Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This season I was wrong about...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Come on then what were you wrong about.

I know there's a few on here who see wrongness as a weakness never to be admitted too.
This fred isn't for you, this isn't for subtle underhand complements with a knowing nod and a wink.

What have you been loud wrong about this season:-

The Albion

Maty (bless him) Ryan, even to this day I'll still find myself defending him.

The rest is fairly similar to most, I imagine, mainly centred around 'more goals'.
I was wrong about how many goals 'everyone else' would score.
I was also wrong thinking Maupay would score a few more than last season.

The Premier League
(Again I imagine a lot of similarities)

Newcastle's relegation - 4th season wrong on the bounce (5th next year)
Bragging rites over them up the road.

West Ham, Sheffield Utd, probably Leeds.

Football in general
I think I've only got Bournemouth's descent through the league, loud wrong.

Life the Universe and everything else.

I've been wrong my whole adult life about spending money.

If I'd spent how I have for the duration of this season, I'd still be a physical and mental wreck but at least I'd be able to Scrooge McDuck my mornings in a swimming pool full of gold.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At the end of last season I boldly stated that this would be the year that Ali J would blossom into a 10+ goals-a-season onion-bagger and Maupay would kick on to 15+

Mmmm... ???

I shall avoid making any predictions for next season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I was wrong about Gross. I thought him too slow and past it, with Bissouma, Lallana, Alzate (someone else I was wrong about) and Moder all crowding him out.

Absolutely delighted to say Pascal has made me look like a right plum by having a superb season.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The NorthstandChat Confessional is now open.

Come on then what were you wrong about.

I know there's a few on here who see wrongness as a weakness never to be admitted too.
This fred isn't for you, this isn't for subtle underhand complements with a knowing nod and a wink.

What have you been loud wrong about this season:-

The Albion

Maty (bless him) Ryan, even to this day I'll still find myself defending him.

The rest is fairly similar to most, I imagine, mainly centred around 'more goals'.
I was wrong about how many goals 'everyone else' would score.
I was also wrong thinking Maupay would score a few more than last season.

The Premier League
(Again I imagine a lot of similarities)

Newcastle's relegation - 4th season wrong on the bounce (5th next year)
Bragging rites over them up the road.

West Ham, Sheffield Utd, probably Leeds.

Football in general
I think I've only got Bournemouth's descent through the league, loud wrong.

Life the Universe and everything else.

I've been wrong my whole adult life about spending money.

If I'd spent how I have for the duration of this season, I'd still be a physical and mental wreck but at least I'd be able to Scrooge McDuck my mornings in a swimming pool full of gold.

The Albion:
Never underestimate the GPott

The PL / football in general:
Naive to think it is not full of money making shysters

Always read your post before posting, as one ends looking like a fvckwit :lolol:

:shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think one of mine about getting to 40 points may have been bounced the other week. So with three game left against West Ham, Man City and Arsenal, two of those without Maupay and Dunk, in the words of the famous commentary "it's up for grabs now". Three points needed to make me Mr Wrongy McWrong from Wrongshire. Not sure what it makes my interlocuter if we don't get 'em.

And thinking I could home school two bright but easily bored children during lockdown. Yeah. That went well :shootself:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was wrong about Gross. I thought him too slow and past it, with Bissouma, Lallana, Alzate (someone else I was wrong about) and Moder all crowding him out.

Absolutely delighted to say Pascal has made me look like a right plum by having a superb season.

Me too.

I thought Gross would be a bit part player by now. I am delighted to be proven wrong - he's been excellent for us.

I was right about Ryan - been saying for a while that he just didn't save enough shots - which after all is what a goalkeeper is supposed to do.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Definitely Gross. I thought he was a goner after last season.
In a negative - AlexMac - not kicked on like I had hoped. Ryan - never expected that. Trossard - has had a few purple patches but needs to improve. Duffy - I thought he'd comfortably tear up MTL - apparently not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not much, to be honest - I was just a tad more optimistic than it turned out to be. I didn't foresee the amount of bad luck we'd get (and no, where we are isn't all down to bad luck at all but there was plenty of it) - we didn't concede many goals for instance, but every one we conceded counted and hurt us - every one seemed to come at a vital time for our opponents, and was inevitably worth three points to them (sometimes we got away with it being only one, when some team or other snatched an undeserved draw)!

P.S. Agree with #Springal above re: Alex Mac and Duffy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The only thing I can do really easily is be wrong. And that's hardly worth the effort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me too.

I thought Gross would be a bit part player by now. I am delighted to be proven wrong - he's been excellent for us.

But not as wrong as you were about this thread.

Do the edit and we'll say no more about it.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I was wrong in my thinking that we would eventually turn a corner and start scoring goals for fun. The slow and sad realisation that our striking options really are just that bad was a sad one to realise I was horribly wrong about.

When Fulham went on that run in February I thought they would definitely be safe with Newcastle being the victims of their bounceback, very wrong.

I was wrong about the impact I thought Veltman would have, I envisioned him as a backup CB that could help guide players like White and Webster in playing the football Potter wanted, occasionally jumping in as backup like Balogun did. Lamptey getting hurt long term was the reason I was so wrong of course, but I don't think many could have predicted just how good he has been.

I thought Bournemouth might get relegated back to back because they seemed a shitshow for a long time there, and sadly they made the playoffs.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I cant remember what i predicted so i am not sure.

Think i got everything spot on though.( Albion related)

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
I can be big enough to admit it, I was wrong about Potter. I was excited about his appointment and thought he was going to be great and take us to another level, but alas, I was wrong. He has turned out to be toilet.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Gross has surprised the heck out of me. I was definitely wrong about him, I had him in the category of Proper, Dale and Muzza and to be shipped out with those guys. Nope, redefined himself to a Pirlo esque deep role. Fair play to him.

The other big thing I was wrong about was Maupay... I still love the guy, but I really think after a great start he’s struggled this season. No, I don’t want to sell him, but he shouldn’t be number one anymore.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
The Albion : I was convinced that Trossard, with a season under his belt, a good pre-season etc. would be our player of the season by some margin, bringing goals, class and mesmerising play in abundance. He has shown it on occasions, but not consistently as I think he should.
I am with others about Gross' contribution this year - what a player to have in your ranks - he played RWB vs. Marcus Rashford FFS!!

Football in general :
Stoke - was convinced that they would be challenging for top 6 in the Championship this year, even automatic promotion!
David Moyes and West Ham : a brilliant season, I didn't expect !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I vowed I wouldn't watch over paid sports people carrying on about their business whilst the rest of us plebs were still in lockdowns. I thought the idea of 'raising the morale of the nation' was complete bollox that was putting players and their families at risk and that there were bigger things than sport.

At Christmas, I cracked and started watching again. And of course, I'd cracked long before that when it came to watching cycling.

I was also convinced that ESL idea was definitely going to happen. I was wrong.

Although I still remain convinced that it's only a matter of time. The greedy cubs involved have been on this for a good while, and their intentions or ethics haven't just changed over night because of public reaction.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Every one we conceded counted and hurt us - every one seemed to come at a vital time for our opponents, and was inevitably worth three points to them (sometimes we got away with it being only one, when some team or other snatched an undeserved draw).

This hits the nail on the head. We never seem to concede a goal that’s just a consolation, or that doesn’t impact the result. It feels like every single fecking one has cost us points!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here