Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matvey Safonov - new goalkeeper?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
We’re being linked with Krasnodar’s highly rated goalkeeper Matvey Safonov in the Russian Media. 22 years old, contract expires in 2023. Height is 6 foot 3 so shouldn’t be any complaints over height. Transfermkt value him at 13.5m.

3F5B3AAB-C480-4642-B56C-5CBD446D6562.png

Below are screen shots from a smarter scout article done about him in December, about his strengths

F07B13AD-5075-4F53-BDCA-B5B7A00328BA.jpeg

No wag picks available.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely the "long term successor" is Sanchez, as reliable as Russian news normally is.......

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'll file this under 'A load of shite'.

Although he may want to come from the Champions League to sit on our bench for the next few years.

Still, won't be the maddest one over the next few months.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lot of money for a reserve GK. Steele can do the job perfectly well for another year or two. Progression will be the likes of Rushworth or McGill coming through if/when Sanchez moves on to intergalactical mega-stardom.
More important things to spend our money on - that is assuming we're going to be spending anything this summer in these Covid related times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think Sanchez has well and truly nailed down that number 1 spot. But good competition/solid back up can only be a good thing.

Strange one. And - if true - a clear signal to the existing back-up keepers that they should maybe start looking around for another club if they want any sniff of meaningful match time. Either that or a humungous offer has come in for Sanchez that the club will be powerless to resist in the Summer

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely the "long term successor" is Sanchez, as reliable as Russian news normally is.......

Indeed, Safonov would virtually become an old man at the same time as Sanchez.

Come to that would we really be prepared to meet the Transfermarket caulation of £13m for a back up keeper? I think not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Strange one. And - if true - a clear signal to the existing back-up keepers that they should maybe start looking around for another club if they want any sniff of meaningful match time

I think Walton moving on has been on the cards for a while, but as for Steele, at this stage of his career a nice safe berth as a back-up keeper would seem ideal - and remember, when Sanchez took over the number one slot, Potter specifically said that Steele was his first choice as reserve keeper.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No chance unless we get an absolute sweetheart deal like Andone or Veltman.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed, Safonov would virtually become an old man at the same time as Sanchez.

Come to that would we really be prepared to meet the Transfermarket caulation of £13m for a back up keeper? I think not.
Transfermkt has some good information but its player valuations are made up and useless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sits back and waits for the “Sanchez off” hysteria

Gonna seem like a long close season, we have so many players who might be coveted by currently bigger and better clubs :down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think Walton moving on has been on the cards for a while, but as for Steele, at this stage of his career a nice safe berth as a back-up keeper would seem ideal - and remember, when Sanchez took over the number one slot, Potter specifically said that Steele was his first choice as reserve keeper.

Can easily see Sanchez moving onwards and upwards earlydoors. Maybe that's the club's thinking also, and they're just doing a bit of forward planning for that contingency

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

The bench keeper has to be a fine penalty saver. This is because 1 of the common reasons they will be brought on is after the starting keeper is sent off. It is possible that the bench keeper isn't necessarily the 2nd pick to start games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To think just 6 months ago - literally 6 months ago, this site was awash with the opinion:-

- We must have a good back up keeper.
- Every club has two #1's
- The 'keeper must be pushed.
- The 'keeper must know HIS jersey isn't safe.
- The keeper must be dropped if he makes a mistake.

Thankfully now it's full of posters, possibly even the same people, saying:-

- Nah too expensive.
- Keep Steele.
- My mum will cover if needs be.
- Don't unsettle Sanchez.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The bench keeper has to be a fine penalty saver. This is because 1 of the common reasons they will be brought on is after the starting keeper is sent off. It is possible that the bench keeper isn't necessarily the 2nd pick to start games.

The back up keeper often starts FA, and Carabou Cup fixtures too, with the possibility of penalty shoot outs at the end.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Can easily see Sanchez moving onwards and upwards earlydoors. Maybe that's the club's thinking also, and they're just doing a bit of forward planning for that contingency

Wise words.
I think that by this time next year and Sanchez has played a full season he will have a reputation as one of the Premier League's best keepers.
His young age and the fact that he's in the Spain squad makes him ripe to be picked off by one of the mega rich clubs.

A new keeper will get a year to get used to us before Sanchez moves on after next season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s important to invest in succession plans early.

I see this as another Moises type buy. We know there’s a realistic chance Biss won’t be here forever, so if we find the right player available for the right price let’s bring him in now.

We may quite easily buy this lad and loan him straight out so he continues to play and not devalue as an asset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here