Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Land registry question

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all,

If you want to change the boundary on a property slightly by a metre down a small strip and you have the
consent of both parties involved (i.e., both houses), is it simply a question of submitting an application to the Land
Registry (LR) and it's job done? At what point does the council get involved, if at any point?

I'm just trying to establish if or when the LR (which is a national body) has to
notify/ask the council (local) of the change.

It all seems so straightforward, but I know that would be far too easy.

Ta for any help,

:bhasign:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Best asked on the BBS forum. They are squabbling with Sainsburys over a bit of land. [emoji16]

Sorry to derail the thread so early.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Hi all,

If you want to change the boundary on a property slightly by a metre down a small strip and you have the
consent of both parties involved (i.e., both houses), is it simply a question of submitting an application to the Land
Registry (LR) and it's job done? At what point does the council get involved, if at any point?

I'm just trying to establish if or when the LR (which is a national body) has to

Ta for any help,

I think you'd only need to notify the local authority if there was a change of use. If both are residential and the strip is garden, the change doesn't represent a change of use. If the neighbour used their land for some other purpose than garden, lets say it was part of an agricultural holding, you'd need to apply for a change of use for the strip in question form that to residential.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think you'd only need to notify the local authority if there was a change of use. If both are residential and the strip is garden, the change doesn't represent a change of use. If the neighbour used their land for some other purpose than garden, lets say it was part of an agricultural holding, you'd need to apply for a change of use for the strip in question form that to residential.

Makes sense, thanks KHP.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Hi all,

Ta for any help,

A couple of complications to be aware of.

You will need a Land Registry Complaint plan to show the new boundary.

If there are mortgages on the properties then you will probably need their consent.

But the council will not get told.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here