Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ian Wright Home Truths

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m surprised that there’s no thread on this programme.

Ian Wrights emotional programme about domestic abuse. He was a victim of physical and emotional abuse from both his step father and his mother as a child. He confessed how it had affected him all his life, from feeling inadequate to anger problems in adulthood.
He came across very well, I haven’t been too keen on him in the past, although his football punditry has improved no end recently, but I really warmed to him last night.

His story made me sad,and angry in equal measure, it’s worth a watch.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
watched it last night, brilliant watch and very moving. He is so, so genuine.

its old footage but the coverage of him meeting the teacher who had inspired him is an absolute gut wrencher, I was in bits

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I watched it too. Fairly remarkable bearing in mind all of the issues he has had to work through in his life, plus the pressure of being a high profile professional footballer brings, he seems to come across as a well rounded and really nice bloke.

Good on him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was a very good watch and truly depressing to see that 1m children in this country live with domestic abuse. As an aside, I thought it was interesting at the end that Ian Wright painted himself as angry on the pitch. I can't say I ever thought he was particularly bad in that way and that the red mist descended no more often than the average. Overall he came across as the lovely bloke that he clearly is and I'm pleased on a human level that he has a happy home life. His step dad really was a massive tosser and his mum is not worthy of the love he has for her.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m surprised that there’s no thread on this programme.

Ian Wrights emotional programme about domestic abuse. He was a victim of physical and emotional abuse from both his step father and his mother as a child. He confessed how it had affected him all his life, from feeling inadequate to anger problems in adulthood.
He came across very well, I haven’t been too keen on him in the past, although his football punditry has improved no end recently, but I really warmed to him last night.

His story made me sad,and angry in equal measure, it’s worth a watch.

Really? That surprises me. He comes across to me as a very likeable chap, and has for a long time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? That surprises me. He comes across to me as a very likeable chap, and has for a long time.

Even on a football level, it's worth pointing out that Palace went to Arsenal needing a draw to stay up. They lost 2-0, Wright scored and celebrated in front of the Palace fans who used to love him.

Pleasing.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Love Righty.

Always wears his heart on his sleeve. Genuine bloke imo.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hard to watch, especially listening about his upbringing as a child, which is in stark contrast to Tariq Lamptey's upbringing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve recorded it, I watched some, but I’m not in the mood yet to hear the full brutality towards a nipper.

But what an amazing person Wrighty is to overcome all that to become a brilliant footballer, genuinely interesting person/pundit and now eloquent fighter against racism.

Despite being Palace, I always liked him, possibly swayed later on by his passion for the England team both as a player and then TV pundit.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

More my fault than his , I think.
I took a dislike to him as a footballer at Palace, initially, the when he gave up the game he was on that talk show come entertainment show which I really didn’t like, and thought he was a bit of a prat. As I say, I have changed my opinion of him of late, and he does come over as a good bloke.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"So Ian what was your first thought when you crashed and wrote off your Lamborghini?"
"Run"...

.."hang on it's my car". :lolol:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
His book was a quite superb read. Comes across as 100% genuine, humble, self-effacing, amusing... . How he could have lived through that tragically awful childhood, yet come out on the other side as a top-grade footballer and all-round decent human being is just amazing.

Yet he still has to face vile, hateful comments on social media every waking day. What sort of pond-slime have we bred that does this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. I have always really liked him, not least for hime being the first black player to look like he was loving being a footballer, totally natural and never holding back with his goal celebrations, which I thought took masses of bottle, back in the old days.

I am also amazed by his lack of bitterness. Sure he can be sad and angry when directly discussing how it all was (and still is with respect to racist nobbers), but it is never his headline feature (in the way constant grief over Munich is permanently etched on the face of Bobby Charlton - no criticism of Charlton at all - some people have the positivity ripped from them; impressed Wright hasn't though).

Likewise his lack of pomposity. I hate it when people start pulling rank over 'you weren't there; you don't have the right to say; you got a tiny detail wrong and therefore invalidate yourself....' bullshit. Some people seem to go out of their way to trade their empathy for pomposity. There's no call for it. I always feel ashamed when I do it (and hope I don't do it too often).

Yes, I love Ian Wright. An English legend

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve recorded it, I watched some, but I’m not in the mood yet to hear the full brutality towards a nipper.

But what an amazing person Wrighty is to overcome all that to become a brilliant footballer, genuinely interesting person/pundit and now eloquent fighter against racism.

Despite being Palace, I always liked him, possibly swayed later on by his passion for the England team both as a player and then TV pundit.

I won't be watching it.

I was gutted enough when hearing him recount how he was treated on his last day on trial with us (with Fozzy saving the day, thankfully; and he has no bitterness towards us at all).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I won't be watching it.

I was gutted enough when hearing him recount how he was treated on his last day on trial with us (with Fozzy saving the day, thankfully; and he has no bitterness towards us at all).

I did watch it and was moved by his experiences. One thing that did come across was the impact parents can have on kids who have to listen to parents at war - they don’t have to be in the room. Having experience of a narcissist is in our family, it has made me realise that there may be four kids that will need an extra degree of love afforded them.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
So we weren’t too far wrong when we used to sing “Ian Wright is illegitimate.....”. Yes, I know it’s a terrible thing to bring up, but I am only joking, for what it’s worth I think he’s a fabulous human being, I love listening to him on the radio and love his enthusiasm for things. I wouldn’t have said that 30 years ago.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My Missus had a very hard childhood, not much physical abuse, but a lot of mental abuse. She’s now a Grandmother but it still affects her in many ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here