Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this what a Super League would be like?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We are safe. Three matches ahead of us. Overnight all the tension has disappeared. Three Top 10 clubs to play and nothing to fight for. All that's left is playing for a position in the League that, for the sake of this argument, is simply playing to add a few million back to the owners. Now the realisation has sunk in that I spent £145 on three tickets for the Man City game, I'm surprised I got carried away and didn't just watch one more game on TV this season. I can't imagine paying huge sums on a regular basis to watch exhibition matches just to line the pockets of the owners. That's what a Super League would be and by timing and opposition, that's what our match against Man City will will be. This is no criticism in any way of Albion and I'm looking forward to the game. No criticism of our owners or hierarchy either. But I can't be the only one who already feels the rest of the season has lost it's edge and drama and would be how Spurs or Arsenal fans would feel in a Super League, playing year in, year out with no chance of winning, no jeopardy of relegation, players not playing with any edge as nothing to play for but more money to their clubs. It truly would be a sorry end for football as we know it and I already feel like our last three matches will be a small replication of what could have happened (albeit we wouldn't be involved in the real thing).

Anyone else feel the same way?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Manchester City would always be my final pick of the 19 home games to attend.

With their resources and the strength of their squad I always feel this is our least winnable game and the least competitive.

With them also being typically a 50+ points gap each season, a win is far less important than beating the teams around us.

I’d much rather watch us play in a competitive match against teams around us like Southampton, Palace & Burnley.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is where you really notice that football without fans is nothing .

With fans you give city a welcome round the station . Out sing them on the way to the ground . Represent the club on tv with a good atmosphere . Then have some banter and more singing on the trains and concourses after . It would all be about showing city and the country the passion of little old Brighton .

Without any of this , it’s pretty meaningless

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think the only difference is that it marks the return of the fans. If I didn't have a season ticket and the situation was otherwise identical, would I buy a ticket for this game knowing we're already safe? No. As big nuts says, the games against Man City are almost always a pointless exercise. We'll do ok, play some nice stuff, lose fairly comfortably and pick up some nice words from Pep in the process.

What I find interesting is that in the Super League some clubs (like Spurs) will end up feeling like we feel. Suddenly a midweek trip to Madrid to lose 3-1 for the 6th time on the bounce will get very boring, very quickly - especially when they then come back to the PL and lose 2-1 away to Burnley.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've seen calls for a Barca friendly to celebrate 10 years at the Amex. Why Barca? Because of Messi and the top players they have. In the same way we should take the opportunity to watch the top rated players City can freely afford with their billionaire owners sponsoring shoelaces for £10,000,000 (allegedly). Yes they are overpaid but they are also the best in the country. Enjoy. Plus I want to see what Pep is wearing.
But in answer to your question, yes a ESL would be boring but then Palace, Arsenal and others live that life already starting a season knowing they have little chance of winning anything.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh football without tension is very odd. I'm not used to it, but it will take some adapting to.

I think I can manage three games of end of season fare though. Three game of just being able to sit and admire the skills on show. It will be nice.

Then next season it's back on the rollercoaster once more

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We can still beat our highest ever final league position so plenty to play for. I would say this is what football used to look like for most teams before the introduction of the play offs. We have had plenty of relatively meaningless final few games of seasons where it is possible to relax and enjoy the day out.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We can still beat our highest ever final league position so plenty to play for.

We could ... but it's highly unlikely. We'd have to win all of our last three games and hope that Wolves don't win again (and Palace win no more than one)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think it'll be more akin to an early round cup match. Bound to be an interesting team selection for the Albion and some City players rested for the upcoming Champions League match. Was always going to be a bit of an odd one, but it represents a welcome step towards normality and personally really looking forward to seeing some very dear friends I've not seen in a year. What's not to like?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are safe. Three matches ahead of us. Overnight all the tension has disappeared. Three Top 10 clubs to play and nothing to fight for. All that's left is playing for a position in the League that, for the sake of this argument, is simply playing to add a few million back to the owners. Now the realisation has sunk in that I spent £145 on three tickets for the Man City game, I'm surprised I got carried away and didn't just watch one more game on TV this season. I can't imagine paying huge sums on a regular basis to watch exhibition matches just to line the pockets of the owners. That's what a Super League would be and by timing and opposition, that's what our match against Man City will will be. This is no criticism in any way of Albion and I'm looking forward to the game. No criticism of our owners or hierarchy either. But I can't be the only one who already feels the rest of the season has lost it's edge and drama and would be how Spurs or Arsenal fans would feel in a Super League, playing year in, year out with no chance of winning, no jeopardy of relegation, players not playing with any edge as nothing to play for but more money to their clubs. It truly would be a sorry end for football as we know it and I already feel like our last three matches will be a small replication of what could have happened (albeit we wouldn't be involved in the real thing).

Anyone else feel the same way?
I'm not bouncing this for any snide or sarcastic reason - but are you glad you bought the tickets now? :) (Assuming you went).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm not bouncing this for any snide or sarcastic reason - but are you glad you bought the tickets now? :) (Assuming you went).

Must admit my reflection on the City game was intended to be balanced more towards a criticism of the proposed Super League structure. As I said, I was looking forward to the game and it suddenly dawned on me how much I'd spent on a match that had a lot less meaning in terms of relegation. But hell yeah, that was the best money I've spent in years. A fabulous night with my wife and son doing what we love best together. Absolutely memorable as one of the best nights ever at The Amex. Yes, I'm glad I bought the tickets, the parking, the programme, the drinks, the Mars bars, the pies, the socks (?) and the greeny coloured Albion away top. Wonderful night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here