Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Favourite Sussex Churches

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
There's over 500 Churches in Sussex, some go back to Norman times, some have historic links and famous people interred there. Some of my favourites are Berwick, Rodmell, Streat and most recently stumbled across Shipley Church of St Mary which has links to the Knights Templar.

What's your favourite and any recommendations of where to go?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hamsey Church, sitting on a prominent island in the Ouse flood plain, is interesting. Surprisingly large inside for a hamlet these days, from a time of intensive agriculture.

St Mary de Haura Church in the heart of Shoreham has a magnificent interior. 850 years of history.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I reckon Petworth church would have been one of the most impressive churches in England if the massive spire hadn't fallen down, (taken down for safety reasons)all those years ago.

Last edited:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Norman Chapel on the grounds of ballifscourt in clymping, deconsecrated since 1952 but beautiful small church. Have afternoon tea for a very very special treat in the hotel after visiting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Henfield church, St Peters which goes back to the 8th century, and has a lot of connections to my Dad’s family.
Bishop Hannington, which also has lots of connections such as my parents marriage and my christening.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have a special fondness for St Peter's in Preston Park as it's the church where my parents got married (and where I was christened) but the one I really like is the church at Sompting, one that's part Saxon. It's got a very striking tower and the interior is rather beautiful too.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I assume from your mention of Berwick that you're aware of the murals there.

I have a soft spot for St Michael's in Newhaven, I like a nice white church interior. Having said that, the photos I've seen in adulthood bear little relation to the image in my head from the few times I was there as a child for carols or whatever.
I guess my mind has mashed a few church interiors together for those memories. Or perhaps it felt more impressive when I was 6.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mary De Haura, Shoreham
The chapel at the West side of Preston Park. Beautiful.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I have a special fondness for St Peter's in Preston Park as it's the church where my parents got married (and where I was christened) but the one I really like is the church at Sompting, one that's part Saxon. It's got a very striking tower and the interior is rather beautiful too.

Three medieval wall paintings as well which are worth seeing.

If interested in stained glass windows there are examples of Burne Jones at St Margaret’s Rottingdean, St Michaels and All Angels Brighton Montpelier area, and collaborations with William Morris at the Annunciation in Hanover.
St Barts ‘ The Ark’ off the London Road near Sainsbury’s is interesting. Italian artisans we’re bought over to do the marble and mosaic work on the altar and surrounding areas.
The Chapel Royal in North Street has a Victorian facade but the interior is Georgian and was built for the Prince Regent to encourage him to go to church publicly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
St Nicholas, Portslade. Was good when Hellaby was rev. Crazy name for a vicar, though.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm not sure if this counts, the Chapel of Lancing College.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The 3 St Mary's (Storrington, Sullington and Thakeham) all very old (Saxon/Norman).

Got hitched in Thakeham, go to Storrington on regular basis but favourite is Sullington, tiny Church up on the Downs in a Farmyard complete with effigy of a Crusader.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
St Giles Coldwaltham. Built in 1200 the tower is the original. Special to me because i was married there.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hamsey Church, sitting on a prominent island in the Ouse flood plain, is interesting. Surprisingly large inside for a hamlet these days, from a time of intensive agriculture.

My wife's dad is buried there, and we visited it for the first time in years last summer while out on a walk. A beautiful little spot in the middle of nowhere.

20201015_141733-01_resized.jpeg

Im not religious at all, but have always loved church architecture. I actually started planning a bike-packing ride last week, to take in as many Sussex churches as possible along the way, so this thread will come in very useful I reckon!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here