Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New rail travel excuse - cracks in the trains

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
An upgrade on the 1980s, possibly late 1970s, junk Southern run on the Brighton to Seaford line (not on match days though). The seats are so flat and worn you need to bring your own cushion, and lift one of them up and you’ll find original Spain 82 Panini album stickers, a sweatband printed with the faces of Duran Duran, a couple of 1/2p pieces and several fluff-covered pear drops (still edible).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
"The operators warned there would be cancellations and disruption while the cracks were investigated. Passengers have been advised to check before travelling and to consider postponing journeys."

Not sure I'd know what to look for!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
An upgrade on the 1980s, possibly late 1970s, junk Southern run on the Brighton to Seaford line (not on match days though). The seats are so flat and worn you need to bring your own cushion, and lift one of them up and you’ll find original Spain 82 Panini album stickers, a sweatband printed with the faces of Duran Duran, a couple of 1/2p pieces and several fluff-covered pear drops (still edible).

Fair point about them being old but the interiors were all brand new when they were transferred to Southern.

Blame modern fire and crash safety regs for the comfort of the seats.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Probably best to be cautious, it is unfortunately a problem in modern stock. A couple of years ago the Jubilee line fleet had similar issues, hairline cracks were found in the couplers, it all stemmed from the addition of a seventh carriage several years ago. Disruption was kept to a reasonable minimum as a mobile X-ray devise was used, service was back to normal within a month.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fair point about them being old but the interiors were all brand new when they were transferred to Southern.

Blame modern fire and crash safety regs for the comfort of the seats.

Not sure about that, they’re sun bleached and completely worn, some with the padding showing through, surely no way that happened in Southern’s lifetime, especially the hardy material used on those seats.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very frustrating timing on a personal level, but safety absolutely has to come first.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well at least we weren't travelling to Wolves this weekend, it was a nightmare getting home last time on the trains, in what turned out to be our last away game with fans

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure about that, they’re sun bleached and completely worn, some with the padding showing through, surely no way that happened in Southern’s lifetime, especially the hardy material used on those seats.

I am sure. I work with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here