Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Very Late Goals Analysis 20/21. We scored more then we conceded (surprised me!)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
After the Wolves result there has been a lot of talk about how brittle we are and how this leads to us conceding late goals. However to my surprise when I looked at it we have actually scored more goals after the 85th minute this season than we have conceded.

Goals we have scored.

Everton Away - consolation
Palace Away - 1 point gained
Liverpool Home - 1 point gained
Sheffield United home - 1 point gained
Manchester United home - the anomaly due to what happened next!

Goals against

Manchester United - one point lost
Palace home - one point lost
Leicester home - one point lost
Wolves away - one point lost.

So despite appearances we do not have a huge problem in that we are only one point worse off as a result of late goals and actually if it wasn’t for that ridiculous amount of added time versus Man U (I’m still bitter) we would have a net gain of points.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Interesting.however add to those the following let offs late on;
Wolves at home. Missed open goal in last minute.
Fulham at home. Dunks clearance off the line.
Everton at home. Dominated all game only to let them have a great chance at the end.

( all when we were generally in the ascendency. )

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting.however add to those the following let offs late on;
Wolves at home. Missed open goal in last minute.
Fulham at home. Dunks clearance off the line.
Everton at home. Dominated all game only to let them have a great chance at the end.

( all when we were generally in the ascendency. )

There's not one single hat I wont eat if Brighton didnt miss any decent chances post-85 minutes. Its probably quite even in that sense as well.

Been lots of talk about "game management" this season. This expression, "game management", means nothing. If a team or manager could decide when not to concede a goal, they would be "game managing" for 90 minutes. However this is not how the sport works out: there are two teams involved and both of them have a say in whether goals will or wont be scored. In the 5th minute as well as in the 85th minute, its about outperforming the opposition. Conceding a goal in the 90th minute is not "poor game management", it is inadequate defending. Not conceding a goal in the 90th minute is not "good game management", its adequate defending.

Did you ever see a manager talk about "game management"? Most likely not, because its a phrase borrowed from American football sports journalism. Using the phrase means nothing but "I dont understand the game well enough to understand what is really happening, so I'm going to rely on this abstract phrase". In any of the conceded goals you can point out individual, tactical or psychological weaknesses that to some extent must be true or the goal wouldnt get scored, but "game management" meaning you somehow make it impossible for the other team to score is not a thing, every team scores and concedes late and it isnt because the "game management" is insufficient, it is because the actions on the football field are insufficient.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There's not one single hat I wont eat if Brighton didnt miss any decent chances post-85 minutes. Its probably quite even in that sense as well.

Been lots of talk about "game management" this season. This expression, "game management", means nothing. If a team or manager could decide when not to concede a goal, they would be "game managing" for 90 minutes. However this is not how the sport works out: there are two teams involved and both of them have a say in whether goals will or wont be scored. In the 5th minute as well as in the 85th minute, its about outperforming the opposition. Conceding a goal in the 90th minute is not "poor game management", it is inadequate defending. Not conceding a goal in the 90th minute is not "good game management", its adequate defending.

Did you ever see a manager talk about "game management"? Most likely not, because its a phrase borrowed from American football sports journalism. Using the phrase means nothing but "I dont understand the game well enough to understand what is really happening, so I'm going to rely on this abstract phrase". In any of the conceded goals you can point out individual, tactical or psychological weaknesses that to some extent must be true or the goal wouldnt get scored, but "game management" meaning you somehow make it impossible for the other team to score is not a thing, every team scores and concedes late and it isnt because the "game management" is insufficient, it is because the actions on the football field are insufficient.

Good points, Swanny, but to play devil's advocate, couldn't you say game management refers to the tactics/formation employed at different stages of the game? ie Late on when you're holding a lead, you'd want to keep the ball in "safe" areas and not commit too many men forward. Going gung ho to extend your lead in injury time would be bad game management in my book.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Happy Birthday, Swanny :vuvu:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good points, Swanny, but to play devil's advocate, couldn't you say game management refers to the tactics/formation employed at different stages of the game? ie Late on when you're holding a lead, you'd want to keep the ball in "safe" areas and not commit too many men forward. Going gung ho to extend your lead in injury time would be bad game management in my book.

There's no safe areas (well, there are in short moments, but whenever you lose the ball wherever you are on the pitch you have a chance of conceding).

Sure, going gung ho and conceding a goal would be "bad game management", since you opened up spaces for a counter. But dropping down into the lap of your own keeper and conceding would also be "bad game management", because you invited the pressure. Hence whatever you do when you concede, it is "bad game management", and whatever you do when you avoid conceding your odd goal lead, it is "good game management"... meaning the phrase and the concept itself means very little. "We defended well enough to get the points / did not defend well enough to get the points" or "held the ball well enough to get the points" are things you could say that doesnt say a whole lot, but still more than the clever sounding yet empty phrase "game management".

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
After the Wolves result there has been a lot of talk about how brittle we are and how this leads to us conceding late goals. However to my surprise when I looked at it we have actually scored more goals after the 85th minute this season than we have conceded.

Goals we have scored.

Goals against

So despite appearances we do not have a huge problem in that we are only one point worse off as a result of late goals and actually if it wasn’t for that ridiculous amount of added time versus Man U (I’m still bitter) we would have a net gain of points.

If you took this back to the 70 or 75 minute, i'm guessing through the outcome would be very different.

We also, of course got knocked out of the cup to a stoppage time winner

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There's no safe areas (well, there are in short moments, but whenever you lose the ball wherever you are on the pitch you have a chance of conceding).

That's why I put safe in inverted commas. However, some areas are certainly safer than others. In the latter stages I'd rather than ball be in the corners of the attacking third than pinging around our 6 yard box.

Sure, going gung ho and conceding a goal would be "bad game management", since you opened up spaces for a counter. But dropping down into the lap of your own keeper and conceding would also be "bad game management", because you invited the pressure.

Some might say that finding the happy medium is the game management goal. Keep the ball, don't take stupid risks, hold your shape. If in doubt, kick it out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Happy Birthday, Swanny :vuvu:

Thank you. Oh its a decent one, but happy begins when drinking begins.

bier.jpg

... so lets go!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Didn't we also concede late goals in a couple of cup games this season too? Pretty sure that has helped form the perception we "always" concede late goals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think our problem is that we fail to "win" games after going ahead and not get the vital 2nd goal.

I think the commentators curse on Sunday was Brighton have conceded more points from winning positions than almost anyone in the division.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Goals we have scored.

Goals against

You're missing the late goals we conceded in the FA Cup vs Newport and Leicester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here