Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which European football powerhouse could have tempted you away from the Albion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having learned your trade at small clubs, like, say Newport County, after one season at The Goldstone/Preistfield/Withdean/Amex* you suddenly find yourself with the pick of Europe's elite football clubs.

Now you're on the verge of swapping the bright lights of Worthing for similar cities across continental Europe, as well a suburbs just north of Horsham, who's your just can't say "no" too team?

As a centre back myself, I'd have found it very difficult to turn down the AC half of the San Siro, in order to stay at the Goldstone.

If Europe's elite were currently on the lookout for a rotund 50+ year old who struggles with stairs, but still has great hair, I think I might be plotting a course of Napoli, but with reservations of wilting under fan pressure.

It would have been PSG but no for ethical reason.
No to Ajax for obvious reasons.

It's a shame it never would have worked out for me and Sampdoria.
If I was being courted by AC I was clearly too good for them then, as I would be now, much like Marseilles.

*Delete as appropriate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wish Copenhagen were a European powerhouse as I bloody love Denmark, been there numerous times and could genuinely see me and my family living happily there.

I suppose I also need to wish I was 15 years younger and a LOT better at football.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Having learned your trade at small clubs, like, say Newport County, after one season at The Goldstone/Preistfield/Withdean/Amex* you suddenly find yourself with the pick of Europe's elite football clubs.

Now you're on the verge of swapping the bright lights of Worthing for similar cities across continental Europe, as well a suburbs just north of Horsham, who's your just can't say "no" too team?

As a centre back myself, I'd have found it very difficult to turn down the AC half of the San Siro, in order to stay at the Goldstone.

If Europe's elite were currently on the lookout for a rotund 50+ year old who struggles with stairs, but still has great hair, I think I might be plotting a course of Napoli, but with reservations of wilting under fan pressure.

If I was being courted by AC I was clearly too good for them then, as I would be now, much like Marseilles.

*Delete as appropriate.

Whichever one paid the most.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bayern Munich is enormously tempting

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wish Copenhagen were a European powerhouse as I bloody love Denmark, been there numerous times and could genuinely see me and my family living happily there.

I suppose I also need to wish I was 15 years younger and a LOT better at football.

This isn't Wish You Were Here, with Judith Chalmers.

You're going to work, but it's gotta be a deal that would have you' prepared to leave the Albion & WORTHING. :ohmy:

As for talent, I appear to have suddenly become good enough to oust Baresi from AC Milan, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, either.

I still haven't decided on my current move, although Barca and Real are off the table, I'd stay in Worthing.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having the sense to not be living in Worthing I could stay and lead the Albion to European glory and to becoming the world club champions.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Fiorentina - due to C4's Football Italia my childhood 'other' club. Beautiful city; the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of such luminaries as Batigol, Rui Costa, Robbiati, Toldo and Di Livio; neither of the Milan giants nor the Old Lady

Failing that, and for similar reasons, Real Betis - Seville; Alfonso Munoz Perez, Finidi George, Joaquin, Assuncao.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see The Sun are linking Ben White to Mourinho's Roma, but in reality that would mean playing under a manager with serious question marks against his name in a team that is currently 7th in Serie A and 27 points off top spot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see The Sun are linking Ben White to Mourinho's Roma, but in reality that would mean playing under a manager with serious question marks against his name in a team that is currently 7th in Serie A and 27 points off top spot.

Elon Musk’s kid has question marks against his name....plus some funny Greek symbols as well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

*Delete as appropriate.

Barcelona. Great team made up of quality players, guaranteed European football and trophies and an amazing city to leave in/near.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Not too different from linking him to ex-Mourinho Spurs, playing under a manager whose identity next season is currently solely question marks in a team that is currently 7th in the PL and 24 points off top spot. :shrug:

* I know who Ryan Mason is, but if we're taking a gamble

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barcelona. Great team made up of quality players, guaranteed European football and trophies and an amazing city to leave in/near.

But has it ever featured in a Capital One advert?

I thought not.

I can't see me singing for Roma.
Despite not being racist if I was going to Rome it would have to be Lazio, I guess that's Richardson and Gazza's fault.

But as neither are currently powerhouses of European football it's a bit of a moot point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here