Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Other Sport] Canelo Vs Billy Joe Saunders

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ā€œ Saunders had tried various stunts all week. He threatened to pull out of the fight following a dispute over the size of the ring. He spent much of his time trying to provoke Ɓlvarez with crass needling. But, typically, Saunders overstepped the mark when he mocked a Mexican interviewerā€™s use of English ā€“ which seemed a bit rich when his own command of his native language can be wayward.ā€

The last sentence made me chuckle.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Canelo was up by 4, 4 and 2 respectively when the fight ended.

Saunders started well and definitely won the first, but as it went on it seemed clear that Canelo had the fight very comfortably under control.

He was a class or two above BJS, but that's by no means a disgrace - Canelo is a class or two above most of his opponents. Saunders is a good fighter who lost to an all-time great, simple as that.

pretty much agree

Had the fight even but re-watched it again with a different perspective and only gave BJS 2 rounds. That first one was tough to score , could of been even.

BJS didn't land a thing on Canelo that remotely concerned him. Was always a matter of time before he got the chance to unload and close the show.

Wouldn't be surprised if BJS has had his time now

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
pretty much agree

Had the fight even but re-watched it again with a different perspective and only gave BJS 2 rounds. That first one was tough to score , could of been even.

BJS didn't land a thing on Canelo that remotely concerned him. Was always a matter of time before he got the chance to unload and close the show.

Wouldn't be surprised if BJS has had his time now.

On reflection I think there will be serious concerns over his mental well being, proud travelling men don't quit on their stools, and regardless of the obvious logic of his corner pulling him out rather than a potential Michael Watson scenario in the next round, the fact that he quit will be with him for the rest of his life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On reflection I think there will be serious concerns over his mental well being, proud travelling men don't quit on their stools, and regardless of the obvious logic of his corner pulling him out rather than a potential Michael Watson scenario in the next round, the fact that he quit will be with him for the rest of his life.

Iā€™d have more concerns over his mental well-being if he had carried on. But I get your point.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
pretty much agree

Saunders made a much better fight of it, than either of Canelo's previous opponents in 2021. Both of whom felt his counter punching power and became afraid to throw a punch. I thought there were genuine signs he was starting to get to Canelo who was showing signs of growing frustration. Saunders was going to have to win all of the remaining rounds to stand a chance of getting a result and it looked highly unlikely. After THAT punch he had absolutely no chance.

I understand people don't like him, but to doubt the bravery of the likes of Saunders or Dubois, is something you can only do from the comfort of your favourite armchair.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
pretty much agree

if he quit because of a busted maxillary orbit and detached retina then i think he'll be ok.....if not then yeah but he's 2.5 million quid in the black after tax so all good i'd say. not a nice injury to get , been there done that.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Saunders made a much better fight of it, than either of Canelo's previous opponents in 2021. Both of whom felt his counter punching power and became afraid to throw a punch. I thought there were genuine signs he was starting to get to Canelo who was showing signs of growing frustration. Saunders was going to have to win all of the remaining rounds to stand a chance of getting a result and it looked highly unlikely. After THAT punch he had absolutely no chance.

I understand people don't like him, but to doubt the bravery of the likes of Saunders or Dubois, is something you can only do from the comfort of your favourite armchair.

Is it not less about doubting bravey and more around double standards? - I think most armchair fans would be throwing in the towel for sure, that's not really the argument.

BJS is unlikeable (based on the things he does vs boxing ability) but when you say stupid things in public, it's clearly going to come back to you:

ā€œIf my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse. I don't agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.

And he has clearly done well financially from boxing, but I think a fraction of what he could have made if he was generally a better person, along with the right PR machine behind him (Joshua / Fury esq)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
While the call was absolutely the right one and the safety of the fighters is far more important than pride or reputation, Saunders has nonetheless received a lot of criticism for the nature of his defeat purely because of his own previous comments.

In particular, 'BJS' slammed heavyweight Daniel Dubois when he took a knee in his November defeat to Joe Joyce when he realised he had suffered an eye socket injury almost indentical to that at the AT&T Stadium.

ā€œYou look at the greats, the eyes, the face, we get through that," Saunders said in the December interview, prior to his win over Martin Murray. "Thatā€™s the path in life we choose for a living. We punch people in the face and get punched in the face.

ā€œIf my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse. I donā€™t agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.ā€

By his own judgement heā€™s a quitter then. I look forward to hearing from him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here