Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ex Derby player wins £2.3m case against them

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That was never going to stick. The other two would have no cause to complain but proving Keogh knew he was being driven by drunk drivers was the only way of making gross misconduct stick. Unless he was mocking Pascal's Cryuff turns in which case - throw the book at him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite right too. The other two numbskulls (who were actually CONVICTED) got away with a club fine. They discriminated against Keogh due to his age and relative £ value to the club. Absolutely disgraceful to a player who had given them 7 years service, most as captain.

Derby are an utter shambles from top to bottom. They could (and would fully deserve) to be relegated due to their financial shenannigans that came about around the same time as Massive's, for much the same reasons. Morris selling the stadium to himself, as well as not factoring in player amortisation into their accounts, and in doing so dodging the £39m losses they were limited to under FFP.

I hope the EFL throw the book at them.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Going by the end part of that story, am I right in thinking that they could still get a points deduction for this season and be relegated?
Ooh, what a palaver.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Quite right too. The other two numbskulls (who were actually CONVICTED) got away with a club fine. They discriminated against Keogh due to his age and relative £ value to the club. Absolutely disgraceful to a player who had given them 7 years service, most as captain.

Derby are an utter shambles from top to bottom. They could (and would fully deserve) to be relegated due to their financial shenannigans that came about around the same time as Massive's, for much the same reasons. Morris selling the stadium to himself, as well as not factoring in player amortisation into their accounts, and in doing so dodging the £39m losses they were limited to under FFP.

If they had sacked all three, they might (I only say might) have had a chance of saying it was fair punishment. There is no way they could claim fair punishment for sacking the passenger and retaining the drivers.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
To start with I'm thinking 'serves you right' but then I read that the two drivers, both over the limit, fled from the scene leaving Keogh unconscious. But they could still play football and so were merely fined by the club. Keogh, out of action for a year, was told to take a pay cut. He didn't and so they sacked him.

el punal

Wasn’t there an incident, around the time we played at Derby in December 2015 and drew 2-2 (?), that Mel Morris stormed into their dressing at halftime and had a go at their players? Apart from transgressing the cardinal rule of NEVER getting involved with players and coaching staff during a match, he totally undermined the credibility of Paul Clement, the manager at the time.

Derby’s desperate bid to achieve promotion has resulted in them hiring and firing TWELVE managers in the last eight years. On that basis it is hardly surprising that they are now in a gigantic shit storm of their own making - and fully deserved too. :drink:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A disgusting way to treat a club legend, he was a colossus in that Rams defence for many years and loved by the fans. I also understand he had opportunities to leave Derby for the EPL.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
To start with I'm thinking 'serves you right' but then I read that the two drivers, both over the limit, fled from the scene leaving Keogh unconscious. But they could still play football and so were merely fined by the club. Keogh, out of action for a year, was told to take a pay cut. He didn't and so they sacked him.

That is what is commonly known as a ‘***** trick’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Congrats to Keogh - that is the way to screw a club that tries to scapegoat you.

And to rub it in - he is now playing with a club that finished in front of Derby this season.

Its also worth noting that there is no mention of the ruling on the BBC football website.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It’s tagged on the end of the main Derby story

Keogh's successful case goes far beyond Derby - it has seriously clipped the wings of how clubs can treat players.

This is one of a series of examples about how the BBC (and Sky) have tried to row back on the impact of the protests against the ESL - there has been a major shifting of reporting away from the outlook of fans and players and back to propping up the billionaire owners of the clubs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Congrats to Keogh - that is the way to screw a club that tries to scapegoat you.

And to rub it in - he is now playing with a club that finished in front of Derby this season.

Its also worth noting that there is no mention of the ruling on the BBC football website.

Meh - I disagree. Club captain should know better than letting a 'team bonding' trip get out of control and more so getting into a car knowing the driver is drunk. I Think he was even curled up in the footwell was he not?

His actions and resulting injury made him unavailable for service for 12 months. Derby should have just put him on statutory sick pay

Not sure if it did happen or was offered, but if Keogh had any decency he would have offered to take a 50-75% pay cut while he got fit

Pro players have clauses in their contracts forbidding things like sky diving, skiing etc. I'd add getting into a car knowing the driver is drunk is probably more dangerous than those sports

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chuffed about that.

Mel Morris targeted the player near the end of his career, who was so often despised by Derby fans at that time, the fall guy for losses.

Whilst opting for touchy-feely with the club's prize asset Tom Lawrence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Keogh's successful case goes far beyond Derby - it has seriously clipped the wings of how clubs can treat players.

This is one of a series of examples about how the BBC (and Sky) have tried to row back on the impact of the protests against the ESL - there has been a major shifting of reporting away from the outlook of fans and players and back to propping up the billionaire owners of the clubs.

Excellent post.

Spot on about the billionaire owners image in the media. Abramovich and Mansour have received praise very recently, for some bizarre reason excused for their furtive part in ESL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here