Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations Man City.........

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Ho hum....yawn..what a magnificent achievement for the mega bucks oil rich billionaires! How very inspiring...NOT! Doubtless the media will be trying to talk it up and make it out to be some kind of miracle, love to see us stuff 'em down at our place!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guarded against the 'money' argument these days. We wouldn't have got here without a large investment and absorbed losses- although not on such a scale.

Many of our fans saying Uncle Tony should be financing players the club can't realistically afford if trying to break even.

Aside, in a footballing sense City are the best playing team I have seen in my time.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm guarded against the 'money' argument these days. We wouldn't have got here without a large investment and absorbed losses- although not on such a scale.

Many of our fans saying Uncle Tony should be financing players the club can't realistically afford if trying to break even.

Aside, in a footballing sense City are the best playing team I have seen in my time.

Yeah know what you mean. Feels a bit different though knowing that the money is from someone who cares about the actual club, rather than a billion pound accessory acquisition. I'd be congratulating them say the Gallagher's or someone bought them. Not saying that could or would happen but you know

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I may be wrong, but I can't imagine City fans get all that much satisfaction from these titles. I appreciate money alone doesn't equal titles and success, and they DO play wonderful football. But they are so far removed from the Man City of old, its like a different club.

Then again, maybe I'm breaking a few panes in my little glass house there.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes they have mega bucks and yes wanted the European super league but congrats to them on another title.
Ps......please give us 3 points next week so we can catch others:)

Yes, congratulations Man City ... (blue shifted spits on floor)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
While appreciating its all about the money, they do play some great football and have the best manager around...... who also seems to be a genuine bloke.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Even with all City's money, we had their number on one notable occasion at Withdean.

"...suddenly a Brighton side who lost to 9 man Walsall last weekend were giving the richest club in the world a runaround..."

Albion penalties going in. And a Glenn Murray goal for good measure.

Enjoy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As dominant teams go I far prefer Pep' Citeh to United under Sir Alex or Chelsea under Mourinho. They are a joy to watch and don't have to cheat their way or employ the dark arts to win matches.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I may be wrong, but I can't imagine City fans get all that much satisfaction from these titles. I appreciate money alone doesn't equal titles and success, and they DO play wonderful football. But they are so far removed from the Man City of old, its like a different club.

Then again, maybe I'm breaking a few panes in my little glass house there.

It's hard to know how it would feel. Also being successful so regularly breeds contempt.

I've seen it here. Lower placed clubs being described as 'tinpot', the very thing we used to counter with the objection that we were 'proper fans'.

Then there is the JCLs, the temporary player centric fanbases, the transient support.

Success is mostly bought these days and I think my ego would be confused by a huge investor. I'd want joy at seeing the club I watched in Div4 at the top, but I'd also feel that all those silly childhood dreams were fulfilled by a consortium with big pockets rather than a Roy of the Rovers tail.

I've often said if Albion were taken over by oil merchants that would be it for me. But I couldn't stop loving its heart if not its mind.

I just hope it doesn't happen and that for as long as I'm around in this life Tony is too.

Yes, to a large degree our rise to the top table came on the back of a wealthy investor, but he was a true supporter of the club. And that does make me feel so much less compromised in my support of the ideal of an organic club.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Does anyone else think that a player wage cap might put an end to this.

Back in the day IIRC Hurstpierpoint's very own Jimmy Hill helped secure a minimum wage for professional footballers as they were so poorly paid.
Don't we now need a maximum so that more clubs can compete financially?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Their first modern title, secured in the way it was with two goals in the dying minutes, was one of the most exciting non-Albion, non-England things in football. But subsequent titles have felt far different and more 'meh'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does anyone else think that a player wage cap might put an end to this.

Back in the day IIRC Hurstpierpoint's very own Jimmy Hill helped secure a minimum wage for professional footballers as they were so poorly paid.
Don't we now need a maximum so that more clubs can compete financially?

Jimmy Hill didn't secure a minimum wage for footballers, he was instrumental in removal of the maximum wage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here