Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Loan players

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We had none this season, not sure about the one before but I can’t think of one.

This is another good thing about the modern Albion imo, we are not getting other club’s players up to speed.

In fact aren’t we near the top of the table for sending players out on loan?

This may not be worth it’s own thread but I can’t recall it being discussed much on NSC. I could easily have missed it of course.

Watch us get a player in on loan next season now :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very interesting point. It does show how we are really paying attention to the structure of the club. This is a very welcome development and one that offers us more stability going forward.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And that was a loan to buy I think?

Turned out that way anyway.

I think loaning players just to get a temporary quality boost is generally not a good strategy but its a big difference when you know you will be able to buy the player if he does well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We had none this season, not sure about the one before but I can’t think of one.

This is another good thing about the modern Albion imo, we are not getting other club’s players up to speed.

In fact aren’t we near the top of the table for sending players out on loan?

This may not be worth it’s own thread but I can’t recall it being discussed much on NSC. I could easily have missed it of course.

Watch us get a player in on loan next season now :lolol:

Au contraire, l definately think it's worth it's own thread.

Another reason that l'm reluctant to loan in players, is simply because, in the most part at least, those loanees seem a lot less willing to give everything for cause when we are really up against it, or in games which really matter.

Leon Best, Chuba Akpom, Izzy Brown, can you hear me? Lot's more examples too.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
And that was a loan to buy I think?

I think you're right. The first season in the PL we had a couple but it's been a welcome development that we no longer rely on other team's players.
Most clubs in the PL should have the financial ability to afford buying their players after the first season.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Inbound loans:

20/21 - None for the PL team, but the U23s have Jack Wakely on loan from Chelsea U23s
19/20 - Mooy
18/19 - None
17/18 - Izzy, Ulloa and Krul
16/17 - Muzza, Akpom, Pocognoli, Adekugbe, Tomori

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the money available in the PL, should there be a rule change that unbound loans are banned.
Given the size and stature of Arsenal should they really have been allowed to bring Ryan in on loan.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Given the money available in the PL, should there be a rule change that unbound loans are banned.
Given the size and stature of Arsenal should they really have been allowed to bring Ryan in on loan.

What is it that you see as unfair in Arsenal signing Ryan on loan? Presumably they paid us a fee and covered his wages. Any other team in the league could have also made us an offer to loan him.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think it's best to avoid loans where possible but it's not something to actively avoid.

This season, to name a few, Jesse Lingard has been on fire, Joe Willock has scored some important goals for Newcastle, Ainsley Maitland-Niles has put in some good matches for WBA, Ross Barkley (at the start of the season) was a big part of Villa's success, Jack Harrison has scored 7 goals for Leeds and Alphonse Areola has statistically been one of the best keepers this season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Think we did try for some loans

Boulaye Dia was one we wanted on loan but his club only willing to sell him, and I’m sure we were interested in Brewster on a loan deal but not as a perm.

So think we are selective in regards loans, also most loan players are looking for reg games so might also be a reason we haven’t done too much business on those terms

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I really like the loan system. I think as a Premier League club, we should be feeding others rather than being the fed but I wouldn't be opposed to us loaning a player from La Liga, for example, as a try before you buy style deal. We needed to rely on the loan system when we were lower in the football pyramid and now we're higher in the pecking order, we really should continue to use it so productively. I think we've used it brilliantly so far and more of the loans have worked, than haven't.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Au contraire, l definately think it's worth it's own thread.

Another reason that l'm reluctant to loan in players, is simply because, in the most part at least, those loanees seem a lot less willing to give everything for cause when we are really up against it, or in games which really matter.

Leon Best, Chuba Akpom, Izzy Brown, can you hear me? Lot's more examples too.

Willie Young

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I really like the loan system. I think as a Premier League club, we should be feeding others rather than being the fed but I wouldn't be opposed to us loaning a player from La Liga, for example, as a try before you buy style deal.

I think Real Madrid might have someone in mind...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I really like the loan system. I think as a Premier League club, we should be feeding others rather than being the fed but I wouldn't be opposed to us loaning a player from La Liga, for example, as a try before you buy style deal. We needed to rely on the loan system when we were lower in the football pyramid and now we're higher in the pecking order, we really should continue to use it so productively. I think we've used it brilliantly so far and more of the loans have worked, than haven't.

This. There is a time and a place for it imo. If we need extra cover or a position we could not fill, but there was a loanee we could get in after the xfer window closed, then why not (in the past).

I thought Jessie Lingard was excellent when on loan here until his unfortunate injury.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
When was that season, about 15 years ago when we had dozens of loan players, all of whom were gash and none of whom I can remember. That put me off the idea of loan players for good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

This. There is a time and a place for it imo. If we need extra cover or a position we could not fill, but there was a loanee we could get in after the xfer window closed, then why not.

I thought Jessie Lingard was excellent when on loan here until his unfortunate injury.

I like it as well but there should be some limit (3 perhaps?) when it comes to clubs in the top division. Fulham frequently starting with six loan players is not a good development, its bound to be abused at some point. Could see a world where Manchester City transfer players to New York Red Bull City or whatever their NY "City Group" club is called, just to bypass the limits on loans between PL clubs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When was that season, about 15 years ago when we had dozens of loan players, all of whom were gash and none of whom I can remember. That put me off the idea of loan players for good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Didn’t we have loads of loans under MA mark 2? Can’t be that season though as you don’t forget Robbie “Lamborghini” Savage that easily :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here