Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone used webuyanycar.com?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never actually sold them a car but the values they have given me are laughable. I think some on here have had a decent experience with them though.

I guess it’s a balance between taking a low figure with minimal hassle (they do add some “handling fees” and knock money off on the price quoted once they arrive I have heard) or dealing with tyre kickers and time wasters whilst having no idea how long it will take to get shot of the car.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
They ran a classic land grab a few years back, by briefly offering market leading prices backed with a big advertising campaign to establish the brand. When I last sold a car just over three years ago, they were between 17-20% below what a dealership offered me, for an equally convenient quick sale.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, a few years ago My father in law used them when he gave up driving. They gave a figure over the phone and when we took it all the way to Lancing they went round it with a fine tooth comb and deducted £50 here, and £100 there, and so on. Ended up with about a third of what we thought we might get but couldn’t be arsed to take it back, so accepted their offer……. And that’s where they make their money. If people can’t be bothered to make an effort to sell privately or part ex, then that’s the price you pay.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
They offered me £0 for my second car, only 50,000 miles on the clock in excellent nick, then chased me for a couple of weeks to get me to 'sell' to them. That's all I have to say on the matter.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They offered me £500 for an 8 year old Astra with 60,000 on the clock..Went on to Gumtree and sold it within the week for £2500 (which is what I advertised it for).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sold my father in law’s car using them (it was the hassle-free option at the time). Price was reasonable (in line with Parker’s guide for age/mileage) and they didn’t deduct anything when we took it to them (car was quite new though)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
A few years ago I was having a chat with an elderly neighbour who'd tried them. He were disappointed at their offer (less than half what they'd indicated) so declined but were being chased by them. They were warning him that if he sold privately shady people would take advantage of him and work out where he lived. He said he'd had 3 or 4 calls from them saying things about Eastern European gang intimidating private buyers.

One of the other neighbours helped sort it out and the old boy got a decent price elsewhere within a week.

Scumbags.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whatever value they intially give you for your car, they'll knock of a few more hundred (which can often be quite a large percentage) for the most insignificant bodywork damage that should be implicit in the price of a second hand car - ie normal wear and tear.

I've sold 3 cars via eBay auction. It avoids all the haggling as the eventual buyer knows that there are others prepared to pay a similar amount. Just set the auction at £0.01 to get a load of interest (don't worry that the proper bids don't really get going until the last 48 hours) and sit back and enjoy the fun.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The best way to advertise and generate interrest is fleabay. but list it elsewheree so you can sell via a different outlet. I recently sold a 2/3 finished classic race car, advertised on FB and fleabay, swerved a few of the classic/race websites as the Ads are expensive. managed to get the `interested parties' to contacy me direct, cancelled ebay auction, a few phone calls and deal done.

I'd never consider WBAC . . . if the cars worth £5k on a good dsay, stick it on FB market place for £3k or 3500 if thats what you're happy with , if its a goo dprice it'll go in a few days. Also list int on fleabay for the same, plus thhe 10-15% it'll cost to sell.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I used a company called Motorway to sell my previous car. They offered far more than WBAC. They send the car details to dealers on their network and tell you the best offer which you can accept or decline. You have to be honest about the condition of the car and send photos. Whether it’s worth the hassle depends on the value of the car I guess.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I normally drive my cars into the ground. I used webusyanycar about 12 years ago and managed to get some money for an absolute wreck but since then they have offered me basically nothing for my other cars and I have always found a better price selling it to a scrappage firm - which were just as easy and convenient to use.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Last year I sold a clapped out 51 reg Volvo V70 for about £200 less than part-ex would have got me. So my conclusion is that I'd use WBAC for a car that was on it's last legs and not worth much. I think you'd have to be a bit special if you were expecting them to offer something close to market price for a car worth anything over £1000.

The value that they offered on my wife's 2016 VW Polo was a few hundred more than a dealer was offering in Part Exchange, I used the WBAC valuation to haggle the dealer up a bit.

The company is linked to Cazoo who sell second hand cars online (and sponsor a couple of PL shirts). So I wonder if they offer better deals on the types of cars that they will be able to sell on easily via that platform.

Not bought a car through Cazoo / Cinch etc, but they do look quite a good service with free delivery and detailed pictures of every imperfection (stone chip, scuffed interior trim etc), making a second hand car purchase pretty simple.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They offered me £1,250 for my last car which just wasn’t enough. I gave the car an almighty clean fixed a few bits and bobs, popped it on Autotrader and got £3,100. If you want rid of your car they are good, if you want value, look elsewhere.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
There is a reason they reduce the original offer as much as possible, WBAC is a company owned by British Car Auctions. Most of the cars they buy go straight through their auctions. So the cheaper they buy it the more profit they make.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here