Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ian Wright Home Truths

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Indeed. I have always really liked him, not least for hime being the first black player to look like he was loving being a footballer, totally natural and never holding back with his goal celebrations, which I thought took masses of bottle, back in the old days.

I am also amazed by his lack of bitterness. Sure he can be sad and angry when directly discussing how it all was (and still is with respect to racist nobbers), but it is never his headline feature (in the way constant grief over Munich is permanently etched on the face of Bobby Charlton - no criticism of Charlton at all - some people have the positivity ripped from them; impressed Wright hasn't though).

Likewise his lack of pomposity. I hate it when people start pulling rank over 'you weren't there; you don't have the right to say; you got a tiny detail wrong and therefore invalidate yourself....' bullshit. Some people seem to go out of their way to trade their empathy for pomposity. There's no call for it. I always feel ashamed when I do it (and hope I don't do it too often).

Yes, I love Ian Wright. An English legend

Brilliant player who was very much ‘what you see is what you get’. I tend to think of Arsenal rather than palace. surprisingly the fact that he played for palace didn’t jaundice my view of him ... mark ****ing bright on the other hand can do one.

As for a Bobby Charlton, I remember an interview with Big Jack where he said that something died in Bobby Charlton after the crash. He was never the same person again, much more introverted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Just watched it with my Wife, heavy going. It is the most rewarding but emotionally crushing part of being a Teacher, finding out that a child is being abused and then doing something about it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant player who was very much ‘what you see is what you get’. I tend to think of Arsenal rather than palace. surprisingly the fact that he played for palace didn’t jaundice my view of him ... mark ****ing bright on the other hand can do one.

As for a Bobby Charlton, I remember an interview with Big Jack where he said that something died in Bobby Charlton after the crash. He was never the same person again, much more introverted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, poor old Bobby.

Agree about 'Bright'....:thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really? That surprises me. He comes across to me as a very likeable chap, and has for a long time.
Crystal Palace and then Arsenal? He had a lot of ground to make up before I started to like him! Good pundit these days though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did watch it and was moved by his experiences. One thing that did come across was the impact parents can have on kids who have to listen to parents at war - they don’t have to be in the room. Having experience of a narcissist is in our family, it has made me realise that there may be four kids that will need an extra degree of love afforded them.

Parents overt anger in the family setting or simply having no genuine interest in their kids have a lifelong impact. Many adults (including females) cannot control their red mist at home towards their spouse and/or the kids.

On a positive, most the parents I know either in my extended family or friends/colleagues have seen to it that they didn’t carry on the pattern of aloofness, smacking and bellowing that they knew as kids.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I'd hope that nowadays nobody would accuse someone of whinging no matter what their problem is. Famous or not, listen and try to help.

I gave you a thumbs up for it is worth , you`re sentiments are right . Unfortunately that is very much not the case , the ques for help are long , and disgustingly the que for a simple way out are bigger . It has been my experience that pills are the normal answer , and if they don`t work tough luck we have no available cpns .
I am going through one of the worst times i ever had at the moment , no pills no CPN and no Doctor . Times are tough for the genuine ones , Wrighty should be lauded for the strength he has grown , i envy his ability to rise above those who put him down . I myself grew to be someone i feared , because i believed that was how i had to be to protect myself when i got away . I went to a couple of " groups " by my doctors request and even insistance , the connection between people is incredible , and they instantly pick out a fraud . When you make a friend it is more an understanding than an agreement if that makes sense , but it lasts .
I havn`t watched the Ian Wright programme , i don`t want to , but i respect what i have read here from good people .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I started watching it, but after 10 minutes could not watch anymore as I’d been drinking and knew I’d start thinking, so switched it off...

I watched the full programme this afternoon, unfortunately domestic violence and abuse is far too common and the affects are for life.
Someone posted, basically me too, move on....

Yes and No, I fear there’s more a case of move on, because it’s too painful to go there...

Everyone copes in different ways, some can’t cope at all, some like me slip and out of the memories, dark days and feck you I’m all right jack days.

Very good program, one thing that stood out for me was Ian got off lightly, being made to stare at the wall...
I had to do it with my hands on head, for hours.

Yes he is a legend.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I started watching it, but after 10 minutes could not watch anymore as I’d been drinking and knew I’d start thinking, so switched it off...

I watched the full programme this afternoon, unfortunately domestic violence and abuse is far too common and the affects are for life.
Someone posted, basically me too, move on....

Yes and No, I fear there’s more a case of move on, because it’s too painful to go there...

Everyone copes in different ways, some can’t cope at all, some like me slip and out of the memories, dark days and feck you I’m all right jack days.

Very good program, one thing that stood out for me was Ian got off lightly, being made to stare at the wall...
I had to do it with my hands on head, for hours.

Yes he is a legend.

I know this is not a competition i just want to make clear i am not belittling the magnitude of this problem , however my reward for being me was the cupboard under the stairs .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know this is not a competition i just want to make clear i am not belittling the magnitude of this problem , however my reward for being me was the cupboard under the stairs .

Yes, I know it’s not a competition, it’s strange because my reference to him standing in front of the wall, was because I’d somewhat forgotten about that, until Ian mentioned his step farther made him do that.
I just find it odd, I’d completely forgotten my dad and step mother made me do that but with my hands on my head. Yet I’ve never forgotten the beatings of varying degrees, but somehow not thought that the wall thing was abuse.
Just odd, how the mind works, but I was so young, you just don’t know what abuse really is, you just know this is not normal and feeling helpless, scared, worthless, and unloved stays with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here