Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Another London tower block fire in Poplar.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57022678

A fire has broken out at a 19-storey tower block in Poplar, east London.

Photos from the scene show billowing black smoke reaching the top of the building on Fairmont Avenue.

The London Fire Brigade said more than 125 firefighters had been sent to the scene. The cause of the blaze is not yet known.

Parts of the eighth, ninth and 10th floors of the tower block are alight, the brigade said.

It said control officers took the first calls about the fire at 08:55 BST.

Crews from Poplar, Millwall, Shadwell, Plaistow and Whitechapel fire stations are at the scene.

I hope all are ok.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Looking at the picture doesn't look like council accommodation.

So they'll put it out then, or it will be fireproof cladding . . .

FFS, It shouldn't make any bloody difference. heads should have rolled by now regarding all that. but no. let the plebs suffer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at the picture doesn't look like council accommodation.

I couldn’t see any net curtains but maybe all the satellite dishes are round the other side?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
"thought to be covered in same type of cladding..." they dont actually know do they? just make an assumption for the sake of a story. we cant assume that *all* cladding is the same and a fire risk based on what it looks like.

IS there any cladding that's not plastic/GRP/Fire hazard ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"thought to be covered in same type of cladding..." they dont actually know do they? just make an assumption for the sake of a story. we cant assume that *all* cladding is the same and a fire risk based on what it looks like.

Well looking at the pictures it is definitely covered in ACM (Aluminium Composite Material) cladding, which is the same type of rain-screening that was on Grenfell. I guess what isn't known at the moment is it's fire-safety / performance rating of the material used as the filling and its suitability for a building of that height.

It looks like LFB were able to get an aerial ladder platform positioned alongside / above the seat of the fire and tackle it from there.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Well looking at the pictures it is definitely covered in ACM (Aluminium Composite Material) cladding, which is the same type of rain-screening that was on Grenfell. I guess what isn't known at the moment is it's fire-safety / performance rating of the material used as the filling and its suitability for a building of that height.

It looks like LFB were able to get an aerial ladder platform positioned alongside / above the seat of the fire and tackle it from there.

Looks like it's out / under control. No reports of serious casualties. If you note from the photo, the cladding doesn't appear to have caught fire or caused any spread - other than the piece between the main flat and the one above which would have been subject to the main brunt of the fire.

Could turn into a better news story for the construction industry if fire breaks, materials, alarms, fire separation and doors have all performed as expected. From the photo the adjacent flat to the main one on fire looks untouched.

_118415006_kennethlaw2.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd imagine the reaction of LFB was pretty rapid, also helps its not night time.

Lessons haven't been learned from Grenfell, too much of the minorities money at stake.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
IS there any cladding that's not plastic/GRP/Fire hazard ?

yes plenty. its down to design, grades, installation. cladding is used across the world, it can be installed incorrect and present a risk or correctly and not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
yes plenty. its down to design, grades, installation. cladding is used across the world, it can be installed incorrect and present a risk or correctly and not.

I'm aware of this, but it's clearly not common practice when profiteering mates of the governement are involved in state funded projects which should benefit the common man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here