Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fan representation on the Albion board.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's just PR and window dressing. Even if there had been fan representation on the boards of the greedy 6 does anyone genuinely believe that the ESL would have been openly discussed at those meetings?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Reckon we need this less than any other club in the league. Someone hijacking the board meeting as a self-anointed ‘voice of the people’ to whinge about flasks, bottle tops or free birthday kit for 7 year olds ? Nah.

How about a fan anointed voice?

Season ticket holders and members could vote for a representative every couple of years.

I think it is a great idea, even if it is a bit tokenistic it is a gesture and some recognition for those that kept this club alive during the dark times.

If I am honest, I am disappointed that this hasn't been a thing since our Dick Knight times.

At least we'd know where the cup final money went :nono::facepalm::)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's just PR and window dressing. Even if there had been fan representation on the boards of the greedy 6 does anyone genuinely believe that the ESL would have been openly discussed at those meetings?

This - would end up with two board meetings....might as well stick with the Fan's Forum.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Let's look at the Spurs idea, similar to the other big clubs ideas. We'll have a fan on the board, a real ST holder who drinks a few pints pre match and goes to away games. This guy (or girl) will sit amongst board members who are very very bright with their money and are excellent sales people. They will be able to sell the ESL to the fan in the same way Man City sold it to Chelsea.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
This - would end up with two board meetings....might as well stick with the Fan's Forum.

It could be useful, if there is generally a separation between the meetings (or parts of meetings) where they are discussing signings and the heavy financial aspects of the club, and those parts that relate more directly to the fan experience. I assume that those conversations only partially overlap anyway.

But in general, I don't see what problem this solves.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Agree with others. So long as we have an owner who is a fan, don’t think fan representation is necessary.
The Club would not welcome this (as they blocked DK selling his shares to fans).
Some sort of regular fans consultation would be a good idea but, as this forum shows, there are as many views as fans!
Safe standing is a good example of the Club consulting fans in such a biased way that they got the result they wanted.
Trust TB (at least for now).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We already have a fan as an owner
Nobody in their right mind would want anyone else running the club right now. But this is about the long term isn't it?

I think fans representation on the board is a bit of a pointless gimmick (and could be counterproductive as some things MUST remain confidential in a board room) but the 50+1 model has done German football no harm at all really has it?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nobody in their right mind would want anyone else running the club right now. But this is about the long term isn't it?

I think fans representation on the board is a bit of a pointless gimmick (and could be counterproductive as some things MUST remain confidential in a board room) but the 50+1 model has done German football no harm at all really has it?

I am a fan of the 50+1 model but I cannot see this being implemented in the PL as Germany introduced it back before all the TV money came in. The value of clubs now would make it non viable for supporters to have that kind of share in a club and I am sure I read somewhere for clubs like Manchester United (who are listed companies) it’s a complete non-starter.

Germany’s success comes from more sustainable football clubs living within their means and I would rather see salary caps and stronger FFP measures to protect fans from overspending owners. This combined with some sort of legislation maybe by government to protect the culture of the pyramid and clubs that have a deep rooted history from upping sticks and chasing money would be welcome as well. Again sure someone on here suggested it but with historic buildings we have grade listings that prevent owners from destroying the history of the building. Would be great to have some legislation to protect our clubs that have a long history and attachment to their local areas.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fans on the board (aside from those already on it) probably never going to happen. A GENUINE Share Offer to fans, along the lines DK wanted, on the other hand, would seem to be a step worth taking IMHO, even if it was largely symbolic. Who wouldn't want to own a genuine share in BHAFC, however small?

20210512_121608.jpg

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
With Tony Bloom at the helm and how the club is currently run we don't need any representation but long term I don't see it as a bad thing.

Yes it would be relatively tokenistic and yes we definitely don't want some happy clapper, bobble hatter or self-important, self anointed spokesperson for the fans in the role but some kind of fan representation is healthy I think. As [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] said, anyone who wants to do should be disqualified. Like politicians in Plato's world...

Make it an accepted and institutionalised part of the club and it can help raise red flags with any future owners. If it becomes the accepted norm to involve the representation then it should become harder to do an archer or some other type of shyster scummery.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am a fan of the 50+1 model but I cannot see this being implemented in the PL as Germany introduced it back before all the TV money came in. The value of clubs now would make it non viable for supporters to have that kind of share in a club and I am sure I read somewhere for clubs like Manchester United (who are listed companies) it’s a complete non-starter.

Germany’s success comes from more sustainable football clubs living within their means and I would rather see salary caps and stronger FFP measures to protect fans from overspending owners. This combined with some sort of legislation maybe by government to protect the culture of the pyramid and clubs that have a deep rooted history from upping sticks and chasing money would be welcome as well. Again sure someone on here suggested it but with historic buildings we have grade listings that prevent owners from destroying the history of the building. Would be great to have some legislation to protect our clubs that have a long history and attachment to their local areas.

Not sure that's correct. German football insolvencies aren't much different to our.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_in_Professional_Football_A_German_Sonderweg

So the only league putting the 50 + 1 rule in place is no better than ours in terms of insolvency. Yes, no German club joined the ESL but then neither did any French club, or Portugese club or Dutch club so it wasn't the 50 + 1 rule that prevented clubs joining.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I like the idea but I'm not convinced that it would change anything. In the end, most owners plough millions in every season and therefore can do pretty much what they like.

I'd imagine everyone would agree to anything PB asked for just to get him to stop talking!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fans on the board (aside from those already on it) probably never going to happen. A GENUINE Share Offer to fans, along the lines DK wanted, on the other hand, would seem to be a step worth taking IMHO, even if it was largely symbolic. Who wouldn't want to own a genuine share in BHAFC, however small?

View attachment 136651

Have you considered the amount of on going admin that would be required just to placate the bobble hats?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have you considered the amount of on going admin that would be required just to placate the bobble hats?

Not my problem. Not the club's problem either. Just sling 'em some 'B' shares, same as Brewdog do. Get a share certificate to frame and hang on the wall. Life goes on pretty much as it always did :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here