Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] One or two sided leagues

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
As Bayern have won their 400th (maybe it’s only 399) Bundesliga on the trot, I’ve had a look at how uncompetitive most of Europe’s top 11 leagues are and 8 out of 11 are uncompetitive:

England - 5 winners in last 8 years (competitive)
Spain - outside top 3 (Barca + 2madrids) 2003/04
Bundeslega - last team Bayern was in 2011/12
France - PSG 7 of last 8
Portugal - Benfica / Porto 2001/02
Italy - Juventus + 2 Milan’s 2000/01
Holland - Ajax/PSV/Feyernood- 2009/10
Belgium - 4 winners in last 6 years (competitive)
Russia - 4 winners in last 6 years (competitive)
Austria - red bull Salzburg last 7
& best of all is the 11th strongest league
Scotland - last time outside old firm 1984/85

As most of theses leagues haven’t been really competitive for a decade so maybe it’s time someone should come up with something like a European Super League😄

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Can we learn anything from the Americans? I know very little about American sport but they do keep it a lot more competitive than the Europeans.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Can we learn anything from the Americans? I know very little about American sport but they do keep it a lot more competitive than the Europeans.

well they do that with salary caps and a draft system, which is much easier to do when there's just 1 league

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As Bayern have won their 400th (maybe it’s only 399) Bundesliga on the trot, I’ve had a look at how uncompetitive most of Europe’s top 11 leagues are and 8 out of 11 are uncompetitive:

France - PSG 7 of last 8

As most of theses leagues haven’t been really competitive for a decade so maybe it’s time someone should come up with something like a European Super League😄

England - 5 winners in last 16 years - not competitive

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sporting are finally about to win the league in Portugal. Considering they are one of the big 3, it's been a long time coming.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
well they do that with salary caps and a draft system, which is much easier to do when there's just 1 league

If you watch Sky there seems to be only one league here.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

France - PSG 7 of last 8

As most of theses leagues haven’t been really competitive for a decade so maybe it’s time someone should come up with something like a European Super League��

Try this as a comparison to 60 years back:

1960-69-10 seasons

First Division- 8 different winners
FA Cup- 9 different winners

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

In Aus The AFL have a system of salary caps plus a draft system that is a bit like picking sides at school, except the struggling sides get to pick first. I think the Rugby do something similar, mind you the numbers here are so much smaller, I remember the commentators at a rugby match getting all exited because a front row was worth over a million dollars. Non of which would work for the PL, a more stringent Fair Play system would help. In terms of fair play rules one thing they do here to raise money is go on membership drives its not uncommon to see ads on TV pushing fans to renew their memberships.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Yes we can learn loads. Like how not to do sports.

In the NFL if they aren't going to be in the play offs teams play badly to end up the lowest as they get the pick of the new players next season per my American mate. Don't follow it personally but he said its crap unless you are at the top that season.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That is still much more competitive than most of the other leagues.
It will be 6 in 17 next season when The Albion shock the world!
:guns:

Agree, it just seemed the OP’s decision to base his data on just the last 8 years for England was a little flawed as if to prove a point of competitiveness, a larger data set as per my reply appears to indicate that the Premier League isn’t quite so competitive as they were trying to make out!

And no, it’s not as bad as other countries...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here