Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Green Party

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see Green candidate in Hartlepool got just 350 votes. Why is it that people only vote Green in Brighton. They must be very disappointed that for years they have made no headway

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There's clearly something wrong with the people of Hartlepool anyway based on the result.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is why we should unhitch ourselves and get a tow down to South central France.

A couple of years there before heading over and dropping anchor off the coast of Barbados, would be adequate.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I see Green candidate in Hartlepool got just 350 votes. Why is it that people only vote Green in Brighton. They must be very disappointed that for years they have made no headway

It will probably end up being a good night for the Greens they have successfully won council seats from Lab, Lib Dems and even the tories.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Most people think a Green vote is a wasted vote as there is no chance of them getting in and therefore don't vote for them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A lot of it boils down to funding to raise awareness. Greens knocked on my door, I really hope they get on our local council . . .it's a start.

then they need to start attracting better calibre people at higher level and in some instances be a bit more wolrd realistic. we can't all ride solar powered unicorns to work in infinity foods ;-)

Caroline Lucas is one of the best MP's in the house IMO.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There's clearly something wrong with the people of Hartlepool anyway based on the result.

One stormy day during the Napoleonic Wars, a French ship was wrecked off the coast of an old fishing village clinging to the north-east coast of England.
The only survivor was the ship's mascot, a monkey that was washed ashore.
The people of Hartlepool had never seen a monkey before - nor, for that matter, had they ever set eyes on a Frenchman.
Mistaking its chattering for the language of the enemy, they convicted the monkey of being a French spy and hanged the animal on the beach.
might explain a fair bit about the folks from Hartlepool...

:lolol:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I remember going up to Hartlepool for that game where Lua Lua broke his leg. There was engineering work on the line between Newcastle and Hartlepool, so I had to take a bus. It meandered down the coast from Sunderland through some pretty grotty areas. It was a bit of an eye-opener, I have to say. Despite being on the coast, and being at risk from rising sea levels, I think the average voter in Hartlepool will be far more interested in getting a decent job, rather than saving the planet. Or maybe they think the Tories will save the planet as well?!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Because this was a serious vote, with serious issues which meant a lot to people on the ground. A Green government would be anarchy, they have no actual policies and are a niche one-issue party. I know your post was tongue in cheek, but it's important to remember how irrelevant they are.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Maybe because the voters in Hartlepool have seen what a shambles the two Green councils have been in B&H ? The likes of Kitcat, Duncan and Phlem ? The i360 project ? The failures of the 7 Dials, Lewes Road and Edward Street ? The utter lack of understanding that they need to engage with the local population around decisions rather than using the "we known best" mantra ? The daft thing is that Caroline Lucas is actually a very good MP but local Green councillors and candidates are utter effing morons.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
they need to start attracting better calibre people at higher level and in some instances be a bit more world realistic.

I fear they are in fairness world realistic, it's the rest of the folks that are burying their heads in the sand.

As for strange beliefs such as unicorns, you would have thought seeing as Scotland's national animal is a unicorn they would do a lot better up there...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why should people in an old industrial area vote for a party opposed to industry?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Greens are great with their core environmental policies.

Greens are not so great in other departments.

The looney Green suggesting half the population should be under house arrest every evening no doubt did some damage to the party as well :shrug:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Most people think a Green vote is a wasted vote as there is no chance of them getting in and therefore don't vote for them.

Possibly, it's one of the reason people used to give for not voting Lib-Dem. However with the Greens it's more to do with the fact that they're seen as being the party of the smug middle classes, those who can afford an environmental conscience. This has historically never played well in poorer working-class areas where, for example, they don't give a toss how electricity is generated so long as it's affordable.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Possibly, it's one of the reason people used to give for not voting Lib-Dem. However with the Greens it's more to do with the fact that they're seen as being the party of the smug middle classes, those who can afford an environmental conscience. This has historically never played well in poorer working-class areas where, for example, they don't give a toss how electricity is generated so long as it's affordable.

I agree with that - although I think the Greens will do OK in the local elections.

The Labour Party are split, the Tories too far to the right for many and the LibDems a complete irrelevance (although they do have some good local Councillors)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The looney Green suggesting half the population should be under house arrest every evening no doubt did some damage to the party as well :shrug:

Another example of speaking your mind not paying dividends, he probably had a good point in context . . . .you need to be a bit special to be a succesful politician.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here