Bertrand's age is against him too. 31 with no resell value is not a demographic we are looking for particularly. On the downslope and not really progressive enough with the ball. I think he has ability though and if we signed him I wouldn't be upset, I would though be surprised.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If Wolves don't take up their option (he's on loan with option to buy), Rayan Ait-Nouri seems like the kind of player who might be on our radar.

Looked excellent in France not been overly impressed with what I've seen since he went to Wolves. That said wouldn't be the 1st player who took time to get up to speed in the EPL.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Where has this been documented out of interest?

I considered left wing back an area of least concern, as March & Burn are our first two choices in that position, with several others putting in a good job in that position this season.

Would be delighted if the club did sign someone in that position, but that would surely make Burn surplus to requirements.

The 'Athletic' if they are to be believed. As you say, having Burn as a back up seems to make us relatively well catered for. However, as part of our 'succession planning' I can see Styles being the type of player we go for so that we have someone to provide further competition in the future. Wing Back is also a particularly gruelling position and a bit of squad rotation wouldn't be a bad thing. I can't see Bertrand being the type of option we would go for as he'd want to be a regular.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't think Potter wants to play Karbo on the left so we certainly need an LWB similar to March but perhaps with a better eye for goal. Burn is good but should be seen as a tactical change type of player rather than someone who would own the position like March does. Ryan Sessegnon is the man for me. He'd replace Bernardo & Izquierdo. Sing him up.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Ever since Markus Liebherr died back 2010 the ownership got passed on to his daughter I think and obviously the investment has gone down year on year. The family have finally lost all interest in the club and are making things difficult for Ralph to operate is what I have heard and he is on his way out.

Let's hope so. We need some candidates to fill those relegation places next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

sinking ship
Sinking ship - or maybe it's the first sign of a crack in the ever spiralling cost of players' wages. Player out of contract - you'd quit like to keep him, but not desperate, so offer a lower contract (I'm sure it would still be an eye-watering amount to any citizens of the real world!) If you don't want it - good luck getting £70K a week elsewhere. And if other clubs are feeling the pinch too (apart from the likes of Man. City, Chelsea, etc.) the player may find they're not saying, 'You're on a free, so here's a million up front, and a bigger contract than you had before' as they once might have done, but offering them a lower amount too.
I'm sure he won't suffer much financially (for a while at least) but if no clubs offer him the amount he wants, come the end of June he will be an ex-PL footballer on £0 per week.

Of course this won't be affecting the Messi, Pogba, Ronaldo etc. end of the market for a long while yet, but it's already happening further down the divisions - no reason why it won't affect the lower regions of the PL too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Good shout, but if Wolves have an option, they'd be made to give us that chance. He's looked very direct and accomplished, and he's only 19.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Absence makes grow fonder and seem longer season went the better March became. As wingback better than Burn but should be looking to improve on him

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He plays as part of a back four, but I’ve really rated Charlie Taylor this year at Burnley.

You know he can defend as part of a Dyche back line but also is pretty adventurous and delivers some real quality from there too.

27 years old, could be a good option.

Antonee Robinson at Fulham is younger with more potential but has been flawed defensively at times.

Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Where has this been documented out of interest?

I considered left wing back an area of least concern, as March & Burn are our first two choices in that position, with several others putting in a good job in that position this season.

Would be delighted if the club did sign someone in that position, but that would surely make Burn surplus to requirements.

But Sollys currently injured Quite a serious injury ACL? Any idea what his return date is speculated to be ?
DB s going nowhere Potter likes his versatility Even if it eventually becomes from off the bench

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here