Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This season I was wrong about...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve been surprised by just how much I’ve cared again this season.
54 years and counting.... you’d think it would wear off a bit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brighton

Thought both Maupay & Belgian Blue would produce a bit more than last season.

Did not think Gross would find himself in the starting eleven again, actually thought he was going to get sold last summer.

Thought we would see a lot more Davy Pröpper.

Thought the league position would be a bit better in the end (like 12-13)... which I still think would have been the case if not the main attacking threat missed most of the season.

Premier League

Didnt think Liverpool would win (I had United as my no 1) but definitely didnt think they would turn quite this shit either.

Expected a lot more from Rashford / Greenwood. Rashford by all means not bad this season but not at the level I thought he would be.

Thought City would struggle a lot more when they failed to sign Messi (or any other striker).

While Spurs being junk really didnt surprise me I thought Arsenal would get their shit together.

... and probably a lot of other stuff.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Great thread

I was wrong about so much this season (as ever).
But these are the main ones.

Leeds
They were going to be humiliated in the Premier League and would be the first team to be relegated.

Palace
This was the year that we would finish above them. Their luck would finally run out and they would be the second team to be relegated

Maupay
I seem to recall something along the lines of 15 goals this season....

Connolly
Similar to Maupay, expected him to push on and be scoring double figures this season.

Jahanbaksh
He would be a regular starter, chipping in with a decent number of goals and assists.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This season I was wrong about......

West Ham - had them struggling.

Lallana. - I genuinely thought he was overrated and injury.........oh - 1/2.

Leeds - thought they’d do worse.

Palace thought they’d go

Thought we’d finish 12th.... [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I said we would get 45-49 points. I was wrong.

But I was right that having a midget in goal was not a good idea. :)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Wrong about Gross and March. Thought Lallana would be injured virtually the whole season.

Didn't see Liverpool's implosion (six home defeats in a row!!). Thought Fulham would be much worse than they are, but thought Sheff Utd would be comfortable mid-table.

Thought Bournemouth would really struggle in the Championship.

I thought Leeds would be OK, but never saw Bamford scoring 15 goals - fair play to him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Plenty of things.

But I really thought Karbo would get a lot of game time with Lamptey & March injured.

I thought Tau would get a lot more game time too.

After the Utd game, I thought Trossard’s luck would change and we’d be left with a 10+ goals a season in demand Hazard replacement.

I thought Veltman would be poor at wing back (in comparison to Lamptey of course).

I thought our luck would change and we’d finish around 12th for most of the season.

I thought the missing of big chances would just stop and we’d start scoring a lot more.

I’m hoping I will be proved wrong on some up coming things too.

1. Biss will go and we’ll be singing Tequila as he does a lap of honour a week Tuesday. He’ll then probably hop straight on the Man City coach prior to his £50m+ move.

2. Ben White will join him with a wave goodbye prior to his £50m+ move to Utd.

3. We’ll stick with Welbeck, Maupay, Connolly & Zeqiri as striker options next season.

4. We won’t sign a left sided defender.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I said we would get 45-49 points. I was wrong.

But I was right that having a midget in goal was not a good idea. :)

Another so needy they can't go more than one sentence without saying how right they were.

Sad.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I was wrong to think that Trossard's pre-season "bulking up" would make him impossible to knock off the ball.

I was wrong to think that Pompey may be playing in the same league as us 2021/22 :lolol::albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
never saw Bamford scoring 15 goals - fair play to him.

Oh this in spades, I'm glad you reminded me.

Despite all my wrongness this was probably the wrongiest I was when full of August confidence.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Albion: I Thought our luck would change and we would stop thrashing people but only coming away with a draw. When things didn't then improve, I questioned whether Potter could keep us in the league.

I also thought at the start of the season Lallana wouldn't be as good as we have seen, I had full faith in Welbeck but I hadn't realised how good Lallana was.

Premier League: I had West Ham, Fulham and West Brom to go down, couldn't have been more wrong about West Ham.

I had a eah way league winners bet, placed top 3 outside of the prem. Man City, Brentford, Sunderland and Exeter. Exeter being the team that was no where near on that front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great thread

Seeing the 'hopes for next season' thread reminded me and I don't think I've done it for a couple of years.

It's always good to see some honesty on a messageboard full of faceless nameless strangers. (as well as seeing those who still can't cope!)

Obviously it's usually saved for the season end but after yesterday:-

I was loud wrong thinking the season ended after we played Arsenal :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought we would finish a bit higher than we probably will
Thought we’d concede a lot more goals than we have
Didn’t think Sanchez would make the start he has and then I expected to see several mistakes from him
Wasn’t convinced we’d see much of Welbeck or Lallana
Thought Veltman would be ok as cover but that’s all
Thought Leeds would struggle (thought their defence was too leaky and style too open for the PL)
Though Solskjaer would be sacked before Christmas
Didn’t foresee Liverpool struggling so much
(Naively) thought our fans would see the longer term aims of the club and Potter’s philosophy and have a bit more patience

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sadly I predicted much of this season's outcome - predicting 16th (which is pretty much where I think we will end up) and precting we would score approximately 1 per per game and win 1 match per month which again is very much on a par with previous seasons.

The irony is we are all too predictable. I'll stick my neck out and predict a bottom 6 finish next season.

I thought Lamptey would have a season to remember but unfortunately didn't forsee his injury problems but maybe that will be to our advantage and we will still have him next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly I predicted much of this season's outcome - predicting 16th (which is pretty much where I think we will end up) and precting we would score approximately 1 per per game and win 1 match per month which again is very much on a par with previous seasons.

The irony is we are all too predictable. I'll stick my neck out and predict a bottom 6 finish next season.

I thought Lamptey would have a season to remember but unfortunately didn't forsee his injury problems but maybe that will be to our advantage and we will still have him next season.

I predict there will be others like you who are incapable of actually complying with the remit of the thread, for fear of losing face.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I keep thinking we're really spark sparking as a team and demolish a couple of other teams with 4 or 5 goals. I keep thinking it will happen, on a day when our luck turns and those nearly-goals are actually goals.

But now I'm thinking it might never happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1. I thought Fulham would fly, when they brought in almost a whole new first team on transfer deadline day (or thereabouts).

2. I believed Spurs would make the top 4.

3. Like a few others in this thread, I thought Gross’s time was up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm genuinely surprised so many people can remember what they predicted at the start of the season, or at least the number of things they predicted. I mean I might remember one or two things - I thought Southampton would really kick on after Christmas and that we'd have another really good cup run. But I really can't remember predicting (as opposed to hoping for) anything about particular players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here