Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Favourite Sussex Churches

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Lullington - the smallest church in Sussex (and England)

lul.JPG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My wife's dad is buried there, and we visited it for the first time in years last summer while out on a walk. A beautiful little spot in the middle of nowhere.

Im not religious at all, but have always loved church architecture. Something so peaceful and calming about them.

I've actually started planning a bike-packing ride to take in as many Sussex churches as possible along the way, so this thread will come in very useful I reckon!!

The same here, I’m not religious, but I love cathedrals and historic churches.

The tranquility inside, the magnificence, their history, thinking what they meant to people in times past and how important they were.

Not making special trips to see them, but over last 30 years on various holidays I’ve visited cathedrals in Salisbury, Exeter, Orleans, Liverpool (Anglican), Truro.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Love old churches. When visiting somewhere anywhere in the world I'll often go to a church even though I'm not religious. I think you can learn a huge amount about communities and social history from doing so. When you tie it in with family connections it's even more striking: shortly before the first lockdown I took my Mum on a tour of churches in London where our ancestors got married and their children were baptised from the 1500s - 1750s. Incredible to walk the same steps, see the font and so on and feel that invisible line connecting you to a place, see graves and know they probably knew your family.

In Sussex I like St Michael's in Lewes for the twisted spire, Southease, Falmer and Alfriston, Beddingham and Wilmington churches for visting. The yew tree in Wilmington churchyard is incredible and was already ancient when the Normans landed. Fletching church is also good for history buffs and a lovely village. For views, there's some lovely vistas from the hills, for example you can get views that show the Ouse flowing through the valley and churches at Offham and Hamsey - relatively grand churches to serve small communities rising out of the mist of the flood plains.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The same here, I’m not religious, but I love cathedrals and historic churches.

The tranquility inside, the magnificence, their history, thinking what they meant to people in times past and how important they were.

Not making special trips to see them, but over last 30 years on various holidays I’ve visited cathedrals in Salisbury, Exeter, Orleans, Liverpool (Anglican), Truro.

We do the same - if theres a church we will pop our heads in the door for a while!

The one in Truro is lovely - and Orleans was stunning. We visited a couple of summers ago and there was an incredible light / video / music show projected onto the front of the building telling the story of Orleans. Amazing!

Screenshot_20210511-085011_Instagram.jpg

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
My wife loves visiting churches although not remotely religious but I am fascinated by some of the burials and the once famous people buried there
Recently had a ramble around Poling church and saw the grave of Lord Colin Cowdrey

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We do the same - if theres a church we will pop our heads in the door for a while!

The one in Truro is lovely - and Orleans was stunning. We visited a couple of summers ago and there was an incredible light / video / music show projected onto the front of the building telling the story of Orleans. Amazing!

View attachment 136608

That’s stunning.

We were driving back from Catalunya and made Orleans our overnight stopover. What a beautiful city centre.

No surprise at all, also an amazing modern tram system. Said with envy.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
All Saints Church
2 Water Ln, Wiston, Steyning BN44 3DX
Has a special isolated vibe.

Holy Trinity church
The Vicarage, Bosham Ln, Bosham PO18 8HX
Location,location,location

St Laurence Church Telescombe Village
Gorham's Ln, Lewes BN7 3HZ
Happy childhood memories walking over from Saltdean to collect conkers.

Every now and then we have an anti-religion thread on NSC and all the non-believers weigh in with what a terrible waste of time religion is. I am a complete non-believer, but now is a good time to remind people of;

Art, Architecture, Literature, Literacy, helping the poor and the repressed and beer. Quite a decent list of contributions from the god botherers, when you put your mind to it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My wife's dad is buried there, and we visited it for the first time in years last summer while out on a walk. A beautiful little spot in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 136605

Im not religious at all, but have always loved church architecture. I actually started planning a bike-packing ride last week, to take in as many Sussex churches as possible along the way, so this thread will come in very useful I reckon!!

Same here on the non religious but finding churches fascinating. Just as we went into lockdown last year I was looking forward to the Sussex History group talk on Sussex Churches

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
That’s stunning.

We were driving back from Catalunya and made Orleans our overnight stopover. What a beautiful city centre.

No surprise at all, also an amazing modern tram system. Said with envy.

We were on a family trip as my son was Young Mayor of Newhaven at the time, and we spent the week with a family in Newhavens twin town just a couple of miles away. Orleans was gorgeous. A really vibrant & buzzing city - and so clean!! The medieval area was stunning too. We didn't go in until 10pm, and it was only just waking up I reckon. the light show was spectacular, will see if I can find a video of it. Dont know if you saw the town hall just round the corner from the cathedral, but the statues out the front still bear the bullet holes etc from WW2....so much fascinating history around in France.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
These old manor farm churches are fascinating to me as they're a window into a way of life that was perhaps fairly unchanged for centuries until quite recently. I must've been in St.Botolphs at some point when I was younger but don't really recall it, will check it out next time I'm over along with the Sompting one that I've always found curious. . :thumbsup:

I ride pass St Botophhs church on my rides out. I was got married in St Mary’s church (Sompting) 29 years ago. :eek:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I always appreciate these kind of threads when I was feeling a bit homesick, it always reminds me what an incredible place Sussex is with an enviable history.

Another non religious person, my favourite Sussex church is St Michael and All Angels in Southwick. We used to get dragged there from the Glebe School for our Christmas Carol service. Even though it was more often than not freezing cold you couldn't help but be impressed by the architecture and atmosphere. When I was living in Shoreham as an adult I would often wander through the grounds on the way to Southwick Square. It always felt very calm and peaceful. There has been a church of one sort or another on that site for over 1,100 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here