Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] One of those 5 minute jobs

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Mrs Spongy and myself went to look at a property yesterday and we both like it but it needs a bit of work.

In this case the previous owners have removed the bath and replaced it with a shower.

We've got 2 young kids so need to put a bath back in.

To my untrained eye it would seem a "reasonably" straight forward job. The only niggle I think I can see is that the bathroom isn't tiled, instead it has a sort of plastic cladding with beading (kind of like what you get in a caravan) which will be replaced in due course as we do the place up. But getting a bath back in would be the most important part first of all.

I have a couple of pictures that I took that I can PM to someone to give a ballpark figure

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Key thing will be services, ie water supply and drain, if there was a bath there before it should indeed be a 5 minute job

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
That's my thinking. The shower tray indeed appears to be where the bath was......

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We've done the same, pretty straight forward, drainage pipework is simple and cheap.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Mrs Spongy and myself went to look at a property yesterday and we both like it but it needs a bit of work.

In this case the previous owners have removed the bath and replaced it with a shower.

To my untrained eye it would seem a "reasonably" straight forward job. The only niggle I think I can see is that the bathroom isn't tiled, instead it has a sort of plastic cladding with beading (kind of like what you get in a caravan) which will be replaced in due course as we do the place up. But getting a bath back in would be the most important part first of all.

I have a couple of pictures that I took that I can PM to someone to give a ballpark figure

Tiling is fairly easy. Get basic largish white tiles, one set of fancy trim tiles to break up the walls, buy or borrow an electric tile cutter and watch the how to do it on the Wickes website. That's what I did and it turned out ok. Lay the tiles in an overlapping brickwork style and you don't have to worry keeping all the lines straight.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If pipework is under the floor under the tray it should be fairly simple, hopefully the walls are square as the bath will be silicone sealed against the aqua panels, normally you would tile onto the bath which creates a seal, I done something similar for someone a while ago Screenshot_20210509-132514_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20210509-132527_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20210509-132547_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's a flat so concrete floors.

I'm trying upload a picture but keep getting "upload failed":censored:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I know Lewis Dunk and Neil Maupay are free, if you need a hand.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Personally, I'd keep the shower and train the kids to wash properly. I hate the idea of soaking in my own filthy water.
Of course, I've been drinking and just watched us get robbed by some pretty crap refereeing(I think so), but I really detest baths and it was the first thing I ripped out when getting the house I'm in now

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
7071EF0C-F900-4430-B3AD-D0DC18A1B60D.jpeg

Place tin bath on shower tray to bath children, remove and put to one side when adults want to use the shower.

5 minute job. :)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Personally, I'd keep the shower and train the kids to wash properly. I hate the idea of soaking in my own filthy water.
Of course, I've been drinking and just watched us get robbed by some pretty crap refereeing(I think so), but I really detest baths and it was the first thing I ripped out when getting the house I'm in now

I prefer showers too but the Mrs and kids love a bath, the taps come out of the wall above bath level so I can keep the shower head for me.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Is the shower tray raised or flat on the floor?

Looks raised.

Can you resize an image on a phone? A picture paints a thousand words and all that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looks raised.

Can you resize an image on a phone? A picture paints a thousand words and all that.

If the tray is raised hopefully the hot and cold pipe work will be underneath, the waste pipe should be easy to re use.
The hot and cold that was there when a bath was in place may be capped off or has been used for the shower valve.

As Wrong Direction has already mentioned on this thread, if the walls are square you can keep the wall panels (aqua panels) and fit a bath to these.

Sorry I can’t answer the question about the phone.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If the tray is raised hopefully the hot and cold pipe work will be underneath, the waste pipe should be easy to re use.
The hot and cold that was there when a bath was in place may be capped off or has been used for the shower valve.

As Wrong Direction has already mentioned on this thread, if the walls are square you can keep the wall panels (aqua panels) and fit a bath to these.

When I go back for a second viewing I will check the walls out. I have a feeling the pipework comes from up top like the electrics seem to.

I want to get rid of the panels, is it possible to cut them at bath height and recess the bath under the lip? If I want to tile in the future the aqua panels will have to come off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION], genuinely, if you buy would money be tight for the overall project?

If the prep is done, I know an excellent wall tiler, who did a fantastic job in our bathroom a year ago. Could send a pic of his work.

Saving the aggravation of trying to get it perfect without the skillset.

Obviously cheaper to fix larger tiles.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Hallelujah. Photos.
20210508_142308.jpg20210508_142314.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I go back for a second viewing I will check the walls out. I have a feeling the pipework comes from up top like the electrics seem to.

I want to get rid of the panels, is it possible to cut them at bath height and recess the bath under the lip? If I want to tile in the future the aqua panels will have to come off.

You could ask if the plinth ( panel at front of shower tray ) comes off easily, this is to confirm what is under the tray.
From what you mentioned above I guess it’s an electric shower which is cold (mains) only, so you will have to see if there is hot and cold under the tray.

Edit- see my next post, posted before seeing photos.

You could cut the panels, probably best to use a multi tool with a steady hand and brand new blade, seal the cut line with silicone.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here