Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Green Party

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Another example of speaking your mind not paying dividends, he probably had a good point in context . . . .you need to be a bit special to be a succesful politician.

I think she said she was trying to make the point that my suggesting that people would think it was ridiculous but at the same time the police appeared to be telling women to stay inside.
I don't think she made the point well but I understand

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see Green candidate in Hartlepool got just 350 votes. Why is it that people only vote Green in Brighton. They must be very disappointed that for years they have made no headway

That's a strange post - the Greens have done pretty well in the local elections - particularly in the north. They've won seats in Tyneside, Northumberland and Stockport for the first time.
And if we look a bit further east, the Greens are ahead of all other parties in Germany - there's a very real possibility of a Green-led government there.

It's been a good week for the Greens.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[tweet]1390638160699396101[/tweet]

Percentages are all well and good but given the Greens only had five councillors ( in the seats up for grabs ) and now have 10 so far the numbers don't really show any great increase numerically.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know someone from Brighton who voluntarily moved to Hartlepool.

He's a lazy workshy ****er and likes it because it's cheap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see Green candidate in Hartlepool got just 350 votes. Why is it that people only vote Green in Brighton. They must be very disappointed that for years they have made no headway

For the same reason the far right do badly in Brighton and Hove.

:lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I fear they are in fairness world realistic, it's the rest of the folks that are burying their heads in the sand.

As for strange beliefs such as unicorns, you would have thought seeing as Scotland's national animal is a unicorn they would do a lot better up there...

Too right. The Greens are the only ones prepared to say that we all need to make huge sacrifices to prevent the collapse of civilisation.

It's just that nobody wants to listen to that message

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A lot of it boils down to funding to raise awareness. Greens knocked on my door, I really hope they get on our local council . . .it's a start.

then they need to start attracting better calibre people at higher level and in some instances be a bit more wolrd realistic. we can't all ride solar powered unicorns to work in infinity foods ;-)

Caroline Lucas is one of the best MP's in the house IMO.

Jonathan Bartley and Sian Berry talk very, very well on the environment and a range of social issues. Politically the greens problems are the voting system and lack of exposure.

If they could start to make serious headway, young idealist people would flock top them

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exit polls suggest the Greens will hold the balance of power in Scotland

Elsewhere in Europe the Greens are ahead in Europe's economic powerhouse

Interesting times...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm a higher-rate tax payer but still a firm centrist and my conscience would never let me vote conservative. As such, I'd like to personally thank the people of Hartlepool for voting for a party that ensures that I pay far less tax than I would under the opposition parties without having to feel any guilt myself.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I voted Green at these elections, because there's only so much longer we can pretend the policies they're talking about aren't global priorities. Not just for our kids, but for people living now.

I also voted Green because I never vote Tory (sorry, I'm just not on that side of the political spectrum), the Lib Dems no longer interest or convince me, and Labour is too busy having an ideological civil war.

I also voted Green because, even if they never get near having "real" power, the more people who support their general policy direction, the more likelihood there is that bigger parties will consider adopting some of their policies.

It worked for Ukip. The Tories were so spooked by the way their vote was rising that they ended up pretty much adopting the Farage manifesto.

Last edited:

I also voted Green because, even if they never get near having "real" power, the more people who support their general policy direction, the more likelihood there is that bigger parties will consider adopting some of their policies.

It worked for Ukip. The Tories were so spooked by the way their vote was rising that they ended up pretty much adopting the Farage manifesto.

That is the key isn't it. Being relevant enough to make the party in power realise they do not have carte blanche to do whatever they want. That is why the lack of a cohesive Labour party is so damaging at the moment. To do so, I think, is beyond them with FPTP voting. It really needs PR to make them big enough to influence policy at the highest level. That is unlikely to happen anytime soon, so they have to keep plugging away at a local level to try and influence change which will hopefully gather traction in other areas until it becomes more widely accepted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One area of Sheffield has gone Green. This was probably a backlash for cutting down masses of trees there.

[tweet]1390666740099686404[/tweet]

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

The political landscape changed following the announcement of the EU referendum. Politics got dumbed down, it has all been about one issue and stupid sound bits like 'we will get things done' rather than policies. Unfortunately enough people took the bait, followed the mainstream media and became politically confused. In a general election you only need to fool 1 in 4 people to get elected and if you look around 1 in 4 people normally have pretty right wing views or else have hidden views.
Even the US saw the light, we are laughing stock.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There's clearly something wrong with the people of Hartlepool anyway based on the result.

I've voted for all the main parties over the years but this ingrained "it's not us, it's them" attitude to electoral defeat is why the Labour Party have zero chance of forming a government for at least the next 10 years and probably longer.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
One stormy day during the Napoleonic Wars, a French ship was wrecked off the coast of an old fishing village clinging to the north-east coast of England.
The only survivor was the ship's mascot, a monkey that was washed ashore.
The people of Hartlepool had never seen a monkey before - nor, for that matter, had they ever set eyes on a Frenchman.
Mistaking its chattering for the language of the enemy, they convicted the monkey of being a French spy and hanged the animal on the beach.
might explain a fair bit about the folks from Hartlepool...

:lolol:
Apparently the monkey was wearing a sailor's suit according to the tale I heard. I can understand their confusion though.???

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Apparently the monkey was wearing a sailor's suit according to the tale I heard. I can understand their confusion though.???

Algendly the poor monkey was a mascot, lately though the local authorities are trying to discredit the legend and say the incident occurred further along the coast in the Newcastle area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here