Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Maupay still have a future with Potter after this?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Calm, but fairly strong words from GP in the post match interview:

“I don’t know what went on, but Neal’s red card after the game is for something he said to the referee.

“He is frustrated, I don’t know what has been said, but it is frustration for him and he needs to handle that better, so that is disappointing for us.”

Potter doesn’t seem to have much tolerance for players who have emotional or disciplinary issues. See Andone and Knockeart.

Maupay has also been struggling most of this season, certainly in terms of chances missed. He’ll now miss most of the season to compound that.

What happens to Maupay now?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Certainly did show much leadership and emotional intelligence.

I wonder if there's someone who can help him with that.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill there. Potter has backed Maupay repeatedly when others have doubted him. Andone is a different case altogether. There is a lot of talk about him being fiery behind the scenes and too physical in training, which has then been evidenced on the pitch. He’s a liability. Maupay will learn.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
He's still young, works very hard and is a decent player and would probably cost about £20m today.

Maupay will stay in the squad, while the club will try and get an upgrade who can score goals.
And we'll ship out Connolly on loan because of his need of playing experience and also because of his social media misdemeanour.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He has a future with us of course. But if the club need another reminder that a new No.9 is needed, Neal gave them it today.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
No, players make mistakes and he had been kicked around all afternoon without so much as a whisper from the ref, so I can understand his frustration.

I do think that he should be dropped for a while now though, and this red may help force that. He hasn't shown nearly enough quality in front of goal this season, he's had more than enough chances, and I think it now needs to be on him to win his place back in the team, both now and looking ahead to pre-season, where he could (hopefully) have some new competition to contend with too

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
275 games, two red cards. First one very cheap.

(2 minutes in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSpWz8CQupU

Not like he is a walking disciplinary disaster. A hothead yes, but obviously usually staying within the reasonable.

His future depends on whether he can improve himself and if Brighton are able to find a player that can do a better job than him. The red card today probably doesnt mean a lot in the long run.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, I think he does.

But he does cut a frustrated figure and a couple of weeks out of the firing line may help him.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
275 games, two red cards. First one very cheap.

(2 minutes in)
[
Not like he is a walking disciplinary disaster. A hothead yes, but obviously usually staying within the reasonable.

His future depends on whether he can improve himself and if Brighton are able to find a player that can do a better job than him. The red card today probably doesnt mean a lot in the long run.

Good grief. That player that got him sent off. What a weedy nob end.

Neal ain't no bottler.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given that he’s a £20M striker on a decent length contract we are unlikely to sell him. Coupled with Welbeck May / May not stay. And Zeqiri & Connolly only ones left, except an already cast out Andone - unless Tony has £50M to spend on strikers i think it’s unlikely to be ‘the end’ for him

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
On the fence with this one. If we could get £20m for him and get Connolly out on loan, then next season I'd like to see 4 forwards to include :

Wellbeck (if he can be retained)
Andone
Zeqiri
A new addition where we spend a bit of money

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not good enough but we cannot afford to replace him. No excuse for being sent off after the game has finished, thankfully we should be safe but it no gives a chance to someone else

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Surely he only misses the West Ham game? Suspect he’d be on the bench for the last two

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On the fence with this one. If we could get £20m for him and get Connolly out on loan, then next season I'd like to see 4 forwards to include :

Wellbeck (if he can be retained)
Andone
Zeqiri
A new addition where we spend a bit of money

Can't see a club paying that. The teams coming up are unlikely to and no-one upstairs will either. A Div2 club wouldn't be in a position to match the wages. I think he stays unless he was loaned.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep....one goal in 16 games is proof positive of that.

18 goals in 2 seasons. Not to bad for a debutant. Glenn Murray got 37 in 7. Admittedly only we gave him a good run so 26 in 3 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here